522 L2.06 Release Notes

TuxCoder said:
Their site still currently shows L2.05. Hopefully they update it the same time they start spooling, especially since it's only a once-a-month or so event.

Site is showing it now.

522 L2.06, 10/22/2004,
L2.05 9/10/2004

Just hit the System Info button on the front of the 522. Software version will read L205... or L206...

can anyone with a 522 download the new software now? Or is it being rolled out to only some of the subscribers at this time?

Just checked. I've got L206GAGD-N already.

But I've been gone since 3:30 AM so I haven't had a chance to check out playback sync/audio chrip fix yet.
:cool:

got 2.06 yesterday or last night

I've got 2.06 now and I've already seen the popping problem once (it was worse than I'd ever seen it) but outside of that event which seemed to resolve itself after I paused and restarted, it seems a little better so I'm holding out hope.

I also recently started getting notification that I was going to lose everything in 7 days (which it repeated as 7 days for 2 more days) but now the message is gone and the hard drive button is not accessible from the diagnostic menu. so I guess it's possible that the popping was a result of some HD error that didn't get picked up last night due to the update?

In any case, haven't seen any sync issues yet and again outside of that one issue I'm holding out hope...

back to trying to watch about 20 hours of saved stuff just in case it's going away in a few days...

How come I can't get this software? I've done exactly what it says under the DishNetwork.com Tech section... I tune to the Point Sat screen... verify signal... turn my 522 off for 15 mins... I turn it back on... and its still L2.05

unless something has changed recently, Dish only updates a group of receivers at a time. This is the first time that I've received the update so quickly so they may randomly select the groups. In the past I've always had to wait a week or two.

I suspect that because of all of the problems that they've had with the 522s they're afraid to release the software too quickly in case there's some serious problems that made it past the QC team.

rhollinger said:
the hard drive button is not accessible from the diagnostic menu.

The Hard Drive button has never been active. It's always been grayed out on my 522.

It's enabled when the 522 detects a filesystem problem. It will then plan on 'fixing' the problem 7 days after the problem is detected (by reformatting the filesystem). The button is enabled so you can preemptively tell it to go ahead before the 7 days are up.

got it

2.06GAGD-N here as of today. I assume the upgrade happened this morning.
Ive been watching a combo of live and dvr'd shows and I have to say, before I knew there was an upgrade, I was thinking 'hmmm, its playing a bit more stable than usual today.'
The other issue Ive had in the past few weeks, is phantom recordings or weirdness in the timer scheduling. Friday nights I tend to have it record about 4 different shows, and there was not one problem with those recordings either.

TuxCoder said:
It's enabled when the 522 detects a filesystem problem. It will then plan on 'fixing' the problem 7 days after the problem is detected (by reformatting the filesystem). The button is enabled so you can preemptively tell it to go ahead before the 7 days are up.

That sure is nice of them isn't it? What filesystem requires reformatting to fix an error? Certainly no filesystem that I would choose or design for a DVR!!! I wonder if that was a temporary stop-gap measure since like I said I didn't get the error this morning and the HD button is grayed out. Crossing my fingers cause there's some stuff that I don't want to lose and will really suck on VHS. I'd hate to have to invest in a standalone DVDR just because of the reformat.

In any case, while trying to get caught up so I don't at least lose anything that I haven't viewed that I wanted to at least get to, it's WAY more stable. I hear pops when going forward and back 30 secs and whatnot but only as it restarts normal play. The one problem that I noticed earlier did occur while something else was recording (possibly initiated by the firing of the timer) or perhaps it was just particularly dense cloudcover since all recorded stuff has been flawless.

OK, I take it back. Definitely *NOT* fixed yet but definitely seems to be better. Watching previously recorded stuff seems to be MUCH better, but watching live events not as good. Specifically when you are watching live and go back a couple of times, I have had this popping and beeping many times. I wanted to give E* the benefit of the doubt on this one because it really appears they tried to test this thoroughly but again their QC seems to be a bit lacking. Still, it's better. Seems like if I pause and restart it goes away for a while.

Oh, it also might require recording another event while watching live. I think when this has happened, I've been watching something on tuner 1 and recording something on tuner 2 (in DUAL mode)

Has anybody heard any rumors on when Name Based Recordings are coming to Dish. Without that I consider by 522 to basically be a glorified VCR. I haven't gotten the latest update though so once it comes I might feel a little better about the 522. Those of you who got the update is it working??

Plenty of rumors out there. No sense in repeating them.

All that really known is that they're working on it, and want to get it out the door ASAP. That of course means it'll start out as buggy as everything else E* ships.

So far so good with 2.06. After watching some 3 hours of recorded programming, and more via pausing live TV, I have yet to run into a glitch.

Got L2.06 Friday Morning.

1. Still the occasional audio dropout and pixelization. Maybe slightly better.
2. Caller ID still doesn't work, works erratically, or gives wrong information.
No better.
3. Still losing Audio/Video sync on recordings. Solved by skipping back a couple of times to re sync recording. No better.

Dish is batting 3 non fixes for 3 problems.

On the brighter side I haven't noticed anything new messed up by L2.06.

Just had a Guide of Death Experience though. That was fun. ;) ;)

cheers all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)