522 Question (replacing 322)

ghoticov

Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
I now have a 322 (for two tvs). I was told by a CSR at Dish that I could not buy a 522 from them because they are for DHP (or whatever it's called) customers only. They did say, however, I could go buy a 522 and replace the 322 myself if I wanted.

Does this sound right to anyone?

I know where I can find a 522 for sale but I want to make sure it will work before I go buy it. The last thing I want to do is spend hundreds of dollars and then not even be able to use it for some reason. It is as simple as unplugging the 322 and putting the 522 in it's place (and then calling Dish, I assume, to get it activated)?

Thank you for your help!

Marc

Yes, the 522 works on the same principle as the 322, with DVR functionality. You'd be able to swap the two out with minimal effort. Occasionally we'll install a 322 in place of a 522 if we're out of stock, and make a second trip when the truck comes in to swap it out.

The problem comes in with whether it's actually 'legal' for you to buy one. Dish has not been selliong them - just leasing them. I've seen some chatter elsewhere that indicates Dish will no longer activate an x22 receiver that's not part of a DHP.

SimpleSimon said:
The problem comes in with whether it's actually 'legal' for you to buy one. Dish has not been selliong them - just leasing them. I've seen some chatter elsewhere that indicates Dish will no longer activate an x22 receiver that's not part of a DHP.

uh oh....that's not good.

Anyone else know anything about this?

That's what I am afraid of.....buying a 522 and then calling Dish to activate the PVR functionality and them tell me they won't do it.

Marc

I have been told by DISH that if you are a non-dhp(dha) account with either a 322 or 522 already activated on your account they will go ahead and make the exception for you since they already put one on your account the first time by mistake. It is the people that are just now buying them that don't already have one on their account that are having most of the problems adding them to their account. So if you have a 322 already they will most likely be willing to make the exception for you. More then likely you will have to have your call sent to the executive offices though. Be patient, but stick to you guns.

I don't see why they would even have a problem with it. It's their retailer (which they can track) or the DHA customer who let the rcvr go. Punish the retailer or the customer, not the new impressionable customer who wants their services.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts