522 Hard Drive problems

Bizzach said:
It's totally understandable. Just like your computer's HD, the DVR needs to 'defrag' once every so often. I've never seen it either, but it is a fairly new box. I just couldn't see it deleting anything you hadn't protected. It should just be cleaning up all the fragments from shows deleted a long time ago - basically just freeing up more space.
I bet Jameskris records and deletes programs a lot...?
i saw it once i believe it does a check and if needs defrag does it

hall said:
Has anyone noticed that this started occuring after the update to L201 ?? I'm 99% sure that's when mine started doing it....

Looks like they messed something up in this rev where it kicks in the HDD diagnostics *instead* of a guide update. We've replicated this TWO TIMES: Set an update to take place in a few minutes (if it's 8:10pm, set it for 8:15pm). At 8:15, you'll get a prompt about it needing to do a program update and you have Yes, No, Cancel options. Pick "Yes". The HDD diagnostics kick in...

If you're seeing this behavior, CALL DISH AND REPORT IT. The last rep I spoke to took my receiver ID, smart card ID, s/w version, and bootstrap version. I also told him that all of a sudden a bunch of people here are seeing the same thing.
mine did it as soon as it got 1.69

Defragging???
My understanding is that this box runs some form of Linux... If true, then no defragging is necessary! Fragmentation is primarily a M$ FAT and NTFS problem...
(Can also happen on Vax systems, sorta...)

As for Auto-Housecleaning causing this behavior, not on my end... I am guessing this happens when data fails crc checks or there are read/write errors to the hard drive.

Hard disks are really made cheap these days. We see at least a 1 in 10 failure rate with all new Dells we order. Manufacturer does not seem to matter anymore. The warranties from the big three have dropped from 3 to 1 year for that reason. I am guessing this is an attempt to delay total system crashes for as long as possible, perhaps to move the complete failure of the system beyond the warranty dates...

CW

It's not running a defrag, though it could be doing that even since it's running Linux. It's doing the equivalent to "fsck" (similar to 'chkdsk' in DOS, but for 'ext2' filesystems). I think I read that the 522's hard drives are formatted in XFS format... Hmmm, maybe that's not the case though as this page, http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/, mentions "Welcome to a fsck-free world!".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts