522 Dish Pass new eps only?

Getut

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
Sorry to ask such a bogus question, but I have talked to support 2 or 3 times and still have no answer.

How the heck do I create a dish pass timer for new episodes only? I have tried every way i can think of and they still come up as all episodes. That is next to useless to me.

You can't! Dish Pass will record Every episode found on Any channel. Thats what it is supposed to do.

IF you only want to record new episodes you have to pick a channel and selct NEW under frequency.

Bummer

Well that blows.... and I think DN has been blowing smoke up my rear end then.

The reason why I asked my question: My 522 has been missing recordings like crazy. I have called into support 5-6 times complaining. They have tried every way they can think of say I am doing something wrong. I have proven to them that even the top two priority timers have skipped... the top two should never be over ridden.

The wierd thing is when it skips a timer... most of the time the timer actually fires and the record light comes on, it DVR events screen, it even shows the show with the little record symbol beside of it, but when the event finishes it completely disappears. The today screen history that previously had shown it in the "recording" state now doesn't show it all. Timers that work correctly show as completed. The failed ones just disappear. Since getting 236 it is doing something new... it fails the timer event, the light never comes on, and now I can't even record it manually. If the DVR is on a station that is currently scheduled for a DVR timer, the timer doesn't fire, and it won't even let me record it with the record button manually. I go through the motions and choose ok to start recording and it does nothing. I can switch to a channel that is NOT scheduled for a timer and it records normally.

Well finally after proving all that to them, 3 different techs have simply resorted to telling me that I am setting my timers up incorrectly. They say that I shouldn't use the guide to set up timers and that I should always use Dish Pass. I would use DP if it didn't record EVERYTHING... but only the new episodes.

I don't use dish pass for anything other than my favorite actor and then hit information search. Then if my favorite actor or actress is in a movie with their name in the information , it will record the movie , as long as it doesn't conflict with a higher timer priority. All of my other timers are just regular ones listed as new on the prefrence and I have no problem getting them to fire . I use manual timers for my ota stations on my 942 and they fire too. You need to eliminate all the timers and recreate them as regular timers and list new instead of all and limit any dishpasses. You can also limit dish passes to just one channel to narrow down the search. Under options you can restrict to one channel and protect the event as well.

New

Actually they are already set up as "new episode" timers. They keep missing as stated in the post above and then I can't even record them manually.

It is Dish that has tried to tell me that it was incorrect to use the guide to create timers and that I should always use Dish Pass (BOOO HISSSS).

If the record light is coming on that means a timer did fire correctly.
Nothing being recorded when the record light is on or not being saved to the harddrive sounds like a hardware problem with your 522. I would call dish and ask for advanced Tech support and request a replacement 522.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)