522 L2.06 Release Notes

Those things were actually a problem with Dish's transmission of the guides last night. I was on the phone with them for a half hour. The first thing I asked was if there was a general problem with the guide transmission. He said no. Then we went through various procedures. Eventually we rebooted the 522 for a third time, and everything was working fine.

Then he told me there was a problem with the guide transmission.

But it was not a problem with your 522.

New Software woes

I received the L206 yesterday with high hopes. Before the update, my main problems were audio dropouts especially on recorded events. Now with the update, my problems are magnified X3!! I can't get into 10 minutes of a recoreded event without the audio/visual sync not getting along. Is there any hope for 522 owners?? :no

I haven't tried a hard or soft reboot yet, but the audio dropouts are even worse than before! DAMMIT!
*crosses fingers* Hopefully all I need is a reboot.

Same thing here, even with 206 it's still jumpier than a chicken with it's head cut off. I love the 522 with the exception of this problem, however it is so bad most of the time that it's simply unwatchable for the most part unless it's live TV. Really, it's a shame that they aren't addressing this.

I got the 2.06 update yesterday and didn't have any audio problems while watching live TV and a recorded program last night. Hope this means the new software actually fixed something.

On the down side I did have a new problem. While I was watching the election showcase (six channels at once) two timers that my wife set for 7:00 PM didn't start. Of course she started blaming it on me for watching the showcase so I exited it and went to live TV. I verified that both timers were set correctly and that neither show was recording. I then pressed the record button on the remote and both tuners started recording what they should have started 15 minutes earlier.

I can understand that maybe watching the election showcase could mess up the timer on the tuner I was using at the time but why would it effect the other tuner? If the wife keeps missing her recordings I might have to start asking Dish to reimburse me for marriage counseling. :)

2.06 is looking pretty good for me.. I have 80+ hours of programming that was on the hard drive waiting to be offloaded to DVD. I usually use TV2 for this, but I couldn't do this when watching TV1 (which is all the time) due to the A/V dropouts, so offloading my DVR has been going slow... I'm recording more shows than I'm offloading..

With 2.06, I've relieved 6 hours off the DVR, while watching TV1, played some of them back and the recordings are perfect. No dropouts whatsoever.

maximum said:
On the down side I did have a new problem. While I was watching the election showcase (six channels at once) two timers that my wife set for 7:00 PM didn't start.

I too had a missed timer experience tonight (the first set of timers to hit after 2.06:

I had two programs set to record: one at 7:00 on tuner 1 and one at 8:00 at tuner 2 with default overlaps. These have recorded fine for me for weeks now. I came home tonight and found neither was in the DVR menu (the Unit was powered off the entire evening). I did some digging in the DVR history and found something odd: The DVR main history did not show the shows, but when I went into timers from the DVR menu, the Timers History showed that both shows had Timer events kick off for recording start and finish for today's date.

Has anybody else had this? I don't know if I should delete all my timers and put them in again just to be sure they will record.

Wishbone said:
2.06 is looking pretty good for me.. I have 80+ hours of programming that was on the hard drive waiting to be offloaded to DVD. I usually use TV2 for this, but I couldn't do this when watching TV1 (which is all the time) due to the A/V dropouts, so offloading my DVR has been going slow... I'm recording more shows than I'm offloading..

With 2.06, I've relieved 6 hours off the DVR, while watching TV1, played some of them back and the recordings are perfect. No dropouts whatsoever.
.....and then a timer kicked in... Then the pops, squeaks, and pauses came back multiplied. :mad:

Well.. it's a step in the right direction.

The problem of audio/visual synchronization appears to have been fixed . . at least for me . . Bravo, Dish Network!

By the way, is there a way to turn off an active dvr recording on TV2 without using the TV2 remote??? I can't seem to stop the recording using the TV1 remote.

Checkout this software glitch...

I had the King of Queens set to record from 9-9:30PM on CBS and Mythbusters from 9-10PM on Discovery. But I wanted to watch King of Queens live... so right after it started recording I went in to the DVR and started watching --- I was only seconds behind LIVE TV.

When the show was over at 9:30PM I tried to delete the King of Queens... but there was a 3 min pad built into the recording time - so it kept telling me that it could not delete the show... so I waited until it was done recording... I was sitting there waiting for the record light to go off so I could pounce on it.

As soon as the red record light went off I told it to delete the show - and it kind of "locked up"... I don't really know what it was doing - but the other show that I was recording appeared in the upper right hand corner of the TV and the rest of the screen was black and it did not respond to any remote control commands!

After about 30 seconds, the window popped up that says it lost the signal and its acquiring the sat signal... ya know... 1 of 5, 2 of 5....

It would get to 4 of 5 and the screen would flash... then it would go back to 1 of 5 again... AND ALL THE WHILE MY MYTHBUSTERS WAS BEING SHOWN IN THE UPPER RIGHT HAND CORNER! Which means it really did not lose the signal...

I had to pull the plug - and with the reboot everything worked fine...

Since 2.06, I've now had three timer/buffer anomolies. I never had thos before. I have not watched enough recorded shows to know if the pop/chirp/sync issues are fixed for me.

(1) Weekly time had been set for months and working flawlessly. After 2.06, it kicked in at 8:18 instead of the normal 8:00, thus only recording the last half of a 30 minute show. This was on Tuesday, and I read previously that there were guide problems sometime earlier this week. Maybe that was the root cause, many not.

(2) Watching same channel for a couple of hours from the buffer, maybe half an hour behind live. Hit "View TV" (can't remember why I did this, but I did). My buffer which had been full to it's two hour mark was suddenly only about 4 minutes long. Like what normally would happen if you changed channels ... only I didn't. That little gray buffer bar still showed it full to it's two hour mark, but you couldn't rewind back that far anymore.

(3) Watching live TV on same channel for a little under an hour. Tried to go back to start of the current one hour show, which should have been in the buffer since it was only 50 minutes or so in the past and the TV had not changed channels. Only a 30 minute buffer was available for rewind. This is similar to (2) above, but different in that the gray bar only showed 30 minutes available even though the DVR hadn't had it's channel changed for the duration.

My first 2.06 problem. Watching a recording last night when a background timer started up. I had three 2-second pauses in the program I was watching.

well, never had a serious freeze up problem before this.

But after just turning on Conan obrien that was recorded last night, i had a constant freeze problem every 6 seconds. on the mark.

Doesnt seem like this helped $HIT at all!

Somethin's amiss with timer recordings...

Since getting the 2.06 upgrade, I've had several occurences of shows being recorded for more, or less, time than they actually were. For example, we settled in to watch NYPD Blue only to find that it was now a 38 minute program. Veronica Mars clocked in at 1 hour and 20 minutes (and not the missing 20 min. from NYPD). Scrubs was a 52 minute show this week according to what was recorded. Sadly, these show's times were not part of a scheduling trick by the networks, but a recording "trick" of v2.06.

Additionally, I can report that my audio pops and Guide of Death issues are still present, as is the non-functioning Caller ID.

Let's hope that NBR isn't planned for the 3.0 release, 'cuz they're running out of point release updates before the 3.0 number!

doogie said:
Checkout this software glitch...

I had the King of Queens set to record from 9-9:30PM on CBS and Mythbusters from 9-10PM on Discovery. But I wanted to watch King of Queens live... so right after it started recording I went in to the DVR and started watching --- I was only seconds behind LIVE TV.

When the show was over at 9:30PM I tried to delete the King of Queens... but there was a 3 min pad built into the recording time - so it kept telling me that it could not delete the show... so I waited until it was done recording... I was sitting there waiting for the record light to go off so I could pounce on it.

As soon as the red record light went off I told it to delete the show - and it kind of "locked up"... I don't really know what it was doing - but the other show that I was recording appeared in the upper right hand corner of the TV and the rest of the screen was black and it did not respond to any remote control commands!

After about 30 seconds, the window popped up that says it lost the signal and its acquiring the sat signal... ya know... 1 of 5, 2 of 5....

It would get to 4 of 5 and the screen would flash... then it would go back to 1 of 5 again... AND ALL THE WHILE MY MYTHBUSTERS WAS BEING SHOWN IN THE UPPER RIGHT HAND CORNER! Which means it really did not lose the signal...

I had to pull the plug - and with the reboot everything worked fine...
I've had a similar problem before 2.06. The only difference is that I didn't see the recorded show in the upper right hand corner. This happened to me at least 3 times. If l waited until the recording finished (an another recording didn't start) it would correct itself without rebooting.

After rebooting and STILL getting the pops/AV issues/audio dropouts worse than before, I called Dish.
The tech acknowledged the fact that I knew more about the box than he did, but he told me that people NEED to call in so when they get an unusual number of 'unknown issues,' they can give the problems to the engineers.

So please, everyone - call (800) 333-DISH and tell them what's wrong! Tell them you've already done the reboot and check switch, and just let them know you want to register a complaint!
Hopefully, if enough people call in, they'll ACTUALLY fix it!...?

L2.06 has fixed previous problems for me

After using my 522 for a few hours over the last few days, I've noticed an improvement in the new software (I hope I didn't just jinx myself). Haven't noticed any freezing or pixelation in recorded shows or buffered live TV. This morning I gave the DVR a real workout by recording one show, and watching a second show being recorded from the beginning - "Start Over" from the DVR menu. I had no problems whatsoever. The new software also appears to solve a previous problem I had http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=30122

The only problem I still notice is that Caller ID works intermittently. It showed all of my calls on Tuesday and today so far, but completely missed about a dozen calls I received on Wednesday and Thursday. Weird.

I want my NBR!

Maybe it's time to finally call Charlie Chat. I see it's coming back on in November http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customerCare/charlie_chat/index.shtml

EDIT: I forgot to mention - I am running in Single Mode. Maybe others that are still having problems are in Dual Mode?

Don't trust the Caller ID. You must have just been lucky if it's noticed all your calls up until just now. For me, it's been intermittent ever since they moved to version 2 with single mode.