522 and one wire installation

mammothskier

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 20, 2004
I have a location in my house with one cable run and no way to add another one. After DPP44 is available, can I diplex RF output of 522 back into SAT input and "undiplex" it at the outside of the house to connect it to another run for TV2 feed?

The diagram is below. TV1 is connected to 522 via S-video.

TV1
DISH------ ------522--\
D-------D |
/---- ------------/
\---------------------------------TV2

When the switch becomes available your question can be answered until then it is theory. You know DISH has a poor history of meeting their deadlines.

boba is right on both counts, BUT, because RF TV is at such a low frequency when compared to the satellite input, it should NOT be a problem.

That being said, TV2 runs in the UHF band at 500-800MHz which is closer to satfeed (1-2GHz) than TV1 which runs in the VHF band down around 65MHz for channels 3/4.

If you run into trouble with TV2, try using a different (lower) channel number, or switching to TV1 (but you'll lose your MTS stereo if I remember right). If you switch to TV1 you'll probably want to buy the TV1 UHF remote.

As an almost foolproof alternative, consider using a wireless video repeater (available from X-10 and others). It's biggest problem is possible interference among other 2.4GHz wireless devices such as cordless phones and computer WiFi.

Yes, you can diplex the 2nd tuner output into one of the satellite lines, make sure to use a Power Passing diplexer rated for 2150MHz. (I use Perfect Vision diplexers)

(I do this all the time in houses that are pre-wired with dual lines.)

ViROID said:
Yes, you can diplex the 2nd tuner output into one of the satellite lines, make sure to use a Power Passing diplexer rated for 2150MHz. (I use Perfect Vision diplexers)

(I do this all the time in houses that are pre-wired with dual lines.)
Unh. At this point, you can't be SURE "yes" is correct - unless you have already installed the setup we're talking about - the not-yet-released DP44+ with the separator.

If you have, please start a thread posting everything you know about it.

If I understand you correctly , you need two wires running from the dish to the receiver because it is a 522 Dual Turner. Now if you just want to see what's on TV 1 then a diplexer would work but will not be able to view a different Channel.

ou2much said:
If I understand you correctly , you need two wires running from the dish to the receiver because it is a 522 Dual Turner. Now if you just want to see what's on TV 1 then a diplexer would work but will not be able to view a different Channel.
I'm not sure you understand what's what. Excuse me if I misunderstand your post.

Anyway, in general, there's 3 classes of signal:
  1. Satellite feeds in the GHz range
  2. Output from the receiver, in the VHF/UHF range
  3. OTA TV also in the VHF/UHF range
The 522 needs 2 independent satellite feeds - one for each tuner. We've been talking about the DPP44 (DP44+) with it's 'separator' which is supposed to put both satellite feeds on one cable - a form of diplexing, but let's be careful with terms to avoid confusion.

The original question is whether you can use a conventional (VHF/UHF) diplexer with the DPP44 to take one of the 522's OUTPUTs and send it back up the satellite feed cable to make it easy to route to somewhere else.

The consensus is that it will work, but we don't know until we actually get to try it - the DPP44 is not yet available.

The third type of feed is OTA coming in to the 522, which was not part of the original question, but if the output of the 522 can be diplexed, OTA input should work, too.

NOTE: there are special considerations when diplexing a receiver's output onto the same cable as an OTA input. Generally speaking, don't do it unless you really HAVE to, and make sure that whoever installs it really understands what is going on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)