522 Receiver and Separator

kozmocat

Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
I previously had DirecTV with single tuner receivers. I just switched to Dish Network and my main receiver is a 522 (I plan to add others later.) Before I ordered, I called Dish representatives on a couple of occasions to ask questions about how the system would be wired. I did not want any new holes in the wall or cable run along the baseboard. The representative assured me that a dual tuner receiver installation was possible with a single cable, when you use a device that looks like a spiltter but does something different. This would be included in the free installation.

When the installers came they told us that it was physically impossible to hook up a dual tuner receiver without 2 cables. As a temporary measure, we used a connection from another (existing) outlet for the second tuner, running the cable across the living room floor.

Later that evening I found information about the DP Plus separator which sounds exactly like the device the rep described to me. I called Dish but they won't change the install to use the separator since "they don't have that equipment, it's only available at retail". I spoke to a manager and he told me that I can buy the separator myself and install it, and it is compatible with my existing equipment.

I went online to order the separator and saw a note that the DP44 switch is required for the separator to work. I have found conflicting information on other sites as well. What do I need to hook my single Dish 500 with DP Twin LNBF to my 522 receiver? Do I need the $200 DP44 or can I use the less expensive DP34?

Thanks in advance for your help!

OK, I read this and I'm confused. What would be needed to get a 522 to work properly through one drop? I already have a jack from my existing DirecTV installation in the room the 522 would go, and really don't feel like having the installer run a coax from another room.

Does Dish not provide the equipment required for this? If they don't, what do I need to buy, and about how much would it come out to?

A DPP Separator is needed (less than $20, IIRC) along with something to drive it, which is either a DPP44 ($200) or a DPP Twin LNBF is needed. I've not seen any DPP Twins out in the field yet.

E* does NOT provide this gear as part of a standard installation.

Wait. . . what?

Hello, all! I've been a lurker in this great forum for several months, but now I really need help.

I got a new 522 for Christmas (thanks, Mom!) and two different Dish CSRs have assured me they'll activate it--once I have the proper equipment. I have a DishPro 500 Twin LNB, so my plan is to buy a SW-34 switch to hook up the dual tuner.

My question is: Where do I put the switch? The connection cables from the sat are attached to the house outside, with the two cables for my two existing receivers running through the attic. Specs for the SW34 say indoor/outdoor but best installed close to the receiver. What does that mean? Can I attach the thing to the cable coming out of the wall into the room and then run two cables from it to the 522 (like a splitter setup)? Or do I have to put it outside where the sat hookups are?

Thanks so much! You guys rule.

The DP34 (there is no SW34) can be placed at an interior distribution point, perhaps in the attic. If all 3 receivers are going to be in the same room put it there but I would think an attic placement would give you more flexibility to move a receiver to a different room. 2 lines from the dish to the switch, then 4 to your 3 receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)