522 Cookin at 134'F Shutdown

Here is a link to Maxtor's white paper. This is only one of several drives that E* uses for their 522's. This gives you an idea of the normal internal temps of the drive.

Maxtor White Paper Specs

They quote the temp @ 40'C to 50'C (104-122'F Normal Operating Temp) with less than 2% failure rate.

Failure rates increase as temps go above 50C(122F)

Maxtor says they can run as hot as 70'C (158'F) but the percentage of failures DOUBLES between 140'F & 158'F from 3% to 6%.

I got a chance to see a dead 522 yesterday from my satellite installer. I stopped by to get some longer RG6 cables made. I want to put my 522 on a shelf by itself.

It is no wonder they have a heat issue. There is a metal plate on top with hardly no air gap between the drive.

That little fan(that barely ever runs) is under the drive with no cross ventillation in the box. Even the left side(facing the box where the slots are) is where the power supply is and there is no direct ventillation there because a big part of the chassis frame is in the way. Airflow must be blown up onto the drive, then across to the powerboard and exits the left side of the case. (depending on the direction of airflow)

I don't know which way the fan turns.

I wish this 522 was mine. I would put a different hard drive mounting in it and get some ariflow going to keep it cooler. But as long as E* will keep sending me replacement units, I won't bother messing with it and void anything. I've just learn NOT to keep any DVR events that are important to me without putting them on tape.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)