522 TV1 UHF Pro control

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mrschwarz

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 17, 2004
I have searched the forum, but I cannot find a topic that addresses my two issues. I have a 522 and need to control TV1 with both RF and IR. I have enabled UHF Pro on TV1 in the setup menu, but when I look at the system info screen, it shows TV1 with only IR enabled. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I have extra UHF remotes, but I don't have the TV1 UHF key that appears to be required. Is there a place where I can get the key without having to buy an entire RF remote? Is there something I can do to avoid having to get a key?

Thanks in advance for your response.

If you want it to look nice with a key, and in particular if you want the remote to emit UHF and IR simultaneously, then you are going to have to spring for a universal UHF/Pro 6.3. The 6.0s that come with the 522 have only a 2 position switch under the key: it's in IR-only mode, or UHF-only mode.

I'm not positive, but I think your 522 shipped like my 625, with both remotes on the same channel 1. To get TV1 switched into UHF mode and use two 6.0 remotes, you're going to have to change the channel either on TV1 or TV2 before turning on UHF on TV1. (Probably there is a way to do this simultaneously, and maybe I'm confused, but I don't think my 625 would go into UHF mode without first changing the channel.)

But why do you want both IR and UHF? You can just use two 6.0 remotes as I do. I carved on my key (after putting the remote in UHF mode), and it works fine and dandy. Edit: I called customer service about this issue late last year, and they had no clue what was going on. I had 2 spare 6.0 remotes, but couldn't get TV1 out of IR mode. So I got a free remote 6.3 out of them. ;) Don't know if that free promotion is still good...

I have TV1 hooked up to a Slingbox. When I am home I watch it in the other room. The Slingbox requires IR and I need RF from the other room. I had already changed TV2 to RF channel 6 and TV1 is channel 1.

I have a 722 so I have a 6.3 remote, too. I haven't tried that one on the 522, yet. I'll give it a try in the morning.

I am still stuck trying to get TV1 to recognize both IR and RF.

Ah, OK. What you're doing is supposed to work!

Let's see if I can remember how this goes from my admittedly quirky memory. Use your original IR remote, still set to channel 1, to switch the receiver TV1 to (IR + UHF). Then you're supposed to navigate (still via your IR remote) to the system setup screen and hit the record button on your UHF 6.0 remote while it's already set on UHF channel 1. Remember that's done with the key showing "2", because the key doesn't exist to show a "1" on these remotes when they're emitting UHF. That should finally set your 522's TV1 into IR + UHF mode. Your 6.0 remote will then control TV1 via UHF, but it will still respond to IR for Slingbox control.

I think, but I'm not sure, that this is easier to set up using a 6.3 universal remote because it may simultaneously emit IR and UHF signals. The 6.0 remotes are either/or.

Ah, OK. What you're doing is supposed to work!

Let's see if I can remember how this goes from my admittedly quirky memory. Use your original IR remote, still set to channel 1, to switch the receiver TV1 to (IR + UHF). Then you're supposed to navigate (still via your IR remote) to the system setup screen and hit the record button on your UHF 6.0 remote while it's already set on UHF channel 1. Remember that's done with the key showing "2", because the key doesn't exist to show a "1" on these remotes when they're emitting UHF. That should finally set your 522's TV1 into IR + UHF mode. Your 6.0 remote will then control TV1 via UHF, but it will still respond to IR for Slingbox control.

I think, but I'm not sure, that this is easier to set up using a 6.3 universal remote because it may simultaneously emit IR and UHF signals. The 6.0 remotes are either/or.

I did all that. The TV1 UHF shows enabled, but on the system info screen, it only shows IR. I am headed out of town this week, so the IR will suffice. I'll take it up with Dish when I return. Thanks for the response.

Hi. I found an old thread of your's. I have a Dish 522, trying to get it to work UHF on both tv1 and tv2. saw that you had a similar issue. Were you ever able to get it resolved? Literally just spent 2.5 hours on the phone with Dish and got nowhere.

I have my receiver in the basement, and the TV's are in the Kitchen and Living Room. I have it currently with a IR/UHF converter for TV1, but that remote is dying, and i ordered a new one, but it doesn't seem to work wiht the converter. Thus, trying to get it to work with the receiver itself using UHF on both of them.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

My wasted time with Dish was more productive; I got a free UHF Pro 6.3 remote out of them. ;) Before it arrived, I came here and figured out how to do it with two 6.0 remotes. I think it was Pepper's post in a locked thread somewhere that gave me my "Aha!" moment. Neither the Dish TSR nor my reading the manual overcame the conceptual difficulty I was having, which is that the 625 (and I believe the 522) come with TV1's IR remote and TV2's UHF remote set to the same address 1. The receiver knows which remote is being used only because TV1 is IR, and TV2 is UHF. You have to get one or the other off address 1 before you can enable TV1 to listen for UHF+IR.

So, which UHF remote do you have for controlling TV1?

everybody always forgets the same thing. use your original IR remote to go into system info (menu,6,1,3). use the arrows to go up and highlight TV1. use your new TV1 UHF remote to lock in the code for TV1. if you try this without highlighting TV1 first it will just change TV2 every time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)