522 Fan Noise

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

couger77

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 27, 2004
Kansas
Is it normal for the fan to run 24/7?

Also, it is making a loud rumbling sound that I am certain is not normal. Any ideas?

No.

Make sure you have proper ventilation around the 522. It should only run once in a great while. I hardly ever hear it kick on except for during a reboot or really hot days.

I don't know what the rumbling could be. Might be a bearing in the fan or hard drive failing.

Mark_AR said:
No.

Make sure you have proper ventilation around the 522. It should only run once in a great while. I hardly ever hear it kick on except for during a reboot or really hot days.

I don't know what the rumbling could be. Might be a bearing in the fan or hard drive failing.

Plenty of ventilation - and the exhaust it pretty cool.
:confused:

When I first got my 522, I couldn't necessarily distinguish the sound of the hard drive from the fan.... Are you sure it's JUST the fan ??

I believe the fan is thermostat-controlled so try unplugging the unit from the wall for as long as possible to let it cool down. When you turn it back on, the sound you hear should just be the HDD, not the fan. Is it making that rumbling sound ??

hall said:
When I first got my 522, I couldn't necessarily distinguish the sound of the hard drive from the fan.... Are you sure it's JUST the fan ??

I believe the fan is thermostat-controlled so try unplugging the unit from the wall for as long as possible to let it cool down. When you turn it back on, the sound you hear should just be the HDD, not the fan. Is it making that rumbling sound ??

I unplugged the unit for a few hours to let it cool down completely. Plugged it back in and the fan started up immediately and then it shut down after a few minutes. 20 min later it came back on and hasn't turned off since.

It IS the fan that is making the rumbling sound. Probably nothing to cry about, just annoying. Anyone else having this same problem?

How do you know it's the problem you think it is? Maybe the rumbling is a bad bearing because the fan has been running too much because the box is not getting enough air?

Where is the box living? Inside a cabinet? Above other heat-generating boxes?

In any event, I'd start watching/offloading the video you have saved - you may be sending that bx back in the near future.

I am guessing that the fan noise we are hearing is partially due to the design of the 522. I noticed that the vents on the unit are on the left side (appears to be air in) and along the bottom. A fan on the bottom appears to draw heat. No other vent holes exist on the rear or right side of the unit.

My 522 sat on a wood shelf and also displayed the same constant fan noise (even when the unit was off). I moved my AV equipment around and the 522 now has 2 inches of empty air beneath it. It has been quite as a church mouse since I moved things.

I would suggest checking your air flow. Also check to see if other equipment vents into your 522. My AV recievers heat was released near the 522's intake.

greylensman said:
I am guessing that the fan noise we are hearing is partially due to the design of the 522. I noticed that the vents on the unit are on the left side (appears to be air in) and along the bottom. A fan on the bottom appears to draw heat. No other vent holes exist on the rear or right side of the unit.

My 522 sat on a wood shelf and also displayed the same constant fan noise (even when the unit was off). I moved my AV equipment around and the 522 now has 2 inches of empty air beneath it. It has been quite as a church mouse since I moved things.

I would suggest checking your air flow. Also check to see if other equipment vents into your 522. My AV recievers heat was released near the 522's intake.

My unit sits on a wood shelf inside a closed wood cabiinet with a large open space in the back. My tuner, DVD player, VHS, sit below it on 3 shelves. I will try and move it around and maybe set it up on something to give it more space.

It appears to be drawing air from the vents on the left and exhausting on the bottom. Both of which have very little clearance.

Thanks for the tip!

SimpleSimon said:
How do you know it's the problem you think it is? Maybe the rumbling is a bad bearing because the fan has been running too much because the box is not getting enough air?

Where is the box living? Inside a cabinet? Above other heat-generating boxes?

In any event, I'd start watching/offloading the video you have saved - you may be sending that bx back in the near future.

Just in case, how would one offload the saved video? Thanks fro the help Simon.

RCA Composite or S-Video out to VCR. Its the ONLY way until Dish decides to enable USB. (Which will probably not happen in this lifetime)

Always treat whatever you have on your DVR as expendable.

Mark_AR said:
RCA Composite or S-Video out to VCR. Its the ONLY way until Dish decides to enable USB. (Which will probably not happen in this lifetime)

Always treat whatever you have on your DVR as expendable.
or spend some money and get a dvdr you can even get one at bestbuy toshibia with 80hr tivo free basic service for 200 bucks sorry i read wrong only dvd palyer with tivo but still great buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...98113&productCategoryId=cat03021&type=product

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)