522 TV2 problem help!

Twistedtheory

Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
I have been searching the net and these forums for an answer regarding my problems, but I haven't found it yet. My problem is this: a few weeks back I lost signal on tv2 on my 522 dual dvr receiver. After it lost signal the first thing that I done was checked connections and made sure that everything was secure. After doing that I did a hard reset on the 522 and a manual reset both. At this point I still did not have a signal on tv2. After that I done a reset on my switch which is a dp34 if that helps. At this point I performed a checkswitch. This where it gets weird, sometimes it says that some of my sats on tv2 are disconnected, yet sometimes it says everything is okay. So the thing that came to mind was that the coax might have a small short in it. So I pulled the receiver out and put my tv on signal strength to watch and see, I can put the tv2 coax in the tv1 input and I get 120+ signal, but when I put it in tv2 I get nothing. I can put the tv1 coax in tv2's input also and I get nothing. The thing that's weird is that sometimes I get a signal out of tv2 but it is significantly lower than tv1's. I am to the point where I need help, I am all out of ideas.

Oh one more thing, I tested the switch by putting the coax to my bedroom reciever in all of the outputs and I got great signal out of it. I am puzzled.

I think Widescreen is right. Sounds like a flakey tuner to me. I had two 501's and a 721 have a tuner failure with them in the past.

My 522 did the same thing on tuner 2 as well. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it would have no signal at all. Tuner 1 was fin all the time though. Called dish and they credited me the downtime of not having programming too, signed up for the Home protection plan for that time, cost me like 35 bucks or something they replaced the reciever all together, lost all my recordings so if there is anything you need or want make sure to copy it before giving it up!! :)

You can power down the 522, swap the cables and see if the problem migrates to TV1. If not, it is likely the tuner and will need RMA'd.

If it moves to TV1, then it is probably in the switch.

My 2nd 522 had a bad TV1 Tuner.

OkieTech said:
Use a voltometer to check for power output on the sat2 input of the reciever. Could also be your 34 switch acting up.

use the poor man's volt meter! Hook up a short piece of coax and touch the other conector to your tounge. If you get buzzed, you know it works. :D DO NOT DO that if you have an amp! It will put you on your ass! :eek:

If I remember right, it supposed to put out 16V, isn't it? I don't feel like unhooking miine to see what it is.

The tongue method would work, but what if there was an open chassis loop to the line side... That could tingle a whole lot...

:yikes Also not advisable if you have a pacemaker... :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts