522 and recording time

satvad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
I was using 522 for the last three weeks. I am pretty much happy with it. I just noticed that the total recording time available is only 91 hrs and 55 min. When you press DVR button it shows how much recording time available. I thought 522 supposed to give 100 hrs of recording. Where did the remaining ~8 hrs go? Is this shortage is specific to my unit or every other one also shows same?

Well, I know that fast-moving action (like sports) will take up more room on the HD, but other than that, it's hard to say where your other 8 hours went. I've never added up the total of what I have availible (I've got about 15 hours free).
But they do say the 100 hour limit is 'aproximate.'

Bizzach said:
Well, I know that fast-moving action (like sports) will take up more room on the HD, but other than that, it's hard to say where your other 8 hours went. I've never added up the total of what I have availible (I've got about 15 hours free).
But they do say the 100 hour limit is 'aproximate.'
this will apply to all programs if there is more data on the screen per frame then itll take more space something like that atleast it also states that recording time varies

Also the type of audio will have effect on the recording with dolby digital audio sound tracks will take more hard drive space than recording with stereo or mono audio sound tracks.

You know the 510 is the 5900 in Canada and it only has 80 hrs approx recording and that is with a two day guide. So either there is a heck of alot of compression going on with E* or BEV is reserving alot of space.

Alt

I think that using the 522 in the real world will give you around 60 hours of recording time unless you really like to record test patterns.

Sapient said:
I think that using the 522 in the real world will give you around 60 hours of recording time unless you really like to record test patterns.
I don't know about that.... We have about 40 movies on the drive, plus a few shows, and have about 20 hours free right now.

This subject is the absolute definition of YMMV. :D

As stated, it all depends on what you record. For me, the rule of thumb is about 75% of what's displayed as available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)