522 wont work without the 9-Day EEPG on 110-TP29

Witschey

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
The purpose of this new thread is to discuss the fact that new Dish Network receivers (like the 522 model) are being programmed in a such a way that they MUST have access to the EEPG (9 day Program Guide) in order for them to work properly.

Previous DVR receivers (like the 508) would work properly without the EEPG (9 Day Program Guide), but the new receivers MUST have the EEPG (9 Day Program Guide) or all types of recurring events (including name based recording, all episodes, new episodes, monday to friday recording, etc.) will NOT work on a recurring basis.

What I mean with 'will not work on a recurring basis' is that that new recording events will NOT be created automatically following the recurring event instructions when a new guide is downloaded....unless you have the EEPG (9 day program guide).

The choice to put the EEPG only on transponder 29 of the 110 degree satellite AND at the same time designing receivers (like the 522 which I own) that will ONLY work properly when they have the EEPG (9 day guide) is making our equipment useless.

I have spent considerable amount of time discussing the issue with Dish Network. First with regular technical support, who didn't have a CLUE about what I was talking about. They wanted to exchange my receiver!!!! Fortunately I didn't allow them to do this, and I escalated the issue to second level support, the executive offices of Dish Network, etc...and now it is clear that this is a defect in my receiver, but it is rather a design choice that Dish Network made on the current software of the 522 receiver.

In another words, the software engineering team of Dish Network decided to make this an 'undocumented' design choice. Undocumented in the sense that NOTHING about this is mentioned in the manual of the 522 receiver. The manual does NOT mention ANYWHERE that having access to the EEPG (9 Day guide) is a requirement and/or that having access to all transponders of satellite 110 is a must.

I would like to encourage all of you who would like to see the EEPG (9 day program guide) moved to another (stronger) satellite, or be copied to another satellite (so that it is available in several satellites at once), to contact Dish Network and complain about the situation.

NOTE: The system won't allow me to write the addresses posted above in standard format, since I am new on this bulletin board. Please put the address in standard format before sending your complaint to echostar.

Personally I think (and I have sent an e-mail to Dish expressing this view) that Echostar should do AT LEAST DO ONE of the following things to help those of us who are having problems.

1) Echostar should put the 9 day EEPG ALSO on the 119 degree satellite. Echostar has installed SO MANY DVR/PVR units that numberwise there is already enough justification to put the guide also on satellite 119. You have the 44 guide on EVERY single satellite. Why not have the EEPG at least on two satellites (the 110 and the 119)?

2) Echostar should move the EEPG (9 day guide) to another transponder on satelite 110 which has more power, an is therefore MUCH more likely to be received by ALL Echostar Subscribers regardless of whether they live in the continental USA, Alaska, Hawaii, the Caribean, etc...or even people like me who have trees/buildings in the way who can receive transponders 1 to 21, but NOT transponder 29!!!! (most of the transponders from 1 to 21 are OK).

3) Echostar should update the internal software of the DVR/PVR receivers so that the receivers will fetch the 44 hour guide whenever they are unable to fetch the EEPG (9 day guide). At the present time if a DVR/PVR is connected to both satellite 110 and 119 and it is unable to fetch the EEPG program guide (for example because transponder 29 can't be received..eventhough transponders 1 to 21 CAN be received) from satellite 110 it simply wont fetch ANY guide at all. A simple 'Conditional' in the programing of the receiver would solve the problem. Something like: If EEPG can't be retrieved during the first three attempts retrieve the 44 hour program guide.

4) Echostar should update the internal software of its newest PVR/DVR receivers (like the PVR 522) so that they are able to work properly with the 44 hour program guide. A person who has the receiver connected to both satellite 110 and 119 but is unable to access the EEPG because of the weak signal of transponder 29 will NOT get ANY program guide at all as documented in point 3 above. A receiver that is connected to one or more satellites (like the 119), but NOT to the 110 satellite WILL be able to download the 44 hour program guide successfully. However, the PVR 522 receivers only work well when they have access to the EEPG (which currently is only available through a weak transponder (transponder 29) on the 110 satellite. If a person (like me) can't receive a good signal from transponder 29 (because it is too weak to pass through trees, neighbour walls, etc) the PVR 522 recurring events and name based recording WILL NOT WORK properly. The reason for this is that Echostar currently has a software on the PVR 522 receiver that REQUIRES the 9 Day EEPG program guide for the NBR (name based recording) and recurring recordings to work properly. Withou the EEPG the recurring events/nbs will ONLY work initially (when the recurring event is first setup), but will NOT setup new recording events as new programming days are downloaded by the receiver. So in essense, a person who can't receive the EEPG will be able to ONLY setup recurring events that span 44 hours; and then that person will have to reprogram the receiver's recurring events to be able to record those shows again. The receiver WILL NOT setup new recording events as days go by...unless it has the EEPG (which is ONLY available on transponder 29 of satellite 110).

Exactly why is your tp29 so low? I just checked mine and it was the same as the others, almost max'ed out.

If you are seeing an obstruction, move the dish or obstruction. If the signal is low because of your geographic location, well, you're SOL, or get a larger dish.

Dear Sir

I have never heard of this problem and I have been installing Dish, Direc, Direcway and Starband for over 6 years and have installed thousands of dishes. I would have to say you need to look at the alignment of your dish as for 110 trans 29 is one of the highest signal strengths on a couple dishes I have checked since I read this. My Dish 500 thru my 522 reads 111 signal strength and on my 510 reads 124. Its also funny how you mention the Caribbean repeatedly in your article where if you had Dish Network you would be getting your signal illegally.

In my particular case my 110 degree tp29 signal is quite low because of obstructions in the part of town where I live and very strong building regulations which prevent me from relocating the antenna to an area where I may be able to solve the issue.

However, that is only my particular case. The fact of the matter is that Dish Network has customers in many parts of the country that are affected by this same issue. I have been discussing the issue on a one to one basis with other affected users through other bulletin boards, and it seems that people in the caribean, puerto rico, hawaii and alaska are all affected. Even with a much larger (and expensive $$$) dish they can't get tp 29 on 110. They can get 119 without any problems, so why not put the EEPG on the 119 which is a satellite that EVERYBODY can access. Or in the worst of cases why not put the guide on a transporter of satellite 110 that has strong power (like 1 through 21).

Dish Network has the 44 guide on EVERY single satellite. Why do they only have the EEPG (9 day guide) on one satellite?

The Technical Product Support Department of Dish Network told me that they have about 500 thousand PVR 522 installed. I find the number to be too large compared to the total subscriber base of Dish Network; but lets assume that the number Dish provided me is correct. In that case, the population of PVR/DVR users (counting not only the 522 but all models) must be huge. Given that situation, can't Dish Network put the 9 program guide (EEPG) on all satellites and solve the issue that people in Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, Caribean and some of us in the USA are facing?

rowemance said:
Dear Sir

I have never heard of this problem and I have been installing Dish, Direc, Direcway and Starband for over 6 years and have installed thousands of dishes. I would have to say you need to look at the alignment of your dish as for 110 trans 29 is one of the highest signal strengths on a couple dishes I have checked since I read this. My Dish 500 thru my 522 reads 111 signal strength and on my 510 reads 124. Its also funny how you mention the Caribbean repeatedly in your article where if you had Dish Network you would be getting your signal illegally.

I am NOT based in the Caribbean, but I do know people living in the US Virgin Islands....as well as people living in Hawaii (I scuba dive as a pass time), where they are facing the same problem that I am having. My friends in the US Virgin Islands and Hawaii are both paying customers of Dish Network. I have had e-mail contact (though other bulletin boards) with people in Puerto Rico and Alaske who also face the same problem...eventhough the have installed a larger dish to get satellite 110. They can get transporters 1 to 21, but not 29...which is the one with the guide.

Please DO NOT try to imply that I am receiving the signal illegally. I have been a full paying customer of Dish Network since more than a year. I first had a 508 receiver and that one worked fine (it doesn't need the EEPG to work...can work fine with the 44 hour program guide). I am based in Atlanta, Georgia!

dtanderson said:
No problems with the 9 day guide on my 522....

The areas that are affected are: Hawaii, Alaska, Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico have problems. Are you in one of the affected areas?

Few people in the continental USA are affected (I am among those few).

I would like to hear from those people affected (regardless of where they are); and from those people NOT affected who have their system installed in Hawaii, Alaska, Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

Witschey said:
In my particular case my 110 degree tp29 signal is quite low because of obstructions in the part of town where I live and very strong building regulations which prevent me from relocating the antenna to an area where I may be able to solve the issue.

No town building regulations can keep you from locating your dish to a spot where it will operate properly if you own your property. The FCC overrides your local regulations so I would move your dish somewhere it works.

mudder1310 said:
No town building regulations can keep you from locating your dish to a spot where it will operate properly if you own your property. The FCC overrides your local regulations so I would move your dish somewhere it works.

Perhaps you are right on FCC overriding local regulations, but as I have mentioned above, my post is NOT only related to the issue that I am facing. It is regarding the GREATER issue about the fact that a lot of people in the service area of Dish Networks, which includes Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands are NOT able to receive satellite 110 at all; or are only able to receive SOME of the transponders of satellite 110 and that DOES NOT include transponder 29; which has the EEPG.

So rather than digging more and more into my particular case why don't we discuss the larger issue at hand; which are:

1) Why did Dish Network launch a receiver that only works with the EEPG...when previous models (508 for instance) worked with BOTH the 44 and EEPG?
2) Why isn't Dish Network documenting (on the manual of the 522 and their website for instance) that access to the EEPG guide was a requirement for the proper working of hte receiver?
3) Why does Dish Network have the EEPG guide ONLY on one satellite (110-tp29) whereas the 44 guide is on EVERY satellite?
4) Why did Echostar choose a satellite and a transponder that can't be accessed by people living in many service areas (particularly ourside of hte contigious states)...such as Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Alaska?
5) Given all of the above,why aren't they doing anything about it?

Look I understand that everybody, including Echostar, can make mistakes or forget to take certain things into consideration. But what I DO NOT understand is that Dish Network / Echostar doesn't seem to want to accept that there is something wrong and doesn't seem to have a upgrade ( either putting the EEPG on the 119 satellite or upgrading the 522 software so that it can work with the 44 hour program guide) planned to solve the issue. It is their lack of interest in this issue that is making me, and the other people affected, angry at this.

If I knew that an upgrade was planned that would address this particular issue I would be very happy and lay the issue to rest; but without knowing that they are going to solve it, and an estimated date for when that upgrade will come, I can't just put this behind.

My guess is one of the "new thread" posts was filtered out, so Witschey reposted and the second time it was different enough to not be filtered. Then a moderator approved the filtered post. But I don't care to diff the two originating posts myself to see if that might be true...

This was going to be my question to add to the 5 above:
6) Why hasn't a moderator merged these two threads? ;)

Witschey said:
Perhaps you are right on FCC overriding local regulations, but as I have mentioned above, my post is NOT only related to the issue that I am facing. It is regarding the GREATER issue about the fact that a lot of people in the service area of Dish Networks, which includes Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands are NOT able to receive satellite 110 at all; or are only able to receive SOME of the transponders of satellite 110 and that DOES NOT include transponder 29; which has the EEPG.

4) Why did Echostar choose a satellite and a transponder that can't be accessed by people living in many service areas (particularly ourside of hte contigious states)...such as Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Alaska?

Here's my question ... does transponder 29 on 110 really have black areas where people cannot receive the signal? That would seem odd to me, but I don't know enough about physics and engineering.

Furthermore, why the signal on transponder 29 ONLY would be affected by building codes is beyond me.

Could you please let us know why you believe the coverage of 29 is spotty and affected differently by local landscape than other transponders?

Roadrhino

TuxCoder said:
My guess is one of the "new thread" posts was filtered out, so Witschey reposted and the second time it was different enough to not be filtered. Then a moderator approved the filtered post. But I don't care to diff the two originating posts myself to see if that might be true...

This was going to be my question to add to the 5 above:
6) Why hasn't a moderator merged these two threads? ;)

I closed the other one

Witschey said:
1) Why did Dish Network launch a receiver that only works with the EEPG...when previous models (508 for instance) worked with BOTH the 44 and EEPG?
2) Why isn't Dish Network documenting (on the manual of the 522 and their website for instance) that access to the EEPG guide was a requirement for the proper working of hte receiver?
3) Why does Dish Network have the EEPG guide ONLY on one satellite (110-tp29) whereas the 44 guide is on EVERY satellite?
5) Given all of the above,why aren't they doing anything about it?

Look I understand that everybody, including Echostar, can make mistakes or forget to take certain things into consideration. But what I DO NOT understand is that Dish Network / Echostar doesn't seem to want to accept that there is something wrong and doesn't seem to have a upgrade ( either putting the EEPG on the 119 satellite or upgrading the 522 software so that it can work with the 44 hour program guide) planned to solve the issue. It is their lack of interest in this issue that is making me, and the other people affected, angry at this.

If I knew that an upgrade was planned that would address this particular issue I would be very happy and lay the issue to rest; but without knowing that they are going to solve it, and an estimated date for when that upgrade will come, I can't just put this behind.

Lets see...they sell the 522 to people in Alaska & Hawaii....Due to their locations, it is hard to get 110 satellite. So they have 119 only (and a larger dish)

WHY HASN'T ANYONE FROM ALASKA OR HAWAII HAD THIS ISSUE? :)

roadrhino said:
Here's my question ... does transponder 29 on 110 really have black areas where people cannot receive the signal? That would seem odd to me, but I don't know enough about physics and engineering.

Furthermore, why the signal on transponder 29 ONLY would be affected by building codes is beyond me.

Could you please let us know why you believe the coverage of 29 is spotty and affected differently by local landscape than other transponders?

Roadrhino

TP29 is the same signal for me as the others (sans the spotbeams)

I am discussing this same issue in several bullentin boards, mainly because the audiences of hte different bulletin boards are different. Not everybody forms part of all bulletin boards.

However with regards to why I started two threads with similar topics, the answer is that since I am a new user, I didn't think that everybody who reads one thread reads all other treads. So I chose two different titles to attract people who would be looking for two different topics.

Am I not allowed to do that? What approach should I take then? Any feedback would be appreciated. However in the interest of not deviating the discussion at hand in the tread, I would appreciate it if you could send the suggestions directly to me via e-mail; rather than changing the topic and discussion of this forum from being one where we discuss the problem with the new Dish Network receivers/EEPG to somethign where we discuss whether I should have started one or two threads.

Thanks for your understanding and patience while I get used to the rules of the forum.

Witschey said:
-because there are lots of customers who have International at 61.5 or 148 only or Sky Angel only on 61.5, thus requiring a EPG at that loc
-Some new Int'l are on 121 and there are people who have only Int'l
-Lots of people only see 119, so it has to be on there

so that leaves 110 & 105
-110...I don't know...people have locals only (hey, that's me)...so if I had a dish at 110 only I would need the guide

-105 I have no idea...but I'm assuming they ghetto made a Superdish (or a 30" dish) and have locals only

roadrhino said:

Roadrhino

I am not an expert on transponders and satellite engineering; but my deductive reasoning (based on the experience of Dish Network users in Alaska, Puerto Rico etc.) is that transponder 22 through 29 (NOT only 29) have a weaker signal than transponders 1 to 21. That would explain why some of us are able to receive some transponders but not others. Now as to why the signal is weaker on transponders 22 to 29, that is something which I am not sure of. It could be the amount of power given to each transponder or the shape of the coverage area...I have no clue. But the fact is that people in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Alaska and Virgin Islands all have problems receiving satellite 110 in one way or another. Some can't receive it at all. Some can only receive some transponders. Some can only receive it (partly) if they put a very large (Expensive $ and difficult to install) much larger dish.

Witschey said:
I am discussing this same issue in several bullentin boards, mainly because the audiences of hte different bulletin boards are different. Not everybody forms part of all bulletin boards.

However with regards to why I started two threads with similar topics, the answer is that since I am a new user, I didn't think that everybody who reads one thread reads all other treads. So I chose two different titles to attract people who would be looking for two different topics.

Am I not allowed to do that? What approach should I take then? Any feedback would be appreciated. However in the interest of not deviating the discussion at hand in the tread, I would appreciate it if you could send the suggestions directly to me via e-mail; rather than changing the topic and discussion of this forum from being one where we discuss the problem with the new Dish Network receivers/EEPG to somethign where we discuss whether I should have started one or two threads.

Thanks for your understanding and patience while I get used to the rules of the forum.

most of us read what topic pertain to us, some read all. Starting two threads of the same thing is hard to follow because I may answer one, while someone else is basically saying the same thing in another. Also, starting two topics on the same thing might be considered spamming, and that isn't allowed here :)

Iceberg said:
-because there are lots of customers who have International at 61.5 or 148 only or Sky Angel only on 61.5, thus requiring a EPG at that loc
-Some new Int'l are on 121 and there are people who have only Int'l
-Lots of people only see 119, so it has to be on there

so that leaves 110 & 105
-110...I don't know...people have locals only (hey, that's me)...so if I had a dish at 110 only I would need the guide

-105 I have no idea...but I'm assuming they ghetto made a Superdish (or a 30" dish) and have locals only

That would explain why the 44 guide is on every satellite, but why is the EEPG only on satellite 110? If there is people who are suffering problems of not being able to get reception of 110 at all, or only partial reception...like in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands and Alaska, then why not put the EEPG on satellite 119 which everybody can receive? If there is an issue with space...why not remove the 'how to use your remote control' type of channels from 119 and put them on 110...or something else. How big is the EEPG guide anyway compared to a normal TV channel. I can't believe it is that large (although I have to admit I have no idea)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)