522/625 Software feature would like to see

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Shadowtester

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
This is a software feature I would like to see added to the 522/625 and I would not bet that I am the only one that would like to see it. I would like to be able to make multiple dishpasses for the same show for example Stargate SG1. I would like to have 1 dishpass at a very high priority for Stargate SG1 on Scifi channel only recording new ie current season shows. Then I would like to have a second dishpass for Stargate SG1 at a much lower priority for all channels to catch the rerun on Scifi and network that way when Scifi channels does its Stargate SG1 monday night I would not have to juggle around the events to make sure the other network shows I also record will not be skipped. Or more of a problem is when they decided to to a marathon and cause alot of shows to be skipped. I can change the priority of the dishpasses so that it works ok on monday night for the most part the problem is then when one of the normal monday shows is aired on friday as a rerun which has happed quite often such as Las Vegas or CSI Miami for example. Then they cause the current season of Stargate SG1 or other Scifi friday night shows to be skipped since they had to have the priority set so high to prevent Stargate SG1 from doing the same to them on monday night. I would like to be able to submit this sugestion directly to Dishnetwork but I do not have a email address to send it to to make sure the right people get it anyone have any connections? I think this is really the only additional thing I would like to see added to the 522 since the latest software update the audio dropouts have been much less when the timers fire in the background maybe once per night vs almost every hour during prime time like before much improved.

Hey we should feel lucky its only taken dish what 10 months to get the 522 to this point. I thank the powers at be that I did not go for the 721 or 921 like I was originally thinking about when I got the 522. Now I just have to wait untill Mpeg4 to upgrade to a HDDVR and then make the choice between Dish and DTV as to which has the better package for my needs might be a year or two yet.

I actually have not had any real issues with the 522 except for the audio drop outs when the timers fire in the background while watching a pre recorded show and some pixelation video glitches since they fixed the guide of death and seach bugs a couple of versions ago. As for hardware problems with the 522 I guess I am one of the lucky ones mine is almost 11 months old early part of Sept 04 and have not had any hard drive problems yet. Now see what you made me do I need to find some wood quickly before I cause it to screw up where is the oak when you need it. ;)

Shadowtester said:
This is a software feature I would like to see added to the 522/625 and I would not bet that I am the only one that would like to see it. I would like to be able to make multiple dishpasses for the same show for example Stargate SG1. I would like to have 1 dishpass at a very high priority for Stargate SG1 on Scifi channel only recording new ie current season shows. Then I would like to have a second dishpass for Stargate SG1 at a much lower priority for all channels to catch the rerun on Scifi and network that way when Scifi channels does its Stargate SG1 monday night I would not have to juggle around the events to make sure the other network shows I also record will not be skipped. Or more of a problem is when they decided to to a marathon and cause alot of shows to be skipped. I can change the priority of the dishpasses so that it works ok on monday night for the most part the problem is then when one of the normal monday shows is aired on friday as a rerun which has happed quite often such as Las Vegas or CSI Miami for example. Then they cause the current season of Stargate SG1 or other Scifi friday night shows to be skipped since they had to have the priority set so high to prevent Stargate SG1 from doing the same to them on monday night. I would like to be able to submit this sugestion directly to Dishnetwork but I do not have a email address to send it to to make sure the right people get it anyone have any connections? I think this is really the only additional thing I would like to see added to the 522 since the latest software update the audio dropouts have been much less when the timers fire in the background maybe once per night vs almost every hour during prime time like before much improved.

You can do that all now. I have 2 sets of passes for charmed on TNT and Charmed on WB. Also I have 2 Sets of Passes of Smallville west and east cost feed. Make sure you specify the channel it comes on.

Hello everybody! I am new to this form and this is my first post.

These type of threads about the Dish 522 are making me nervous.

I have SBC Dish installer coming tomorrow to install the model 522. I am currently running DirecTV two dule tunner Hughes PVR's, one in the front room and one in the family room.

They have been very stable units and I have not had any problems except for the family room unit would occasionally lose a channel. I have determined that the problem is not the PVR but rather the cabling as I allowed the Direct TV Installer to use some of my old cabling. The Dish installer will be required to put in new cables!

The reason I am changing to Dish Network is because I like their software interface and their remote control much better than DirectTv. Also there EPG is much better and faster, I feel. I am giving up some flexibility by making this change. However I am willing to do that for the advantages (as I see them) just mentioned.

But...... reading all the problems about the 522 is giving me pause. And sweaty hands. Also I see that EchoStar satellite 110 has been down all day.

This seems to be a rather auspicious start to a new relationship.

Any thoughts you have for me on this change would be greatly appreciated at this time.

Thank you very much

eagle2

I have quite alot of experience with both the Direct TV DirectTivo series 1 and the 522 and I would have to say that the DirectTivo is a more stable unit than the 522 the Tivo software has a better interface and is more user friendly. I think the 522 does have a couple of nice advantages over the DTivo its menus are faster and being able to drive 2 different TV is also a nice feature. I have never used a DTivo series 2 so they may be as fast as the 522 I don't know I really wished that Dishnetwork would use Tivo for its DVR software it would be a improvement.

Thank you for the response Shadowtester. I appricate it.

Given your experience, and my comments, would you change to to Dish?

I prefer the programming package on Dish and DTV has some problems with the locals in my area. Also DTV requires 2 different dishes where with Dish I can use a single Superdish 105. If you are trying to feed multiple TV from your DVR then dish has a advantage also the UHF is nice if the receiver is going to be located inside a cabnet or equipment closet. Currently I would have to say that the Tivo software is superior to the 522 software however I think the 522's hardware is faster than the series 1 Tivo trying to sort large quanties of season passes on the Tivo can be very time consuming on the series 1 where on the 522 its pretty quick. It really depends on your location and situation for me Dish had an advantage. Dont get me wrong the 522 has become a pretty good DVR an however the Tivo is the Cadillac of DVR where the 522 is a Buick.

I have a Tivo series 1 and a 522. The software interface on the Tivo is better, but with recent versions of the 522, they are so close it's not a big difference anymore.

The Tivo has a slower interface, but a better program guide, in my opinion.

The 522 has dual tuners and can be used on one or two TVs. The Tivo can only be used on one TV.

The Tivo can can manage the total number of episodes allowed for each season pass. The 522 always rolls off the oldest unprotected show.

These are the major differences between them. If you want to change providers, the differences in the DVRs should not be a big factor.

And to add to what mrschwarz said I know the series 2 and current DTivo boxes have faster hardware so the slower interface may not be much of a issure either you have to remember the Series 1 boxes are about 4 year 1st generation tech I am sure they have become faster as the tech improved. And I also liked the guide better on the Tivo as well its also covers a couple more days than the 522 if I remember correctly its 13 or 14 days vs the 11 with the 522.

kydigi

I tried your sugestion last night I deleted my Stargate SG1 dish pass and then created a new dish pass for only new episodes on only Scifi channel at a high priority. The problem is that the dish pass added every Stargate SG1 episode new and old to the list it would not let me create a second dish pass for Stargate SG1 on Scifi and it also did not automaticly skip the older season shows like it should. I think dish needs to work some on there current season flag so that the dish passes can determine what is current season and what is older seasons. The discriptions of the showes give the year of the show several were 2002 which should have not been skiped but were not.

This also brought up another feature I would like to see added the ability to edit a existing dish pass currently you can not change a existing dish pass options for new or all episodes once its created your stuck with that choice. Your only choice is to delete the dish pass and create a new one with the new choice the ability to edit would be nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)