522: Recorded Events Being Named Incorrectly?

Wishbone

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 27, 2004
Newberg, OR
I'm having a problem that just started last week. I will record an episode of '24' and it will show up as "Nanny 911", which happened to be the program that was on just previously. Or "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" when I was recording "Without A Trace". It is intermittent, shows up on one or two programs a day. The Schedule shows the correct name, but the DVR list is incorrect. Anyone else seeing this issue? I remember this being reported a long time ago. I had never seen it personally, and I thought that it had been fixed in a previous release.

kbohip said:
My 522 does this with every recording. I have to switch back to the screen showing all of the recordings to see the right program info.

kbohip, you are complaining about something different than the original poster. You are talking about the banner or info window on a recording giving you wrong show info. He's talking about the shows IN HIS DVR LIST having the wrong name (something you say you're not having a problem with). And by the way, we ALL have the problem you describe kbohip, what you describe is a common bug on the 522.

Wishbone what you describe was a very common problem sometime ago but I have not seen it in quite a long time, and I do a LOT LOT LOT of recording and watching with my 522.

The only thing that seems possible is (and this goes to something that goaliebob99 said, SORT OF) is that you are setting up MANUAL TIMERS with at least a 1 minute start buffer.

You see, if you set up timers the standard name based way, like you find a show in the future in the guide or from a search and select on it and set up a single or recurring timer or Dish Pass, you could set as early a start buffer as you want and you won't have naming problems.

You could add a SIXTY MINUTE early start buffer using the above method and the show you selected on will still be named correct in the recording list.

BUT, BUT, BUT, if you set up a manual timer with even a ONE MINUTE early start buffer, you will have a recording with the name of the last show that was on like what you describe. I can't say for sure but maybe this is your problem. Don't do start buffer on the manual timers.

No, Beer... I have several timers (Life on a Stick, Bernie Mac on FOX and several Sunday night Adult Swim shows) that are NOT manual timers, yet seem to have the wrong name every week. Life on a Stick consistantly (well, for the last 3 weeks!) has come up as American Idol, which is the show before it. I'm not stupid about this stuff - I KNOW they are normal weekly timers.

I don't know the reason behind it, but it's not that big-a-deal. I know what's what, and I watch the shows. It happens, but I'm not complaining.

Yeah Bizz I know you know your stuff, I was just throwing out there as a possibility. I used to have the problem you and Wishbone describe but I think I have not seen it for quite a long time (maybe even since BEFORE NBR/Dish Pass).

I though it had actually been fixed with software updates, but it just goes to show some are lucky with the 522, some not so lucky. And the couple times I set up a manual timer with a 1 minute early buffer, it was named wrong every time. Like for example, if we had an auto-tune for a show on one tuner, but the person on the other tuner wanted to record the same show, it won't let you create timers for the same show on different tuners from the guide/search. So I set up manual timer to record the show and like I said, named wrong every time.

I had one event that had an incorrect title. Its weird because it came on at the same time that the event usually comes on as if it was a manual timer (but it was a name based timer) but a different show came on and it displayed that show's timer. It only done it once and I am not sure if it was due to the channel showing something else at that time for one night or if it got thrown off or something.

I was just flipping through my DVR List and my schedule. It seems that all the shows recorded on tuner #1 seems to be named incorrectly for me. These are all recorded using NBR (new & all). I never had a manual timer (selected from guide) record under the wrong name. I haven't used Dish Pass yet.

I have a PPV movie that I taped about six months ago. After one of the recent software upgrades, I noticed that it is showing up in the DVR list as "Locked Event." However, if I view the same list on TV2, it shows up with the correct name. Bizzaro.

An interesting quirk on the start early/wrong name thing: If you watch the show for one minute then check the name, it will be the right one. At least that's how my 501 worked. Try it sometime and see if that works.

Pablo_New said:
I have a PPV movie that I taped about six months ago. After one of the recent software upgrades, I noticed that it is showing up in the DVR list as "Locked Event." However, if I view the same list on TV2, it shows up with the correct name. Bizzaro.

Pablo, this is probably because in your locks section (Menu, 5) you either have "Lock PPV" selected or you have that PPV channel locked in your "Channel Lock" section.

TV1 and TV2 handle locks independently, so that's why one tuner shows "locked" and the other doesn't. You can either "Unlock PPV," unlock that channel if it's locked, or "Unlock System" to fix that problem for you.

And yeah, DarrellP, you got it exactly right. No matter how long the recording ends up being because of buffers, the recording is supposed to keep track internally of where the program actually started and ended. The same thing happens at the end with the 3 minute buffer, it will give you the name/info of the next program that's on.