522 activation dn says no

activ8

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
All

I have been a dishnetwork customer for over 6 years...
I bought a 522 on ebay to replace and old 2700 receiver that my son uses

Talked to three csrs today and none of them would budge, I was on hold for about 30 minutes to wait and talk to "an executive" whatever the flip that is.
and ended up with a dial tone. guess the 1-800 call cost em too much.

I already have the 510 through a $99 upgrade plan (sucked in for 2 years)
Otherwise Charlie could kiss my @$$

Now what's the trick that people use to get this sucker to activate

Does Dish not listen to long time customers...
I feel like a stepkid who always has to play with the old stuff, while the new baby (new customer) gets the cool toys.

According to the reps, the 522 is still in a trial phase to work out the kinks... really ? with 50.000+ users ??
I will live with the kinks, and will betatest it and pay DN for it !!!

So anyone have an inside track phonenumber to call and get this puppy to go ?
The advice I got from a rep was to email customer support on their site.. really ? would that help any....

Rock on.

Activ8 <--- funny chose that name awhile back

Well from what ive read, ALL the 522's are on lease to the customer, so you technically bought stolen goods... however i THINK you can email charlie direct (the ceo email addy) and ive heard that they activate them (dunno if they still do!)

CJPC said:
Well from what ive read, ALL the 522's are on lease to the customer, so you technically bought stolen goods... however i THINK you can email charlie direct (the ceo email addy) and ive heard that they activate them (dunno if they still do!)

I believe that even emailing them will not get it activated. I think a couple of people gave that a try and had no luck. Like you said, they are all leases which, if someone cancelled their service, was supposed to return it. I don't think it is stolen merchandise since, if someone didn't return it, they were automatically charged for it but you aren't supposed to get one from anyone except DISH.

This is not stolen merchandise.... yeah I know Dish would like me to lease equipment..

I just have a hard time believing that a long time customer like me
is being left out in the cold..

It just sucks... and I'm pretty ticked off at Charlie.

Actually I don't get this either. DN knows via the units serial number whether it is paid for or not. If it is a legit unit I don't understand why they wouldn't activate them. They could still charge their $5/month VOD fee as they do on the lease units.

they will activate a 522 that has been purchased but it is on a case by case basis. Not sure what they look for but the one person I know that has one activated and bought it has sub'd to basically everything Dish has for the last seven year. The word is that they will be selling them eventually.

I emailed ceo@dishnetwork about this. Someone from the executive office called me last week. I bought the 522 on ebay after I got the okay from the execs. They are sending someone out to get me hooked up and I have to call the person who gave me the okay to activate it. I was told that going through CSR would not work. He also said that they are thinking about offering an upgrade offer sometime in late Dec or Jan, but they're still leaning towards an offer to lease it.

Was there any money owed on the 522 that you bought? I think that would be the only reason that they would not activate.

If you get it activated please let us know as a dealer I am prohibited from selling you a 522. I have got a demo I would like to unload if they activate yours I may just have one for sale.

boba said:
If you get it activated please let us know as a dealer I am prohibited from selling you a 522. I have got a demo I would like to unload if they activate yours I may just have one for sale.

Here: have a FREE set of punctuation! It has everything you need to distinguish one sentence from another so that you don't have to run all of your random thoughts into one garbled statement.

Email ceo@dishnetwork.com
Tell them you are a long time customer and
be sure to give your account number and a
telephone number they can reach you during
working hours.
Someone from the executive offices will call you
in a day or two. They didn't reply to my email.
She setup free installation. They had to run a second
feed.
The regular customer service rep's can't activate
the 522 for existing customers yet. At least that
is what the woman(I think her name was Amanda)
from the executive office told me. She said they
were going to have a upgrade program for existing
customers within a couple of months.
She also told me to look on ebay to purchase a 522,
which I did. Just check the feedback for the seller.
I got a new one.
Good luck.

It can be done - I've had three 522s activated which I purchased on Ebay. However, with each activation attempt it has become harder and harder. The last one took me three days and a total of over an hour on the phone trying to reason with different reps in the "executive office". In my opinion it isn't worth the trouble - just wait until they finally make it available.

jetjock said:
It can be done - I've had three 522s activated which I purchased on Ebay. However, with each activation attempt it has become harder and harder. The last one took me three days and a total of over an hour on the phone trying to reason with different reps in the "executive office". In my opinion it isn't worth the trouble - just wait until they finally make it available.

You got three activated on the same account? That is impressive!

Well be it not worth the trouble.
It shows a tremendous disrespect for current customers.

and I will reference comments, that some people apparantly did get theirs activated.

As a long time customer I feel neglected...

Activ8

For those who have fought with DISH over this, have they given you a reason why they don't want to activate and, if so, what is it? As a new customer, one thing I've noticed very quickly is that long-term customers seem to be shut-out and shoved aside.

Bought one on ebay Friday night. E-mailed execs at Dish explaining that I am a loyal customer and that hd and DVR were not available at the time I signed up 3 yrs ago. That new customers get all the perks and longtime customers get nothing. Left him my account number and the roo and soo # from new unit. Also my phone #. He called today and left a message saying it was taken care of also e-mailed confirming it. I called him back and told him I dont have the unit yet. Will get it sometime this week. He said just call customer service and have them activate it. He put the info in the system and all cs has to do is hit deactivate to cancel my old system and hit activate to fire up 522. Also told me I needed 2 cables coming into the unit. I said I could run other cable. Told me if I had any trouble with that to let him know and he would send tech out at half price to install. Unit should be here sometime this week so we shall see. Sounds good so far. He also said that 522 was going to become available to public in Dec. but hurricanes in Fla. have put installers way behind. Probably wont happen now until Feb. or Mar.

Mike

AHA !!!! So I did email the "ceo" and I had a response back.
My 522 is now activated.. :)