522 & Local Channels

andrewdale

Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
Memphis, TN
Hey everyone,

I know this is probably a stupid question, but being a complete newb here, I hope you can bare with me.

We just got a plan with Dish Network but were forced to go with SD because we have a building blocking line-of-sight to the Eastern Arc sat (I'm in Memphis, TN). We have local channels and we're going through a DVR522. We're pointing at 119 and 110 for receiption.

My question is, am I not able to receive the HD versions of my local channels through this receiver? I have an HDTV, so watching my local channels in "non-HD" takes the 4:3 ratio and stretches it out to 16:9 -- and it's a pain.

Are there any solutions? Will we just have to deal with it? Our OTA reception is pretty bad itself due to being downtown, that's why we got the satellite in the first place!

Please help, if possible. Would a new receiver give me HD locals? Or would we have to repoint/add a dish?

Thanks!
Andrew

No. You can't receive HD locals or any HD programming with the 522. The 522 is a standard definition receiver only. Other than OTA, I don't know of any other solutions. I hoped that answered your question.

Michael

Well, then could I ask them upgrade the receiver? If so, what model would I need to get? Really want to keep with the Dual DVR.

Will my HD locals be transmitted from those same satellites? (100 & 119)

Well, I'm not experienced with HD receivers since I also have a 522.

1. Yes, you can upgrade your receiver but it may require a commitment of some sort.
I don't know all the details of how to upgrade receivers though DISH as far as promotions
go and so forth.

2. If you want HD DVR then you would likely want a 722. This is an award winning dual tuner DVR that does 2 TVs. TV 1 will be high definition and TV 2 will be scaled down to Standard Definition.

3. No. Memphis HD locals are on a third satellite. I think they are on 61.5 or 129 but Im not positive. You will need to upgrade your dish either way if you go HD because most of the national HD programming is on other satellites such as 72.7, 77, 129. Call DISH and they will have a dish solution for you.

Will your HOA allow an OTA antenna? If your tv has a digital tuner, the antenna may be all you would need.

Garys,

Will his HOA allow an OTA antenna? Its not up to a HOA to determine if anybody can have or can not have a OTA antenna.

Federal statues do NOT allow any local authority, HOA to bar installation of a OTA Antenna, except for in a Historic district and even there they can NOT be totally prohibited, but can be required to be mounted in a specific location.

JOhn

Yeah, there's no problem with putting up an OTA antenna, it's just that reception is sketchy here.

Also, it kind of ruins the purpose of being able to record some shows on NBC, CBS and FOX with the 522's DVR.

I'm just wondering if the OP can check the digital signal. My analog was pretty bad as well due to the distance to the towers, but I have had no problems with the digital one. It may be something the OP should check on.

I am referring to the digital signal (the only signal you can get here, now). We live right by the trolley line downtown and every time one goes by, it interferes and causes audio/video freeze. Quite annoying.

Memphis Big 4 stations are in HD on 129 so if you upgrade to a receiver/dish setup then you'd get the locals in HD

So, what would we need to upgrade too?

Dish 1000.2 and another receiver? Which one?

any of the ViP receivers. The dual-tuners DVRs are the ViP622, ViP722, ViP722k and (not yet available) ViP922.