54.0 remote now doesnt control Hopper 3 and Sony TV simultaneously

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

omeletpants

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
For the last 3 years, at the end of the evening I press the 54.0 remote power button and it turns off the tv and shuts down Dish. A couple of days ago, pressing the remote power button would shut down Dish but then I had to press another couple of time fast to shut down the TV. I have changed no settings and nothing is in front of the TV sensor. Went to the remote wizard and changed to the next configuration for Sony and the problem persists. Thoughts? I have attached a picture of my settings

Attachments

• IMG_0386.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 136
A couple of days ago, pressing the remote power button would shut down Dish but then I had to press another couple of time fast to shut down the TV.
This has been going on with my 54 controlling a Westinghouse TV for YEARS. When I aim the remote right at the TV, it works. If I'm off center a tad, it does not. With my old UHF Pro 6.3 remotes, I could control the TV without issue while pointing it at the ceiling or the wall behind me. I never could do that with my 54. I just assumed the IR was feeble on the 54 as compared to my older Dish remotes.

The ones for your 54 remote. I would replace those batteries one more time. It wouldn't be the first time a new battery or two were defective.
Nope, just replaced them with two fresh batteries I just bought. No impact

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
But why would it just start out now after 3 years of perfect and no changes?
Darn good question; I do not know. :( I did have a Vizio TV remote quit emitting IR after over 10 years of flawless performance. But that literally went to zero as shown by my phone's camera, whereas yours IMHO has just gotten feeble as mine has been since I got it.

Does the TV's own remote work as before?

My problem with remote 54 is the opposite. Pressing power button will turn on both tv and Joey2. Yet, I can turn off only tv when I press it again! Joey2 stays on.
I replaced the batteries, reset the tv settings. Nothing worked. Fortunately, I have older Dish remotes with separate power buttons. I use those to shut joey2 off.
In my opinion, remote 52 is easier to use with extra buttons. I never use voice command. Some people prefer remote 54 though. If it really annoys you, get a remote 52 from ebay.

Edit: after reading TheKrell's reponse.... My tv is a 9 yr old Vizio and its remote works fine.

Darn, Hip!! No idea. I will try that soon. i wonder why that happens. I always assumed seeing green power light on the device meant it was still on.

One more thing HipKat... Why does older remote shut Hopper or Joey off right away compared to 54 then? Shouldn't the same delay take place?

Darn, Hip!! No idea. I will try that soon. i wonder why that happens. I always assumed seeing green power light on the device meant it was still on.

One more thing HipKat... Why does older remote shut Hopper or Joey off right away compared to 54 then? Shouldn't the same delay take place?
I've seen a lot of people make the same mistake. The 40 remotes and the 52 have separate power buttons just for the Receivers so you can turn them off directly, same as pushing the power button on the front panel

These Dish receivers really never turn off, they go into standby mode (low power) in order not to have to go through the whole series of steps when the receiver, switches and LNB are restarted from being unplugged.

No advice on my origional issue?
Sorry; I am running out of ideas. Did you rule out a problem with your TV by using the remote that came with it? If so, I missed that. Do you have any other universal remotes, notably from Dish, that you can try? Due to my experience (related above) with my 54, I am most suspicious of the remote itself getting feeble with age.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Sorry; I am running out of ideas. Did you rule out a problem with your TV by using the remote that came with it? If so, I missed that. Do you have any other universal remotes, notably from Dish, that you can try? Due to my experience (related above) with my 54, I am most suspicious of the remote itself getting feeble with age.
TV remote works fine guess I'll just have to turn on and off dish and the TV with their respective remotes

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)