522 vs 625

Smokin Joe

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 27, 2006
Alabama
I know there was some problems with the 522's that got the software upgrade last month. I guess they have been overcome now. Is there any real physical difference in the two, other than the numbers on them? Any more or different connectors?

Smoke

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
The only difference is the size of the hard drive. The 625's hard drive is bigger and because of that it has VOD. The 522 doesn't but it's the same amount of recording hours on both.

I have the 625 and I love it. It's a very stable receiver with all the features that I need.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
The only difference is the size of the hard drive. The 625's hard drive is bigger and because of that it has VOD. The 522 doesn't but it's the same amount of recording hours on both.
It is bigger, but as you say, they both hold the same amount of recording hours. The add'l space is not accessible to the user and is reserved for VOD. I thought they were running the same s/w release but either it was never true or they forked apart.

Kaydigi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 1, 2004
It is bigger, but as you say, they both hold the same amount of recording hours. The add'l space is not accessible to the user and is reserved for VOD. I thought they were running the same s/w release but either it was never true or they forked apart.

They forked apart when the 625 received VOD. More differences is the VOD load time for both systems.

625 at one point had
  • 17 Movies Loaded with Previews
  • Entered VOD screen in about 10-11 seconds

• Holds about 6-7 VOD movies with only the first 3-4 movies having previews
  • Seems to have audio distortion issues when movies aren't finished loading on the HDD.
  • It takes almost a whopping 20 seconds to enter the VOD menu

schwing2000

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 30, 2006
Utah
You dont want a 522

I know there was some problems with the 522's that got the software upgrade last month. I guess they have been overcome now. Is there any real physical difference in the two, other than the numbers on them? Any more or different connectors?

Smoke

The problems with the 522 have NOT been resolved. I have been in a battle with dish for a few weeks now over the sound dropping and popping issues. Not only have the software issues not been resolved, they have no ETA for a resolution. I was actually encouraged to cancel my service by a dish rep. because I questioned why I was being billed for service that was un-useable. Also, I am not an expert by any means, but I recently purchased a projector and was never able to find a way to get a 16:9 picture out of my 522. Your best bet is one of the newer models or, better yet, steer clear of dish all together. It is kind of like a gym membership with them. Once you join, they could care less about keeping you happy.

Smokin Joe

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 27, 2006
Alabama
Schwing, Sorry to hear of your problems with the 522. I have had nothing like that with my 522 that I have had for two years, running one LCD tv at 16:9 and a CRT at 4:3. The only reason for my question was, am considering changing out the CRT for a 22" LCD 16:9 monitor and using it as a TV. I don't want to purchase $400 worth of monitor and have to buy $400 worth of additional equipment for the computer to make it work. I just can't see how, with the connectors that are available with a video card and the monitor to get sound and video to the monitor.

Smoke

Last edited:

neftv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 9, 2005
PA USA
I was able to get my hands on a new 625 from an EBAY store yesterday. I hope I did the right thing. IT say the unit is new and never activated. Anything, I should know when I do get this and activate it to replace my 301?

neftv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 9, 2005
PA USA
Serial number and a status of lease or not. Call Dish with R00xxxx/S00xxxx numbers handy. Now !

I called. Dish told me the Receiver is new has nothing outstanding on it. Now I have to decide if I want to make it my second or Deactivate my 301.

NABRIL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 4, 2005
625 popping noise

Schwing 2000---you mention sound dropping and popping issues, what do you mean? I have a 625 connected via optical to my HK receiver. If I fwd/rev or change channels, FREQUENTLY, I get a very loud and annoying pop, and my audio receiver shuts off. I tried another video source so as to rule out the 625, and it did it. I wrote to dish and they generically answered saying that a software upgrade may fix that; I wrote to HK and they are sending me a replacement receiver.

Also, how you i know what the latest software is supposed to be for the 625 and how do I force download it?

Thanks

The problems with the 522 have NOT been resolved. I have been in a battle with dish for a few weeks now over the sound dropping and popping issues..

schwing2000

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 30, 2006
Utah
not sure

Schwing 2000---you mention sound dropping and popping issues, what do you mean? I have a 625 connected via optical to my HK receiver. If I fwd/rev or change channels, FREQUENTLY, I get a very loud and annoying pop, and my audio receiver shuts off. I tried another video source so as to rule out the 625, and it did it. I wrote to dish and they generically answered saying that a software upgrade may fix that; I wrote to HK and they are sending me a replacement receiver.

Also, how you i know what the latest software is supposed to be for the 625 and how do I force download it?

Thanks

I am not sure how or if you can force an update. It sounds like you got bit by the bad software bug but, from what I am hearing, the symptoms are different on a 625 than they are on a 525. The funny thing is, if you call dish, they will offer to upgrade you to a new reciever if you sign a new 2 year contract. The issue has been known for about 2 months now so it makes you wonder what their motivations are:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)