522 issues (yes me too)

GutBomb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
Denver, CO, USA
I just spent the week with a friend in colorado who has a 625 and I helped him set up many timers. When i came home i decided i would set up my new 522. here's the problems i am having.

click record on a show in the guide (The Simpsons. it's on in reruns twice a day weekdays, and new episodes on Sunday, all on fox). I set it to record new episodes only. the expected behavior: it sets ALL episodes to record, but then skips (puts a cross through them in the schedule, and an "x" in a circle on the guide) all except for sunday ay 7:00 and 7:30 which are both marked as new in the guide. (i checked) the ACTUAL behavior was as follows. The 2 wednesday and 1 of Thursday's episodes actually hit the schedule as skipped and only 1 of Sundays (7:00) was set to record. ALL other episodes of The Simpsons on that channel do not even show up as skipped in the schedule. they don't even show up at all.

I went to check on the previous recordings my wife had set up "all episodes" for "Survivor:palau". I went and looked at the timer and much to my shock the schedule was empty. It did not have thursday nights episode which i checked to make sure was going to be aired and it is in the guide.

Are these known issues? would dish honor my request to swap a 522 for a 625? I know they are actually the same machine, both hardware and software (other than hard drive size) but I had such a good experience with my friend's 625 working exactly as it was supposed to (refreshing when dealing with echostar hardware) and now my 522 just doesn't work right.

GutBomb said:
I just spent the week with a friend in colorado who has a 625 and I helped him set up many timers. When i came home i decided i would set up my new 522. here's the problems i am having.

click record on a show in the guide (The Simpsons. it's on in reruns twice a day weekdays, and new episodes on Sunday, all on fox). I set it to record new episodes only. the expected behavior: it sets ALL episodes to record, but then skips (puts a cross through them in the schedule, and an "x" in a circle on the guide) all except for sunday ay 7:00 and 7:30 which are both marked as new in the guide. (i checked) the ACTUAL behavior was as follows. The 2 wednesday and 1 of Thursday's episodes actually hit the schedule as skipped and only 1 of Sundays (7:00) was set to record. ALL other episodes of The Simpsons on that channel do not even show up as skipped in the schedule. they don't even show up at all.

I went to check on the previous recordings my wife had set up "all episodes" for "Survivor:palau". I went and looked at the timer and much to my shock the schedule was empty. It did not have thursday nights episode which i checked to make sure was going to be aired and it is in the guide.

Are these known issues? would dish honor my request to swap a 522 for a 625? I know they are actually the same machine, both hardware and software (other than hard drive size) but I had such a good experience with my friend's 625 working exactly as it was supposed to (refreshing when dealing with echostar hardware) and now my 522 just doesn't work right.

You would probably have to bitch and complain a long time for that happen for free.

If you don't mind shelling out cash you can ask them how much it is to swap out a 522 for 625.

ok, anyone that has read my thread above... is my dvr behaving correctly? I don't think it is, because all this stuff worked the way i expected it to on my friend's 625.

NO, it is not working correctly. I happen to have those same timers set on mine (Simpsons New and Survivor ALL), and they work just the way you would think they should. I get two Simpsons on Sunday and one Survivor on Thursday.

maximum said:
You probably had a bad guide download before and the latest guide update fixed the problem. Just a guess.
I agree 100%. Timers set, but things are not as you'd expect in Daily Schedule. I see this ALL the time. You cannot trust the 522 to record what you've asked. The burden is on you to check Daily Schedule every day after the previous night's guide download and verify. If things are amiss - as is often the case with my 522 - you need to manually run a "check switch" which will force a new guide download. After the download has finiehed (several minutes), don't even look at Daily schedule for about ten more minutes. It seems to take that long after a guide download for all things to get populated. Then tentatively look at Daily Schedule to see if things looks good. If not, repeat. You probably should start setting your alarm clock an hour earlier than normal so you can add this to your daily routine.

Dish CSR's will deny that this happens. They've never heard of it. You may be able to get them to fill out an "Uncommon Trend Report", also known as "/dev/null" to many of us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts