5G and the Hopper?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
So what is going to happen when 5G Internet is here with the Hopper? Will we get our Internet service from a local tower antenna in the neighborhood? Will we need something to install in our home like we do now with the modem / router? Will we need a 5G super Hopper? I don't know much about 5G yet as you can tell. Just thought I would ask.

I suppose, given Dish's 5G aspirations, that might change.
So will the 5G signal come in wireless to the home 5G router? I guess someday we will have a choice in the St Louis area with Charter, ATT, Verizon, and DISH. We went ahead and upgraded our cell phones with Verizon to non 5G version for now.

"5G" is just the next step in cell technology, and service to your home will be essentially the same as the current cell based home Internet services from AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon, or non-cell WISP services, but with faster speeds. You'll have a wireless router, possibly with an outside antenna, and from that point on connecting to it is no different than any other Internet service. Your Hopper won't know or care where the service comes from.

"5G" is just the next step in cell technology, and service to your home will be essentially the same as the current cell based home Internet services from AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon, or non-cell WISP services, but with faster speeds. You'll have a wireless router, possibly with an outside antenna, and from that point on connecting to it is no different than any other Internet service. Your Hopper won't know or care where the service comes from.
So will folks who live out in the country have much faster Internet service?

Sure... Once the cells are extended to their area

I anxiously await the day. I have a Verizon tower in my back yard, so there's a chance... someday. The problem is that the backhaul being supplied to the tower is only 50 Mb/s x 50 Mb/s copper from Consolidated Communications. So unless CCI updates their delivery, or Verizon can do some kind of "daisy chaining" tower to tower, it's gonna be a LONG time.

I anxiously await the day. I have a Verizon tower in my back yard, so there's a chance... someday. The problem is that the backhaul being supplied to the tower is only 50 Mb/s x 50 Mb/s copper from Consolidated Communications. So unless CCI updates their delivery, or Verizon can do some kind of "daisy chaining" tower to tower, it's gonna be a LONG time.

Yep... Our upstate NY cottage is in a similar situation. The nearest cell tower (AT&T and Verizon) is barely a mile away, but the shared backhaul isn't much better than yours.

Yep... Our upstate NY cottage is in a similar situation. The nearest cell tower (AT&T and Verizon) is barely a mile away, but the shared backhaul isn't much better than yours.

Luckily, mine is just Verizon cells, so the pipe is dedicated. Even then, between 8-10PM, it can slow to 4 or 5 Mb/s

How do you guys know what the backhaul is for nearby towers? I have a tower close by, and for kicks would love to know who supplies the backhaul. Either there is a centralized database somewhere or have inside information?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: TheKrell
How do you guys know what the backhaul is for nearby towers?

I asked a CCI guy who was at my house one time. In rural areas, the local Telco is almost always supplying the tower backhaul, so start there.

If there is no local telco, then the cellco can use microwave antennas to relay a signal to a nearby tower, but it's more cost effective to use a local telco's copper or fiber.

Reactions: dolfan3033
Luckily, mine is just Verizon cells, so the pipe is dedicated. Even then, between 8-10PM, it can slow to 4 or 5 Mb/s
We typically see 25-30 Mbps down on either service when we're there, but it does drop to 10-15 Mbps at peak times. We also have Spectrum 30 Mbps service at the cottage, but that also slows down during peak times. We can still stream at those speeds, but sometimes the resolution takes a hit.

How do you guys know what the backhaul is for nearby towers? I have a tower close by, and for kicks would love to know who supplies the backhaul. Either there is a centralized database somewhere or have inside information?
Insider information... A friend of mine is a field maintenance supervisor with American Tower, and it's one of his towers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)