522 UHF remote problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Deranged

Original poster
Apr 4, 2005
Hi,

I have just installed a Dish 522 Reciever. It's only been installed for less than a week, And it repeatedly has a problem with the UHF remotes.

The unit stops responding to the UHF Pro remotes after a few hours / overnight. If you unplug the unit, and then plug it back in the remotes work again. A Reset does not correct the problem, only unplugging it.
The IR for the remotes has no problem.

I have called DISH twice and they have been no help, so before I forced to have them replace it. I thought I would ask if anyone had any ideas about this problem.

I have tried 3 UHF Pro remotes and yes the remotes have new batteries,
And I have tried the remotes on another unit without a problem.

Thanks for any help
StevenE

StevenE, do you know how to change the address of UHF pro remote control? Maybe try a different address number and see if it helps. The instructions are in the manual (page 35). Try that and see if it helps.

Also, sometimes you have to play with the antenna on back of the receiver. Try straight up, then on angle, then on angle the other way, etc.

How far is receiver from where TV2 is? Very far distance?

Be SURE to check the antenna on the base unit is screwed into the right hole!

My father had huge troubles for a full week until we found the INSTALLERS :mad: screwed the antenna into another coax in or out hole that it fit in... now it's perfect!

I am having the same problems...it is very sporadic. I put an extra piece of coax to get the antenna out of the entertainment center but it still doesn't work a lot of the time.

I have changed the address of the remote and that doesn't seem to work either.

The first remote I got stopped working all together and they sent me a new one..at least this one works some of the time.

I have thought about calling Dish again, but haven't yet.

I have never tried to unplug the unit....how long does that usually fix the problem?

Good Luck

There are a couple ways to help the UHF remote work if you're far off.

You can use power passing two-splitters like diplexers and move the antenna to the room where the backfed TV is.

You can replace the little antenna with a set top UHF antenna. The bigger array works much better.

If the problem is actually with the unit itself call E* and tell them your box stopped working, refuse to troubleshoot, and get a free trouble call. The service tech will swap that box out for nothing.

Well I have positively narrowed it down to the 522 reciever.

I have set the 522 to 10 out of the 16 available addresses for the UHF Pro Remotes. Everytime the remote could not control the 522, I changed the code and it worked on another unit fine. Changed the code back and it could not control the 522.

I don't think its a range problem I can control my 721 from the entire house.
When the 522 stops responding to the remote I cannot control the unit even if I am standing right in front of it -- 2 ft. ( except with the IR remote. )

When I unplug the unit the remote will work for 1/2 a day to ~ a full day then stop again.
I think the unit is overheating even though it is running in a well open spot.
It feels extermely warm, Much warmer than my 721.

And the answer is ... yes, my 721 is on a different UHF address.
I have checked the Antenna on the back, even took the one off the 721 and tried it, same miserable results.

I did see a mention of someone putting a fan blowing on the unit and thought it worked better, maybe I will give that a try. But that is still not a very attractive solution, and indicates a design flaw.

StevenE

If a flow of air to keep it cooler helps then obviously it is a serious design flaw. The 522 has a temperature guage on it.

We had intermittent problems with the UHF remote, so we ran a bit of RG59 from the antenna connection on the back of the 522 to a cheapo Radio Shack booster amp near the center of the house, and screwed the antenna into the input of that amp. Now, it works flawlessly from anyplace in the building.

Well,

For anyone who might be interested. I placed a small 3 inch computer fan alongside the 522 case.

And the UHF remotes have worked for 3 days now, will out a single problem.
I turned off the fan today, 3 hours later the remotes no longer worked and the unit was very warm.

UGH, High quality engineering.

I don't understand why the fan in the unit never runs.....
Ya think that would be a good idea even just for the harddrive.

StevenE

Can you view the temperature guage on the 522 ?

I assume the fan should turn on if it gets hot ?
I know I ask to much, new equipment and I expect it to work.
I mean sheesh its only over a year old.

StevenE

I too have found that when the 522 gets warm the UHF remote does not work. I have a small fan that I will hold in front of the unit for a minute or so and then I try the remote and it works.....I have to do this almost every night before I go to bed so I can watch tv before I go to sleep. What a drag.....but it DOES work.

I am not one of the Dish haters...I love the DVR concept and all of the great functions of the 522's. Sure beats the old VCR!! This is about the only problem I have had for the first 3 months I have had it.

I have a small fan blowing air across the unit for a couple of weeks now, and have had no other strange problems appear.

!yet!

StevenE

I noticed UHF remote troubles after software update L253. I also noticed the fan almost never runs now with this update. Hopefully the next software update will undo the mistake they have made with inproper temperature/cooling parameters currently in the 522. Just turn the fan on more often. It would be a shame if the harddrive failed due to overheating.

It would be nice if the user could set fan options, always on for hot conditions, quiet for bedrooms, and normal for everyday.

or at least normal or always on.

solve lots of troubles that way

I just installed my 522 yesterday and I noticed it acting a little quirky. the room tv2 is in is only 25 feet away and no walls in between and I had to stretch and point the remote at the receiver to get it to respond.

And the other thing I noticed is that occasionally the info screen will pop up for no apparent reason on tv2. For example I'll turn the volume up on the tv and the info screen pops up even though I am not touching the info button.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)