Wireless Joey 4s without WAP on your own network instead

JohnGalt1234

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2023
Clarksville VA
Has anyone ditched the Dish WAP and just routed traffic over their own Network instead?

I've been installed for about 6 months. Have Hopper3 w/Hop+ and 3 wireless Joey 4s.

Worked fine for 1st couple weeks, but then the most watched wifiJoey4 started to drop off every couple of weeks...not a big deal and learned that you do not have to reboot Hop3, Joey4, or AP as the error msg often says says...within 5 mins it normally would reconnect itself and I'd switch my TV to Directv input instead while I waited.

I do regular reboots anyway on a schedule.

Drops became more and more frequent so when it got to daily drops I put my network monitor on to log all dish equipment disconnects and reconnects. Joey4 to WAP signal strength consistently was 55-75.
Everytime a WifiJoey4 dropped, I immediately got an alert and pinged all the Dish devices.

Hop3, Hop+, all ok and connected. WAP and Joey's offline.

So, for kicks and giggles, I plugged one of the WifiJoey4s ethernet into into a dedicated wifi extender and did the same for Hop3.

It worked fine for week+ with no drops other than scheduled reboot time, while the other 2 WifiJoey4s & their WAP dropped daily, then 4-5x a day, and then 10X+ a day.

Dish "premium" support was useless. Told them about all the logs how AP and connected Joeys were dropping , replaced LAN cable to new tested Cat 8. It just kept dropping. Sometimes after 30 mins, sometimes after 6 hours.

Of course they wanted to send a tech out I guess to sit here for hours to wait for it to randomly drop off, despite me having 50+ drops logged showing WAP and its remaining 2 WifiJoey4s with failed pings, all while Hop3, Hop+ and the wifiJoey4 with ethernet to dedicated extender on my network with none.

When I explained this to "premium" support, they said there was nothing they could do other than sending a tech out wait for it to go from and I should them screenshots of the errors from the TV in the meantime.

I thought if one works for a week on my network, plug the others into their own dedicated wifi extenders. Support actually said they support that configuration (news to me) and I did that a couple days ago and unplugged the WAP.

Only disconnects since (only 2 days) have been on each device's scheduled reboot time.

My network is really robust with commercial grade wired router capable of 30k+ sessions, wired wifi APs, hot failover to backup ISP with UPS power & generator for all router's and APs.

I have about 60 devices on my network and I'm diligent about monitoring and assigning channels for APs and 2.4 & 5 frequencies to minimize interference.

I'm concerned about the inference from the additional repeaters, but their signals between one another are weak and assigned channels keeps interference down (Dish WAP was positioned in the center of 3 distant rooms).

Has anyone else just ditched the Dish WAP and just run all the traffic on their network instead?

What problems have you had? What sort of pitfalls should I keep watch?
Any experience on this sort of configuration would be appreciated.

Has anyone ditched the Dish WAP and just routed traffic over their own Network instead?

I've been installed for about 6 months. Have Hopper3 w/Hop+ and 3 wireless Joey 4s.

Worked fine for 1st couple weeks, but then the most watched wifiJoey4 started to drop off every couple of weeks...not a big deal and learned that you do not have to reboot Hop3, Joey4, or AP as the error msg often says says...within 5 mins it normally would reconnect itself and I'd switch my TV to Directv input instead while I waited.

Drops became more and more frequent so when it got to daily drops I put my network monitor on to log all dish equipment disconnects and reconnects. Joey4 to WAP signal strength consistently was 55-75.
Everytime a WifiJoey4 dropped, I immediately got an alert and pinged all the Dish devices.

So, for kicks and giggles, I plugged one of the WifiJoey4s ethernet into into a dedicated wifi extender and did the same for Hop3.

It worked fine for week+ with no drops other than scheduled reboot time, while the other 2 WifiJoey4s & their WAP dropped daily, then 4-5x a day, and then 10X+ a day.

Dish "premium" support was useless. Told them about all the logs how AP and connected Joeys were dropping , replaced LAN cable to new tested Cat 8. It just kept dropping. Sometimes after 30 mins, sometimes after 6 hours.

Of course they wanted to send a tech out I guess to sit here for hours to wait for it to randomly drop off, despite me having 50+ drops logged showing WAP and its remaining 2 WifiJoey4s with failed pings, all while Hop3, Hop+ and the wifiJoey4 with ethernet to dedicated extender on my network with none.

When I explained this to "premium" support, they said there was nothing they could do other than sending a tech out wait for it to go from and I should them screenshots of the errors from the TV in the meantime.

I thought if one works for a week on my network, plug the others into their own dedicated wifi extenders. Support actually said they support that configuration (news to me) and I did that a couple days ago and unplugged the WAP.

Only disconnects since (only 2 days) have been on each device's scheduled reboot time.

My network is really robust with commercial grade wired router capable of 30k+ sessions, wired wifi APs, hot failover to backup ISP with UPS power & generator for all router's and APs.

I have about 60 devices on my network and I'm diligent about monitoring and assigning channels for APs and 2.4 & 5 frequencies to minimize interference.

I'm concerned about the inference from the additional repeaters, but their signals between one another are weak and assigned channels keeps interference down (Dish WAP was positioned in the center of 3 distant rooms).

Has anyone else just ditched the Dish WAP and just run all the traffic on their network instead?

I've got my WAP Ethernet connected into a switch instead of the Hopper and it works great.

I've got my WAP Ethernet connected into a switch instead of the Hopper and it works great.
That's an interesting idea. I don't have the WAP hooked up at all as I think it is faulty. But, if they ever replace it I might move it to a location where I can do that. Unless of course the problem is the WAP port on Hop3. I might try that after I run WAPless for a couple weeks as a back up connection.

Reactions: charlesrshell
So IF I connect my Wireless Joey to ATT Gateway {router/modem} and not to the WAP it should work?
As long as hopper is connected too, yes. Obviously if both are connected with ethernet you'll have better results.

While on topic of ethernet though, for anyone wanting to run through home network instead, since you'll be running ethernet to the wifi Joey anyways, at that point your better off using a joey3 (still connected with ethernet) that performs much better than a wifi Joey.

So IF I connect my Wireless Joey to ATT Gateway {router/modem} and not to the WAP it should work?
It should, In my case instead of getting a wireless Joey I just created a wireless connection using the ethernet to Wi-Fi adapter. I think it cost me $30-$40 for the adapter. Like I said no issues for more than a year in use now. Have to reset the adapter occasionally after I take the network down for any reason but zero issues with the Joey. In fact I think I have less issues with that Joey than the ones I have connected via MOCA. Go figure.

This is an interesting thread. Based on what I've read, I'm going to ask a specific question and let me know it I am right or wrong. First off, my H3 is connected to network wirelessly, speed of 300-400 mbps. So, if I wanted to ditch my Wireless Joey, I can get the netgear wifi adapter for a regular Joey 3 and be in business? The speed the dongle would have is same or faster than the Hopper's.

This is an interesting thread. Based on what I've read, I'm going to ask a specific question and let me know it I am right or wrong. First off, my H3 is connected to network wirelessly, speed of 300-400 mbps. So, if I wanted to ditch my Wireless Joey, I can get the netgear wifi adapter for a regular Joey 3 and be in business? The speed the dongle would have is same or faster than the Hopper's.
Charles, was that your usual "Like" or a Yes? I'm going to presume the former.

Update on status of this setup...
Works great so far for dvr to wifi Joey4s and streaming to it as well.

But, was watching live football today and there were several audio skips, brief image breaks but no buffering. Still not satisfactory for watching a game. I was recording the game while watching it live and the glitches were not on the recording, so it doesn't seem likely that the problem was in the satellite feed or the network broadcast.
Most of our dish viewing is from the dvr which seems as though it might have error correction or background buffering happening during playback to wifi joey4s?

I have watched live some with the new setup and haven't noticed the skips/audio issue until today, but was not recording them at the same time as watching live and I'm testing that state more now.

From my network perspective, I really hate having four more repeaters clogging up rebroadcasting on already congested channels. I already had 4 wired wifi APs, two for my private and 2 for my guest networks. The additional repeaters doubled that and are smack in between the regular network APs which are set up on different channels and far apart from one another to avoid interference.
I'm going to retry this config, but instead with router's configured as dedicated clients to avoid all the excess, unnecessary, duplicate network traffic and interference.

Thoughts? Other potential causes for skips/glitches?
I've had no disconnects other than scheduled reboots.

That's an interesting idea. I don't have the WAP hooked up at all as I think it is faulty. But, if they ever replace it I might move it to a location where I can do that. Unless of course the problem is the WAP port on Hop3. I might try that after I run WAPless for a couple weeks as a back up connection.
While waiting for my WiFi Client routers to arrive, I tried connecting the Dish WAP directly to my router. It dropped offline 15 times in 8 hours today ranging from 5-90 minutes between drops, while the Hop3 and WiFi Joey4s all remained online and linked to Hop3. Obviously not the ethernet port on Hop3.

My Dish WAP is obviously faulty.

Probably won't act on idea. Disused with wife about going YYTV this time next year, and she is open to it. Never thought she would be,. Even if not, the WJ is not as bad as the cost to "work around".

Last edited: