522 Dishin'it up promo details

Dish Deal ?

I Just got a call from Amanda from the "Executive office at Dish"
She stated that it would no problem activating a purchased 522.
But If I wanted to lease one it would be $149.00
$100.00 upgrade fee and a $ 49.00 installation fee .
Now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside with the way they have taken care of my problem . The only good thing is it make Purchase vs Lease an easier decision.

scrotus said:
mamccart,

Actually for the dvr, you pay the lease fee and the dvr fee. There isn't an extra machine fee. That is covered by the lease fee. At least that is how it is with my current 500 setup. I assume the same with the 522.

BTW, got a call back from Kristen in the exec office. She said that it would still be $148 for the upgrade. It pleased me to just say, no thanks, I've taken care of it with another provider. I think I caught her off guard.

Kristin finally called me back to. She called to say there is no change in status and she still can't get me the 522 offer, and that she's dealing with LOTS of people with the same issue. She said it has to be approved by the upper, upper, upper, executive people. She also mentioned there was a rumor that they'd be revamping the 522 offer March 1, but wouldn't talk any details as she didn't want to give me what could be bad information. But I can say this much. I 'aint paying $150 for this technology, especially if I can't eliminate both my 2 receivers (bringing my total to 1) and avoid a $5 extra box fee (meaning I have to pay a lease fee). $100, maybe, but not $150 for a machine that I am LEASING AND get to pay a $5 lease fee for.

I Agree

traderumors said:
Kristin finally called me back to. She called to say there is no change in status and she still can't get me the 522 offer, and that she's dealing with LOTS of people with the same issue. She said it has to be approved by the upper, upper, upper, executive people. She also mentioned there was a rumor that they'd be revamping the 522 offer March 1, but wouldn't talk any details as she didn't want to give me what could be bad information. But I can say this much. I 'aint paying $150 for this technology, especially if I can't eliminate both my 2 receivers (bringing my total to 1) and avoid a $5 extra box fee (meaning I have to pay a lease fee). $100, maybe, but not $150 for a machine that I am LEASING AND get to pay a $5 lease fee for.

After trying to make CS person rationalize on how this promotion sucks .
I brought one on Ebay $130.00 plus shipping the fact that I don't have to sit at home all day waiting for dish installer to plug in priceless !!

I'm having a 522 installed on Sunday. Now, if i run a long telephone line to the 522 when it's activated for the first time can i later remove it and still avoid having to pay $5 per month for not having it connected to a phone line?

DirtyMack said:
Now, if i run a long telephone line to the 522 when it's activated for the first time can i later remove it and still avoid having to pay $5 per month for not having it connected to a phone line?

No.

It must be connected to a phone line permanently. A screen will appear periodically stating that it has detected that a phone line is not connected... asking you to do so or you will be charged a $5 monthly fee.

Cleve Dean said:
No.

It must be connected to a phone line permanently. A screen will appear periodically stating that it has detected that a phone line is not connected... asking you to do so or you will be charged a $5 monthly fee.
If it's not connected, how will it notify Dish?

Or, if it works in the opposite fashion by it calling Dish periodically, and they charge you if they don't receive the calls, then...
a. How often does it call?
b. Do they charge you if it misses only one? Or, does it need to be multiple failures?
c. What exactly do they gain by the phone connection? PPV? They can simply design the sw to disable PPV, if the phone line isn't connected.

Quite frankly, the mirror fee on these dual output receivers (like many Dish fees) is BS. It's ONE receiver. If they wanna give it two outputs, that's their thing. They probably only cost 10 or 20% more to build than single output receivers. (Same case, same PSU, same pc board, same hdd, only a few duplicated chips and connectors.) They are actually saving money compared to building two seperate receivers.

It dont notify Dish if its not connected, it notifies it if it is. I am wondering the same thing as you Gary. They gain PPV ordering and mainly to make sure that the receiver is at the location that its supposed to be (all receivers at the same household).

Cleve Dean said:
No.

That sucks. What if i don't have a phone line in the room with the 522?

My 522 will attempt to call E* at 3AM or whatever time you have the update screen set to call. I have been online during this time and have gotton a popup message on my TV screen warning me to keep the box connected to the phone line to avoid the monthly mirror fee.

Im using Phonex wireless modem jacks teh same ones Dish sells to connect to the 522 and it works good.

I had to disable caller ID on the receiver as it was causing my phone to disconnect incoming calls. Im not sure if this is because of the wireless modem jacks or a 522 issue.

I actually have a extra set of PhoneX jacks im willing to sell for $29 plus shipping if anyone needs them.

sbrinck said:
After trying to make CS person rationalize on how this promotion sucks .
I brought one on Ebay $130.00 plus shipping the fact that I don't have to sit at home all day waiting for dish installer to plug in priceless !!

Here are the details I received from Kristin as she continues to try and convince some all-mighty force at Dish Network to give me the priveledge of leveraging this offer:

Per Kristin:
"The upfront cost for the 522 upgrade is $49 upgrade fee plus installation.
Installation ranges from $50 to $99. At this point I can't determine what
your installation cost would be.

The monthly cost for the 522 (other than programming) is a $5 lease fee and
$4.98 Video-On-Demand fee (just like your 510). There is no additional
outlet fee for the 522; this is covered in the lease fee. If the 522 is not
continuously connected to your phone line, there is a $4.99 fee for the
second tuner. If you replace your current receivers with a 522 which is
connected to a phone line, your monthly bill would remain about the same.
The lease fee for the 522 is one cent more than the additional outlet fee
for your 301."

So, I guess depending on some set of criteria, you'll pay $50 extra to hook up. She also confirmed that you can return existing receives for a $25 credit.

Can anyone point me to info on this "diplexer" techology so I can see how hard it is to run myself, and how much the goodies will cost? If I can run a single cable, per se, up myself, I'm just going to buy a 522 on ebay.

I just got off the phone. I had no problems upgrading the 510 that I got last May in a previous upgrade deal. Total cost was $99.

Diplexer Question

traderumors said:
Here are the details I received from Kristin as she continues to try and convince some all-mighty force at Dish Network to give me the priveledge of leveraging this offer:

Per Kristin:
"The upfront cost for the 522 upgrade is $49 upgrade fee plus installation.
Installation ranges from $50 to $99. At this point I can't determine what
your installation cost would be.

The monthly cost for the 522 (other than programming) is a $5 lease fee and
$4.98 Video-On-Demand fee (just like your 510). There is no additional
outlet fee for the 522; this is covered in the lease fee. If the 522 is not
continuously connected to your phone line, there is a $4.99 fee for the
second tuner. If you replace your current receivers with a 522 which is
connected to a phone line, your monthly bill would remain about the same.
The lease fee for the 522 is one cent more than the additional outlet fee
for your 301."

So, I guess depending on some set of criteria, you'll pay $50 extra to hook up. She also confirmed that you can return existing receives for a $25 credit.

Can anyone point me to info on this "diplexer" techology so I can see how hard it is to run myself, and how much the goodies will cost? If I can run a single cable, per se, up myself, I'm just going to buy a 522 on ebay.

Hi
I currently have one connected to one of my 510s . In my case I have one OTA cable and one Dish cable connected its like a reverse splitter two go in and one comes out then at your receiving end you split back to Two. Which makes for allot less cable run I am running a super Dish LNB but I don't believe it makes any difference if you are running dish switches I am sure some one on this site has experience with that configoration
Hope that helps
Scott

Diplexer Question

They Cost About $18.00 A Set Home Depot Or Most Hardware Stores.
Most Likely $30.00 At Rat Shack

522 Ordering Experience

Tried to post in the user Forum but it wouldn't let me. So..

I called this morning to check on the 522 upgrade. None of the options they present on the phone system ever sound right. (I.e. no directive for what button to push if you are upgrading equipment) So I picked the good old stand-by of Technical Support. They always seem to do the best.

Spoke with a pleasant woman who validated that I qualify for the upgrade and that installation was required and that the cost for the install of the receiver would be $99. This would include any additional switches, LNB's or any other hardware they may or may not.

I told them I wasn't sure if I wanted to return my existing 4900 and 2800 as it would be nice to keep one around in case a receiver goes down and I have to return one. Plus they only give you a $25 credit. It looks like 4900's are going for between $50 and $100 on e-bay and 2800's around $40.00. So that may be where they go. But the tech I spoke with set me up to return them if I change my mind. They'll send me boxes and labels to return them. If they get them within 45 days after the install, I get my $25 credit. If they don't get them, I just don't get the credit. Thus I can give e-bay a try and if they don't go for a good price I can just send them to Dish for a known amount.

They could have hooked me up with the 522 as soon as Monday, but I'll be busy the beginning of the week so I scheduled it for Friday morning.

After talking with her for a bit and confirming everything, I was switched to their confirmation group. A plesant gentleman reviewed my options and clarified a few things regarding the 522 for me.

As long as I have the 522, I need to maintain a Top 60 package or better. (I have AEP currently) If I don't maintain the package or if I fail to pay, I have 45 days to return the 522 receiver or I get hit with a fee. (didn't write it down) But I can return the 522 at any time and not incurr any fee. I.e. I don't need to keep it for 12 months or anything like that.

So if the install goes as well as the ordering, I'll be happy.

I don't know if this is a good idea for anyone, but I've purchased a new DVR 522 from ebay for $200. It requires a call to the customer service at Dishnetwork to activate it. All I had to do is give them the serial number and a smart card number of the new and the old (leased) receivers. It took me about 10 mins. with the customer service to do all that and the DVR522 was up and running. Since I no longer needed the leased receiver, I was told to return it to Dishnetwork and my $5 monthly lease fee would be waived.

I think this beats paying for all the startup and installation, and the monthly lease and DVR fees. So, if you are current customer, leasing the 322 receiver, I recommend purchasing the 522 at ebay, hook it up and activate it yourself. Pay $200 up front and don't pay the lease and DVR fee for a lifetime -- much better deal!!

ALL I can say is AAAARRRGGGHHH. (Started another thread regarding the "offer" I was told about--befor I saw this one) IMHO---I am starting to have a BIG problem with this whole thing.--WHY do we all have to fight to get what they say we can have? I also wa thinking of changing providers--and told Dish that--that is when I finally got to a "spevialist" who made me a couple "offers" to stay. After reading this whole thread---I'm going to call them again.

You have to pay the DVR fee whether you lease it or not. They call the additional outlet fee the lease fee when you lease the receiver.

I bought a new work truck a yr ago. I did my research, and found the best purchase for my dollar. Now, the same truck is available for 0% financing. SO....... do I go back to The Salesman, The Dealer, The Manufacturer.... and tell them I now EXPECT them to offer the current DEAL.......... OF COURSE NOT !!!! Promotions are PROMOTIONS..... intended to GAIN NEW CUSTOMERS ! ! !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts