5G and the Hopper?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The problem with building 5g technology into the hopper...it would have to handle multiple 5g providers....not all 5g is the same

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

How is this any different then cell phones? My phone can connect to EVOD, EDGE and about two dozen different LTE bands. The Hopper would just need multiple radios inside of it. The problem would come into play as more 5G bands become available, there would have to be continuous upgrades being made, and people generally don't upgrade their satellite receivers as often as their cell phones.

Besides there is supposed to be one primary worldwide 5G Standard, 5G NR, which is split into two frequency ranges. Verizon's in home fixed 5G solution you linked to does not conform to the 5G NR standard, it is their own made up 5G that they call 5G TF. And in all likelihood will be discontinued as Verizon themselves stated that they will migrate 5G TF areas to 5G NR. The 'First on 5G' campaign from last Fall launching fake 5G in small pockets of four cities was just to say 'We did it first'.

The bigger problem with having an integrated 5G radio into the Hopper is what you said in another post, 5G will use high frequencies. If the Hopper is in a basement, or your house is made out of brick, it will have a tough time acquiring a cellular signal. Since the Hopper is not a mobile device, I see no reason for an integrated radio. Just connect it to your LAN via ethernet and be done with it.

Yeah and how do you know that? They're installing 5G in Moscow now? What credentials do you have that afford you so much unlimited knowledge? :coco

It must be great being you!

I don't think Juan is completely off base. 5G will be reliant on high frequencies in order to achieve the speeds that are touted. The higher the frequency, the shorter the distance the signal will travel and the poorer penetration will be. It's physics. Verizon is even marketing their 5G as 'Ultra Wideband'. The definition of UWB is pretty much high bandwidth over a short distance using not much energy. Deploying 5G NR on existing cell towers is not enough, it will only serve those in the immediate area where tower is located, doing almost nothing for rural areas where towers are spaced miles apart. Macrocells will be needed, and again, other then for test cases, do you think a provider would rather put up a macrocell that covers a large apartment complex in LA or one that covers one house and a bunch of cows in Nebraska?

The two true 5G devices in the United States that exist at this point are the Moto Z w/5G Moto Mod on Verizon and the Netgear Nighthawk Mobile Hot Spot on AT&T. Verizon is using n260 and n261, AT&T is using n260. You pretty much have to be within eyesight of the cell in order to connect. This is not going to do anything for rural areas anytime soon.

I can maybe see Dish going after some rural areas, since that is more their base, but I don't think it will be something magical like some are making it out to be.

Here's a CNet review of Verizon's 5G on day 1. The macrocell in the Verizon store is shown at the 1:05 mark, and outdoor ones are shown in the minutes after. That is what 5G will look like.

not sure if thats legal

Why? Carriers lock phones to their network all the time, and many IOT devices already locked to certain networks (like my Kindle). Is there something new in the 5G spec that disallows this practice?

Why? Carriers lock phones to their network all the time, and many IOT devices already locked to certain networks (like my Kindle). Is there something new in the 5G spec that disallows this practice?
5g equipment has to work with any carrier,,its in the spec..called interoperability..you can't be locked into a specific carrier..you should only need to change the symcard...cell phone/equipment rules and satellite rules are 2 different beasts

5g equipment has to work with any carrier,,its in the spec..called interoperability..you can't be locked into a specific carrier..you should only need to change the symcard...cell phone/equipment rules and satellite rules are 2 different beasts

Is that a technical spec or a business spec? Is the FCC going to force everyone to sell unlocked phones? I cannot find a reference that states that devices cannot be locked to a network.

This is the only kind of thing I could find:

AT&T says 5G is going to bring carrier-locked phones back in a big way

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)