54.0 remote won't power up Onkyo AVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Two things, first, have you tried updating the firmware on your Onkyo. I read that there is a recent update for your model. It didn’t have anything to do with power but you never know. Second, press the Aux button on the side of your 54 remote and then press power. Does pressing the power button turn the Onkyo off and on? If it does then there might be something wrong in the CEC chain. Even though you previously enabled CEC on your devices check each one again to ensure that they are still enabled. If they are, as mentioned, you might replace HDMI cables, one at a time, to see if it remedies your issue.

Because I don’t actually use my 54 remote much, I use a Harmony 700, and I don’t actually use CEC because the Harmony does the work for me, I decided to do some testing. First, I am set up as follows: Hopper 3 to a Denon AVR and then from the Denon to a Vizio monitor. Now, I enabled CEC on all three devices and then used the 54 remote to turn on all three with one push if the power button. That worked perfectly. Then I reversed it and shut them all down with one push. Next I disabled CEC on the three devices. I pressed the power button on the 54 remote and all three devices turned on. I pressed the power button and the TV turned off, the Hopper 3 went into it’s 5 minute hold cycle, and the Denon went to mute, not off. I’m not sure what that was all about but I can turn the Denon off by pressing the Aux button and then the power button. So, what that proves to me is that CEC is not necessarily important to Cosmo’s issue with exception that the Denon isn’t reading the power toggle from the 54 properly without CEC.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Does the Onkyo remote turn the power on and off?? You said you do it manually, but with the remote or pressing power on the receiver? If it does, I would give the learning feature a shot

I just inboxed a new sr393 yesterday and spent most of day struggling with same problem! Can’t even find a code that will allow volume or mute? Used all the one’s in dish menu + all ones Onkyo says for receivers on webs site. Remote used power up tv, old onkyo receiver, hopper with small power button. Volume/mute for both? That dish remote too old? Was Leary of trying the learn using the new onkyo remote as don’t want to mess up dish remote at least running tv.

The code that my Onkyo TX-SR502 receiver uses for Dish is 1805. Of course it is an old receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I just inboxed a new sr393 yesterday and spent most of day struggling with same problem! Can’t even find a code that will allow volume or mute? Used all the one’s in dish menu + all ones Onkyo says for receivers on webs site. Remote used power up tv, old onkyo receiver, hopper with small power button. Volume/mute for both? That dish remote too old? Was Leary of trying the learn using the new onkyo remote as don’t want to mess up dish remote at least running tv.
Here's a suggestion. I have a relatively new Denon receiver and a few months old onn. TV. The Denon has the same issue. I can't come up with a code that makes the 54 Dish remote do full power on and off, and volume. I can do volume but not power on/off.

But...since the receiver and the TV are both CEC-enabled, I have the Dish Hopper 3 connected as one of the inputs directly to the TV. I have the TV sound output going to the "TV" input on the Denon.

I do have a code that works for power on/off and volume of the onn. TV. So, the Dish remote powers on the TV, which then powers on the Denon receiver via CEC, and using the 54 remote for volume up/down causes the Denon to respond, but it is doing so because of its CEC connection to the TV. So all power on/off and volume from the Denon's point of view is due to CEC commands from the TV.

The Bad cable suggestion is possible and never hurts to try another HDMI cable.

Another thing - did you or someone use the power switch on the Onkyo directly or change the input?
Turn the Onkyo on directly, will the remote turn it off? And is it on the same input it should be on?

Will the actual Onkyo remote turn it on?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)