522 DVR Function Issues

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I have been having issues with my 522 with the DVR functions the past 2-3 days and its VERY annoying and pissing me off. I've never seen anything like it this bad. Its extremely frustrating. Has anybody else experienced any DVR function errors? Mine is having issues fast forwarding. Sometimes it will not do it. Sometimes I have to "trick" it into doing it. HOW ANNOYING! If that was annoying enough, when I am watching a show and use a DVR function, I will be half way through the show and then it will start from the beginning again. Then it will not work right with the DVR functions. This makes the show almost unwatchable unless you watch all of the commercials. The pause feature always works but the other features BUGGY as all get out. I have never remembered seeing a DVR this buggy before other than some other bugs that the 721 has experienced (and still does and that is another subject that deserves another thread itself). To not be able to use DVR functionality in order to completely watch a show to skip commericals or start where I left off makes the DVR useless in my opinion. It does not do this on all shows that I record that I noticed but it does it on probably at least half of them. Something needs to be done about this if it is a software issue. I am surprised that nobody else has mentioned this as it seems to be a software issue. I am wondering if the new TWC interactive weather function has caused this since I noticed these issues after TWC interactive was added. The receiver I am experiencing the issue with has TWC interactive on it. I did not notice this iwth the 625 that does not have that feature.

I have been experiencing the same issues with my 1+ yr old 522 for the past few days. The unit in general has been pretty buggy since we got it. Have had audio dropout after every 30 sec skip I do as well as other problems. This new one though is by far the worst.

I recorded a football game today and more often than not, I couldn't fast forward at 4x or any speed. Occasionally when I tried to skip ahead by 30 secs, I would end up either at the very beginning of the 3 hr recording or somewhere else in the past.

The problem manifests itself on both tv 1 & 2.

Very frustrating.

I want to to a hard reboot to see if it helps. Do I understand correctly that a hard reboot is unplugging the unit and plugging it back in?

Thanks for the help.

a hard reboot was only a temporary fix for me. The problems came back anywhere from 10 to 30 mins later. Yes, I think that a "hard" reboot involves unplugging the dvr for a min of 30 secs.

The issue must not be known well enough to DNS...yet. I had two separate service calls today, both describing the same symptoms that Stargazer alluded. Not sure why, but at both places, we (the customer and I) could not duplicate the FFWD issues. Not that I don't mind easy trouble-calls, but it is annoying to a customer to have a service call scheduled, only to find the problem isn't present when the technician shows up.

The problem does not always show up. I think some shows experience the issue while others do not. It is just plain weird, to the point to where its kind of hard to explain because it will have different issues at different times. Sometimes the Fast Forward will not work past 4X, someimtes the skip ahead will not work, sometimes neither will work, sometimes you can ''trick" it into working by pressing a certain sequence of DVR commands if your stuck in a loop of where it wants to start from the beginning again. Sometimes it just stops as if the show is over but it isn't over. I have pressed skip back button and sometimes it will start from where it had left off. You cannot watch the entire show without having an issue sometimes unless you do not use any DVR functionality. You have to pay attention to the amount of time left before using the DVR functionality in case it screws up that way you know where to try to get it back to (if you can even get it to do that). HOW ANNOYING! This is as bad as I have ever remember seeing it.

Version 4.12 was sent to my unit last night. Since it so quickly followed 4.11 (less than a week), I'm hoping it is meant to (and will) fix these issues.

I will check tonight and post tomorrow.

Mine did NOT get it. It is in a higher range of numbers that they did not send it out to. Got to wait another week probably. Its going to drive me nuts. One week is totally unacceptable but two? That is rediculus for something this buggy that has been installed in as many homes as it has been for which we pay extra $5.99 DVR fee for. I think people are owed that money back for such buggy software if we are not getting what we pay for.

So happy I found this thread as my 522 is not that old and its doing the exact same thing, mine unlike some of these others is very reproducable, and is doing the fast forward and returning to the beginning of the shows very bad. Hope I get the new 4.12 update soon, or my wife might just kill me, lol

I did not have time for much TV last night, but for the couple of hours I did watch, the unit SEEMED to be back to normal. It looks like 4.12 may have fixed these problems.

Help with 522, Dead tuner?

Any news on Charlotte HD locals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)