Dish Mover Questions

btb79

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
We are selling our house and buying a new one. I am a Club Dish member. I have only a 522 receiver. We are closing on our current house on July 29th. We can't get into the new house until the end of August. We are going to live with my parents until we can move into the new house (I will discuss that in a different forum).

My questions are as follows:
1. Will Dish give me a credit or not charge me for the month I'm not using the service? I don't want to be charged for not having the 522 plugged in.

2. I am planning on using the Dish Mover service. I also want to add HD programming at the new house. Will Dish install a new receiver for free as part of Dish Mover? If I add the HD package, will they install the second dish for 61.5 for free?

3. If I get HD, I would like to get the 942. Should I try to get it or just wait until they announce what direction they are going?

I haven't called Dish yet, I am hoping to some advice before I call them.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Call DISH and ask them your questions if you don't like their answers come back and ask how to change their answers. You haven't provided enough information about your account to give much advice but they have access to all promotions and records.

Call Dish and explain your situation to them and see if you can down grade to a seasonal disconnect $5.00 if not down grade to AT60 $31.99 with no pvr service or 2nd tuner. Also would be a good Idea to schedule your Dish Mover at that time. It will cost you $5.00 to down grade your service and since it sounds like it will be less than a month how much will you really save.

As far as your 2nd Dish at 61.5 there is a $100.00 charge but if you live in an area that has there locals on dish 500 and 61.5 tell them you need one of the channels at 61.5 and they will have to do this as part of must carry. Note I do expect the VOOM channel to be moved when they go to mpeg 4 for HDTV late this year or early next so you might want to wait.

Since you are out of your 1 year, Dish may can put a suspension on your account for the time you plan on being disconnected.

Are you planning on doing away with the 522 altogether. If so you can go under the dishing it up promotion. I am not sure the cost of the 942 under this promotion but call E* or your local retailer and they can tell you more information.

Rowemance makes a good point about the 61.5 bird. I also expect the voom channels to move when the mpeg 4's are available "I think I even read somewere were that bird was moving to another location not for sure may have been in a dream". I would wait on that to see what happens it may save you some money.

Let us know what the outcome is.

Good luck.

I just used the dish mover service. I had the D500 and D300(pointed at 61.5). When they installed at the new location they only put a D500 BECAUSE ALL MOST All of the stuff on 61.5 has been moved to the satelites within capture of the D500, including all (not VOOM) of the HD channels except for the Demo channel. I was unable to get them to give me a 61.5 dish even though I had one at the old location. The other posts are true about local channels (some are carried on the 61.5 bird)...but the majority are carried on other birds within capture of the D500.

So it looks like the only way to get a 61.5 dish for "free" is to add the VOOM channels very quickly if you live in the no coverage area like I do. But don't be surprised if they move VOOM overnight. I'm not taking that gamble.

Also don't expect any of the nice new and expensive switches unless you get more than 5 receivers with a service that requires at least three satelites.

Dish may not like this option, but it is probably legal. They tend to make all kinds of offers to new customers at the dismay of existing subscribers that have been with them for many years. Cancel your subscription (return the receiver if they own it...free...ask for ups sticker) and take advantage of the new customer discount at the new location. Use your spouse name and a different credit card. At worse, if they have the ability to correlate your new address with the old, you end up with the same deal that you would have with dish movers. I regret using dish movers...they were not completely upfront. Too bad one has to move to get any decent promotions.

Thank you all for your replies.

I just got off the phone with Dish and here are the results. They offered to put our account on "pause" while we are living at my parents for $10 a month. When we are ready to move into the new house, they said to call and set up the install. Because I'm a ClubDISH member the install at the new house is free with DISHMover.

I also asked about adding HD programming at the new house and the CSR said it would cost $198 to install an 811 receiver at the new location. I am questioning this because I thought I saw on DISH's website that you could upgrade to HD and the install is free. I will look again. Does this seem OK or should I pursue getting the HD installed for free?

I also asked about a 942 and he said they are only available to retailers. Does that mean I could go through a local installer to install HD and get the 942?

I asked the CSR about new HD technology/MPEG4 to replace the 942 and he didn't know anything.

Thanks again for you replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)