54.0 remote won't power up Onkyo AVR (1 Viewer)

Bobby

Publican
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Rohnert Park, CA
Two things, first, have you tried updating the firmware on your Onkyo. I read that there is a recent update for your model. It didn’t have anything to do with power but you never know. Second, press the Aux button on the side of your 54 remote and then press power. Does pressing the power button turn the Onkyo off and on? If it does then there might be something wrong in the CEC chain. Even though you previously enabled CEC on your devices check each one again to ensure that they are still enabled. If they are, as mentioned, you might replace HDMI cables, one at a time, to see if it remedies your issue.

Bobby

Publican
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Rohnert Park, CA
Because I don’t actually use my 54 remote much, I use a Harmony 700, and I don’t actually use CEC because the Harmony does the work for me, I decided to do some testing. First, I am set up as follows: Hopper 3 to a Denon AVR and then from the Denon to a Vizio monitor. Now, I enabled CEC on all three devices and then used the 54 remote to turn on all three with one push if the power button. That worked perfectly. Then I reversed it and shut them all down with one push. Next I disabled CEC on the three devices. I pressed the power button on the 54 remote and all three devices turned on. I pressed the power button and the TV turned off, the Hopper 3 went into it’s 5 minute hold cycle, and the Denon went to mute, not off. I’m not sure what that was all about but I can turn the Denon off by pressing the Aux button and then the power button. So, what that proves to me is that CEC is not necessarily important to Cosmo’s issue with exception that the Denon isn’t reading the power toggle from the 54 properly without CEC.

Reactions: charlesrshell

HipKat

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 25, 2017
Pekin, IL
Does the Onkyo remote turn the power on and off?? You said you do it manually, but with the remote or pressing power on the receiver? If it does, I would give the learning feature a shot

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)