522 L2.06 Release Notes

ericag02

Oct 4, 2004
Texas
Seems worse to me

I got the 2.06 FW on Thursday and watched a lot of previously recorded shows and had more audio dropouts than I've ever had.

Maybe its just my 522 (my 5th one at that)

Ned Dorsey

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 30, 2004
Reno
I read this post Monday morning and went and check my receiver - still at 2.05. This morning (Tuesday) I checked again and now I have 2.06. They must be rolling it out daily, not weekly.

Wishbone

SatelliteGuys Guru
May 27, 2004
Newberg, OR
Mark_AR said:
Just checked. I've got L206GAGD-N already.
Mine says L206GALD-N. Anyone know the difference between GAGD and GALD? Meanwhile, my playback (and skip back) seems to be nice and smooth when last night, on L2.05, playback was almost unwatchable.

BFG

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 2, 2004
Orlando
The last four letters is the group your 522 belongs to. It's all the same software.

chaddux

Insert Clever Phrase Here
Supporting Founder
Sep 19, 2004
DMA 114
WOOHOO! Sometime this morning, I got 2.06. Appears to be a new addition to the Counters page. There are now 13 different stats.

markav

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 26, 2004
I've only been using 2.06 for a few hours now but so far I'm pretty encouraged. Overall, skips/glitch/synch issues have been MUCH better so far. I've noticed no problems at all while watching a recorded show while recording another show, and fairly minimal problems watching a recorded show while recording two other shows. It's early yet, but if it holds up like this I'd say it looks like a pretty significant step in the right direction.

chaddux

Insert Clever Phrase Here
Supporting Founder
Sep 19, 2004
DMA 114
Scott Greczkowski said:
Its only being rolled out to 50 thousand 522's today, more next week, more the week after that... Etc..

rhollinger said:
unless something has changed recently, Dish only updates a group of receivers at a time. This is the first time that I've received the update so quickly so they may randomly select the groups. In the past I've always had to wait a week or two.

I suspect that because of all of the problems that they've had with the 522s they're afraid to release the software too quickly in case there's some serious problems that made it past the QC team.

mike123abc said:
The upgrades are spooled pretty much from every satellite.

But, Dish does not always send the update to every receiver. They tend to roll them out starting with a few receivers then expanding the release as it goes along and no problems seem to develop. If Dish has not released the software to your receiver, there is no way to get it to get the upgrade. It seems that all the receivers usually get the release within about 2 weeks provided it does not cause problems.

That's probably enough reposts of your answer.

doogie

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 27, 2004
OK... got the new software... the only problem I really had before was audio drop-outs during live TV... I have the new software... and in the last 15 mins the audio dropped out twice during live TV for like 1/2 second each time... is anyone else having this? My 522 is not recording or anything... just watching live tv and the audio drops out... I was so hoping this would be fixed on this release.

explorer96l

Oct 26, 2004
522 receveres are cool or not tell me what you think

tell me what you think about the 522 recever becose im geting it soon and I want to now what people think about the 522 send me a messige!!! :cool:

doogie

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 27, 2004
Just more info.... now that I've been watching live tv for 2 hrs with the new software... I've had 8 1/2-second audio drop outs and 1 that lasted for 3 seconds... much worse than what I have before!

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Doogie, unplug your unit for about 30 seconds then plug it back in again and all should be fine. (Some units need a cold restart to function correctly) :D

markav

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 26, 2004
I just had my first new problem under 2.06.

I had timers set to record two programs from 8:00 to 9:00, and to then record two other programs from 9:00 to 10:00. Instead of switching to the new programs at 9:00, it acted like the first pair of programs were two hours long and continued recording on the original channels.

I did a power button reset hoping a quick reboot would start the second pair of programs recording without losing too much. No dice. When it came back up, I had lost my locals and most of the other channels in my package as well. Check switch also didn't help.

Ended up switching the power off for a few minutes. When it came back up, I had all my channels back and the programs that were supposed to be recording started recording.

ericag02

Oct 4, 2004
Texas
I just had my first new problem under 2.06.

I had timers set to record two programs from 8:00 to 9:00, and to then record two other programs from 9:00 to 10:00. Instead of switching to the new programs at 9:00, it acted like the first pair of programs were two hours long and continued recording on the original channels.

I did a power button reset hoping a quick reboot would start the second pair of programs recording without losing too much. No dice. When it came back up, I had lost my locals and most of the other channels in my package as well. Check switch also didn't help.

Ended up switching the power off for a few minutes. When it came back up, I had all my channels back and the programs that were supposed to be recording started recording.

That EXACT same thing happened to me last night at 8:45PM or so. I encountered the famed Guide of Death and then when it restarted, I lost all of my locals and all but CNN, 101, 500, and a few other channels. I let it sit for 10 minutes, no dice. I did 2 more front panel reboots and that finally solved the problem. Of course I was recording a program at the time and now have missed that show, but what can you really do?

So far I'm not impressed with the new firmware. The 2.05 version was a lot more stable for me (at least).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)