The work around for the current tailgater issue.

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
We have been dealing with this issue for many weeks now, it affects all receivers designed to work with the tailgater.

During the satellite acquisition stage, the receiver will get stuck on 3 of 3 for 211 receivers or the 3rd part of the progress bar on Wally's. It is looking for 129, which of course doesn't exist anymore.

It sees "something" from the satellite that used to be "Dish 129", and tries to lock on, but it can't and it will keep trying all day.

What you have to do is stand in front of the dish, blocking the signal entirely, when it is at the 3 of 3 stage. It will take about 30 seconds for the dish to stop moving, and another 30 seconds before the screen changes. Then you move away form the dish and select "View TV", and everything will progress as it should.

This problem is not affecting every unit even if they all have current software, which makes no sense. Sometimes, just rotating the dish a good 10-20 degrees, so that it has to search from scratch will do it, but in my experience, that doesn't work often.

Every time you unplug the receiver, or move the dish (etc.), you will have to go through this. Until Dish gets around to updating the software to stop looking for 129. (Hey Dish, you want to get on this?!).

It is easiest with 2 people, so one person can tell you when the screen changes. You can use something like a piece of plywood to block the signal, just make sure not to bump the dish enough to move it. Cardboard is not enough to block the signal.

I hope this helps :)

I guess my Wally/Playmaker is different. The times it has hung up, the progress bar is very close to the beginning. I've assumed that after a power outage, the startup defaults to WA (110, 119, 129) unless there is user intervention. As discussed in the other thread, choosing Hybrid (61.5, 110, 119) at that point causes the check switch and acquire to finish properly, and Josh concurs that Hybrid is the best workaround if it is available as a choice. If it's not a choice, then standing in front of the dish is an interesting if somewhat unappealing option. Thanks.

The post in the other thread discussing Hybrid:

I guess my Wally/Playmaker is different. The times it has hung up, the progress bar is very close to the beginning. I've assumed that after a power outage, the startup defaults to WA (110, 119, 129) unless there is user intervention. As discussed in the other thread, choosing Hybrid (61.5, 110, 119) at that point causes the check switch and acquire to finish properly, and Josh concurs that Hybrid is the best workaround if it is available as a choice. If it's not a choice, then standing in front of the dish is an interesting if somewhat unappealing option. Thanks.

The post in the other thread discussing Hybrid:
My boss was on the phone with King Controls and according to them, the Hybrid option doesn't work, as soon as it can't find 61.5, it is done. We have yet to test that though.

They also did confirm it is Dish's issue, Dish needs to update software.

HEY DishHelp , GET ON THAT!

That's interesting. Assuming the discussion is with King's HQ (Bloomington, MN) it would seem that 61.5 could be acquired. I'm more than 8 degrees further west than Bloomington, and my Playmaker acquires 61.5. My understanding is that 61.5 is due south of Nova Scotia.

Also interesting that King's sales info for the Tailgater says:

"Includes 100% nationwide coverage (western and eastern hybrid arc: 61.5, 110, 119)"

Last edited:
My boss was on the phone with King Controls and according to them, the Hybrid option doesn't work, as soon as it can't find 61.5, it is done. We have yet to test that though.

They also did confirm it is Dish's issue, Dish needs to update software.

HEY DishHelp , GET ON THAT!

There is software in development to resolve the issue, but likely won't make the current tailgating season.

That's interesting. Assuming the discussion is with King's HQ (Bloomington, MN) it would seem that 61.5 could be acquired. I'm more than 8 degrees further west than Bloomington, and my Playmaker acquires 61.5. My understanding is that 61.5 is due south of Nova Scotia.

Also interesting that King's sales info for the Tailgater 4 says:

"Includes 100% nationwide coverage (western and eastern hybrid arc: 61.5, 110, 119)"

My bad, I live on the West coast and forget that plenty of people can see 61.5. Around here it is at an 8 degree elevation and next to impossible to see.

Yes it should work fine assuming you can see it.

Went out on a service call for a Wally/Tailgater yesterday (1st problem was TV was on wrong input). We hadn't had any RV service calls in a few months, and I hadn't thought much about it, but I assumed dish would have had a software fix for the tailgater 129 issue by now.... Nope, software hasn't been updated since May... :rolleyes:

I have a very basic level of programming understanding, it shouldn't be that hard at all to make a small change for it to skip over "129" (if not remove it all together) from the coding, should maybe take an afternoon. I can't believe people are still fighting this issue.

But good news :) , I did figure a work around that may be easier than "standing in front of the dish" at the right time. I only tested it with a Wally. When the progress bar gets to the 3rd of 3 section, where it hangs forever, give it a minute and then disconnect the cable from the back of the Wally. Within 5 seconds it moves to the next step. Then, before doing anything else, hook the cable back up, select "View TV" from the "Your not getting all your satellites" warning, and proceed as normal. That worked very well for the customer yesterday, being as their dish was mounted to the roof of their RV.

The Selecting Hybrid 119, 110, 61.5 work around doesn't work if you can't see 61.5, which we can't from the West coast.

Hope this helps somebody.