Send Dish a Message

kirkdj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Maybe if we all sent Dish something like this we could make them see the light?

"Please change the Voom installation fee of $100.....it should be a FREE install as everything else. I would love to get it, but I can't aford that fee and your monthly bill too. Dish will be loosing much more $$.....you could maybe have millions paying $5 a mo.....or you could have a few hundred thousand paying the $100 fee.....which makes more since?"

Just an idea :confused:

kirkdj said:
Maybe if we all sent Dish something like this we could make them see the light?

"Please change the Voom installation fee of $100.....it should be a FREE install as everything else. I would love to get it, but I can't aford that fee and your monthly bill too. Dish will be loosing much more $$.....you could maybe have millions paying $5 a mo.....or you could have a few hundred thousand paying the $100 fee.....which makes more since?"

Just an idea :confused:

considering the fact that dish has basicly said it willb e temporary at 61.5, people are getting 200 dollar switches in superdish markets, the dish itself cost is around 50 bucks and they have to pay the installer they are still losing money... and youde have to sub to the voom channels for nearly 3 years to make up for the cost.

On the other hand:

You've got an HDTV that cost maybe $2500 or more
you should have an A/V reveiver that cost at least 200 or 300 bucks
that means six speakers including a sub
you're programming is at least around $75 a month with the HD pak

and you're saying a $100 dish install is too much for 10 new HD channels???

fred

If you have the 811 leased in a new install your not paying anything extra. If you want the 921/942 yeah your going to fork out a pretty penny, but if you see the roi in it then Charlie isn't going to your mind. 61.5 has been mentioned will be the main bird for HD prog so 100$ is to allow the capability of getting most if not all future HD channels that E* comes out with.

Why should Charlie pay for you to enjoy HDTV? Is he just supposed to bow down and say, "Hey you got a HDTV to reward you I am going to give you all kinds of expensive hardware for free, just because you purchased a HDTV"

It don't work that way, you are the one who purchased a HDTV, if you want more HD content, $100 is more then fair for getting upgraded by Dish Network to receive it.

Once you have it installed you will say it is money well spent. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Why should Charlie pay for you to enjoy HDTV? Is he just supposed to bow down and say, "Hey you got a HDTV to reward you I am going to give you all kinds of expensive hardware for free, just because you purchased a HDTV"

It's pretty easy to tell who are the installers and others that make money from E* on this forum.

"Hey, pay $100 here for this. Yo! Pay $250 there for this. Afterall, you paid big bucks for your HDTV so nickel and diming shouldn't bother you."

Where will it end? $5 for additional HD Channels that should have been added to the HD Pack. $100 for a dish to pick it up. Now, I'm guessing anywhere from $250 to $600 for replacement Mpeg-4 receivers. Probably more $$ when the other 11 Voom HD channels come on line.

Yeah, Charley doesn't owe us anything. But we don't owe Charley anything either. Overall, it is a business decision and if he wants to price himself out of the HD business then so be it. Down the road, I think D* will win the battle given the working capitol behind D*.

D* is supposed to have an announcement in June. I can easily wait to see what it is and not shell out $$ to E*. Being a business decision, if D* has a better deal then E* will be history in my house. If E* has the better deal then I stay. I would have never considered D* a month ago. I look around my neighborhood and Dish is outnumbered 3 to 1 by DirectTv. One thing for sure, Charley has lost my loyalty.

funny thing is... i make no money off E* D* or really anything sat related...

People have to get paid to do the installs... the equipment for someone with a superdish alone costs 250... 100 for 250 worth of equipment is a bargain.

As for the cost of the HD pack and such do yu have any idea how much space just 1 hd channel takes up... the cost for carrying that channel and using the uplink... dish is probably still losing money on HD... its not like they can magicly add transponders up there or suddenly be able to add an uplink... these are multi billion dollar investments. 5 dollars extra for 10 channels of HD... if i was still a dish customer ide jump at the 100 to upgrade to get them.

Dish is already subsidizing the equipment upgrade.

Satellite dish: $50
LNB: $60
Switch: $75-$180
Labor: $100
------------------------
Total: $285-$390

Your price: $100

They're giving you a pretty good deal, but they aren't giving away the farm.

Harry said:
It's pretty easy to tell who are the installers and others that make money from E* on this forum.

"Hey, pay $100 here for this. Yo! Pay $250 there for this. Afterall, you paid big bucks for your HDTV so nickel and diming shouldn't bother you."

Where will it end? $5 for additional HD Channels that should have been added to the HD Pack. $100 for a dish to pick it up. Now, I'm guessing anywhere from $250 to $600 for replacement Mpeg-4 receivers. Probably more $$ when the other 11 Voom HD channels come on line.

Yeah, Charley doesn't owe us anything. But we don't owe Charley anything either. Overall, it is a business decision and if he wants to price himself out of the HD business then so be it. Down the road, I think D* will win the battle given the working capitol behind D*.

D* is supposed to have an announcement in June. I can easily wait to see what it is and not shell out $$ to E*. Being a business decision, if D* has a better deal then E* will be history in my house. If E* has the better deal then I stay. I would have never considered D* a month ago. I look around my neighborhood and Dish is outnumbered 3 to 1 by DirectTv. One thing for sure, Charley has lost my loyalty.
Harry, if you want to lay out $900 for the D* HD PVR, go ahead. They have a different business model. They want you to buy into their equipment to the point where you can't switch, because of the amount you have invested in equipment.

E*'s model is to get you in at a lower out-of-pocket, then get some of it back incrementally. Do whichever works better for your financial situation.

Neither one is going away in the long run. Both models work.

Harry said:

"Hey, pay $100 here for this. Yo! Pay $250 there for this. After all, you paid big bucks for your HDTV so nickel and diming shouldn't bother you."
Sorry not an installer, and I don't make any money from E*.

Again you seem to want the world for free just because you purchased a HDTV. You don't seem to comprehend that the $100 fee is LESS then it costs the installer for the equipment and that includes labor of installing it as well.

No one is forcing you from paying the $100 to upgrade, if you can find the parts elsewhere and want to install your own dish then GO FOR IT! But if your going to sit on your butt, cry you want more HD Channels then complain that you need to pay to have someone do this stuff for you then I really don't want to hear it.

People keep saying they want more and more HD content, and now that there is more content people are upset that they need to pay for it, like HDTV was a god given free service, or like they should be entitled to it just because they purchased a HDTV.

As much as a shyster Charlie is, his job is to make money for his company and more importantly his shareholders. By adding HD content Charlie made a bet that he could earn revenue from these services to make his shareholders happy. I think that Charlie did good on this one, and the fact that he is giving upgrades to customers for less then dealers can purchase the equipment for speaks volumes to me. For once Charlie did good.

Harry said:

sorry but Scott doesn't get paid by Dish (or Direct or anyone) :)

It’s funny how people want a handout all the time.

Lets see…some of these people paid 750 bucks for their equipment without blinking an eye, damn near had a nervous breakdown when Voom went belly up, yet these same people are whining because they have to pay $100 for a 2nd dish.

The only thing I have taken from Dish in 5 years is a free 2nd dish for a must carry local that Dish HAS TO GIVE US. All the other equipment I have had, I paid for
-3000 and a 4000 receiver
-2 301’s to replace the above
-couple more 301’s
-Dish at the lake and a receiver there
-replaced the dish & receiver when the place burned down
-bought a 508 from the DishStore

Am I complaining? Nope. It’s the belly of the beast

My favorite ones are the people who have locals on Superdish and are whining because they need to pay another $100 to see HD…..let’s see people…those DPP44’s are more than $100. You’re getting a hell of a deal.

ya know, I got a DPP44 off ebay, $48 shipped, got a couple seperators from Dishstore.net and picked up a Dish500 with DPlnb, mounting hardware and 100 feet coax for $58 from my local sat shop. Installed it myself at 61.5. Yeah, it cost more than $100, but the value of the stuff I bought is well more than $100 and I get the satisfaction of doing it myself and not waiting on the installers schedule. Anyone can do a single sat install. Just two factors to deal with, not 3 like a 500 or superdish.

Edit:
let me add that I had to buy a pole and some quickcrete for it to mount the dish on. And a few hours labor (the free kind that I do for myself).

SatinKzo said:
ya know, I got a DPP44 off ebay, $48 shipped, got a couple seperators from Dishstore.net and picked up a Dish500 with DPlnb, mounting hardware and 100 feet coax for $58 from my local sat shop. Installed it myself at 61.5. Yeah, it cost more than $100, but the value of the stuff I bought is well more than $100 and I get the satisfaction of doing it myself and not waiting on the installers schedule. Anyone can do a single sat install. Just two factors to deal with, not 3 like a 500 or superdish.

Edit:
let me add that I had to buy a pole and some quickcrete for it to mount the dish on. And a few hours labor (the free kind that I do for myself).
That's the point. You're going to spend the $100 anyway. You can do it if you feel qualified, or you can have an installer do it. Why bitch about the $100.

Let me add that I also get to place the dish in an area I choose, not one the installer insists is best (like hanging off my garage). No offense to installers here, I know you have enough to deal with and I don't expect you to be as picky as every homeowner.

I think the $100 is a good deal, but I had a bad experience with my Dish500 install and chose to do this myself due to that. I mean, if you can read a compass, use a level and a couple wrenches, you can do an install, and probably cheaper than I did it if you are freaking over the $100.

mdonnelly said:
Dish is already subsidizing the equipment upgrade.

Satellite dish: $50
LNB: $60
Switch: $75-$180
Labor: $100
------------------------
Total: $285-$390

Your price: $100

They're giving you a pretty good deal, but they aren't giving away the farm.
Yikes somebody needs a new buyer. Single quantity end-user pricing on this stuff is much cheaper:
Satellite dish: $25
LNB: $25
Switch SW64: $90

We bitched and whined that we wanted more HD content and finally we get it. These channels aren't cheap to put up there. I personally am very grateful that they added the Voom HD and will be adding more soon. One of the big dish retailers is a friend of mine and gave me the equipment real cheap but I would and will pay gladly to get this HD thing going.

I think we are just entering a new phase for HD. In the past there was very little programming and a lot of people were sitting on the sidelines because they felt that it was not worth it to spend the money on recievers and HD ready tv's. Now we are just getting enough programming where it may entice some more to join in and soon everyone will be in and we will have much lower prices on programming and equipment. In the mean time those of us who have it now have to pay a little more if we expect to keep HD growing.

rvsixer said:
Yikes somebody needs a new buyer. Single quantity end-user pricing on this stuff is much cheaper:
Satellite dish: $25
LNB: $25
Switch SW64: $90

Legacy stuff yes

He was quoting DishPro...those DPP44 ain't cheap :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)