522 w/ L2.36 --> Hard Drive Diagnostics ?

max2k1

Original poster
Oct 11, 2004
What's up with 2.36 ?
Ever since I got that version (I think a few days back), my 522 wants to do Hard Drive Diagnostics when I bring it online in the morning (after pressing select TWICE - like many others have complained !!)

Its a dumb screen that says something like this test will take approx 45 mins !!! (man - I would think it'll just do a fsck - but I digress) and if I cancel it, the receiver will reset.
The test usually completes in 10 or so minutes. I let it run lest it screws up something !

Its happened to me 3 or 4 times in the past week and I've never seen this before this particular update.

Is this a sign of my disk getting bad or is this some bug with 2.36 ?

Others with 2.36 -- do you see this as well ?
I hope the disk is not dying - I have some stuff that's not yet archived.

Thanks y'all.

I have gotten it twice since the update. Never had it before. Both times I was doing a search. The searches seamed like they were taking a long time then I would get the diagnostic screen.

Me too . I also have to hit the power or sellect button twice for it to turn on .

Joe Searfoss said:
I have gotten it twice since the update. Never had it before. Both times I was doing a search. The searches seamed like they were taking a long time then I would get the diagnostic screen.

This is not new to software version 2.36. The search/diagnostics bug you experienced has been around for months. Either you've been lucky all this time or just never noticed it before.

To the original poster, just don't turn off the tuners when you go to bed at night. When you wake up, hit the bottom power button on the remote for the TV and you'll be good to go. If you leave it on one of the networks before you go for bed, you can even rewind in the morning and get weather and traffic in a jiffy.

Now mine won't even respond to the remote in the morning; it won't turn on . I reboot and it goes into diagnostics . What a POS !

max2k1 said:
...Its a dumb screen that says something like this test will take approx 45 mins !!! (man - I would think it'll just do a fsck - but I digress)...

It is. The 45 minute time notice is based on the notion of the third partition (recordings, live tv buffer, approx. 80 gigs total) being completely fillled.

max2k1 said:
Its happened to me 3 or 4 times in the past week and I've never seen this before this particular update.

Is this a sign of my disk getting bad or is this some bug with 2.36 ?

It could be, but it's probably just the result of the unit's filesystem being shut down dirty after a search of death or a failed guide update. You might try running a switch test to force the unit to download the EPG manually, and see if that helps.

Just think this wonderful software is the basis for the 625 and the 942 software. What is the future of DISH Notwerk products?

GetMeABeer said:
To the original poster, just don't turn off the tuners when you go to bed at night. When you wake up, hit the bottom power button on the remote for the TV and you'll be good to go. If you leave it on one of the networks before you go for bed, you can even rewind in the morning and get weather and traffic in a jiffy.

I don't turn the receiver OFF - ever :)
I've set it up to download updates at night (I think EPG updates and possibly software) ... after that, the receiver waits on that dumb "Press Select To Continue" animation.

Since 2.36 I need to hit select TWICE to get to my channel .... yeah it remembers my last watched channel - but there is no rewind buffer :(
Typically I leave it ESPN to catch SportsCenter in the morning ..... but I've never had rewind buffer.

Is your receiver set to take updates automatically ?? and you still have a rewind buffer in the morning ?

Thanks !

Voomer asks OTA tvGuide questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)