522 for whole house

nitstalker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
ok, since Dish has the 50 dollar offer, here is a question: (IE: Is this good idea or bad quality-wise)

I have a 510 in my home theater which I would like to keep there... (can copy programs from the hard drive, 522 cant)

I have an old 301 in my bedroom... I would like to replace the 301 with the 522 and use a signal combining box such as the 'Super Home Node' or the much cheaper 'Channel 3 combiner' sold on Dish Store to modulate both outputs throught the whole house on one cable (sorta like my own cable tv lol)... such that any tv in the house could be watching one of the two channels on the 522...

Is this the way to go, or somebody have a better idea???

It is possible to "split" the picture to several TV's, three things you should keep in mind.
(1) all the TV's will be on the same channel
(2) unless you have multiple remotes or carry the remote room to room with you you will not be able to change channels.
(3) Add too many TV's and you could have too much signal loss causing snowy/bad picture on some of the TV's

A simple splitter hooked up "backward" will let you put the TV1 and TV2 signals into the house wiring. Note that it HAS to be a SIMPLE splitter, comtimes known as a splitter/combiner - which is NOT the same thing as a combiner, although the right one of those will work, too.

SimpleSimon said:
A simple splitter hooked up "backward" will let you put the TV1 and TV2 signals into the house wiring.

What a GREAT idea. It's so obvious that I can't believe I didn't think of it. I was having trouble combining the TV2 output of my 522 and 322 into a quality signal for the rest of the house, and this method works GREAT.

SteveC

You're welcome.

One thing to remember for all you out there - this method does NOT work for combining receiver (or VCR, DVD, whatever) outputs with an incoming cable TV feed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts