5LNB roof install, grounded properly?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ohman

Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Folks,
I recently had the 5-LNB installed on my roof. Before the tech left, I asked if he grounded the dish, to which he answered yes. I checked after he left and my unprofessional eye doesn't see evidence of this. Here are the pics. Can someone advise? Sorry if this is a repeat post, if so, if someone can refer me to the archive, I'd appreciate.

Many Thanks!!

Attachments

• 5LNB_1.JPG
    5LNB_1.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 326
  • 5LNB_2.jpg
    5LNB_2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 349
Not only was it not grounded but it WILL leak, The tar or whatever was put on AFTER the dish was secured to the house. What a shade tree install. Call and get it fixed (make them take the dish off the house and seal it correctly before it leaks into the room below!

OK, I have to fess up - the black caulk was added by me afterwards. What you can't see is the clear caulk that was applied to each of the mount points. I just added the line of black caulk to help block water from entering where the mount attaches to the roof...I know, it AIN'T pretty..

As for the 3-prong outlets, yes we have them throughout the house. Where would I look to see evidence that it has been grounded this way? Or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks.

Welcome to SatGuys; I just reduced the size of the photos above to 800 x 600 to make for much easier D/L and viewing by all. I hope you get your issue worked out.

Attachments

• 5LNB_1.JPG
    5LNB_1.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 240
  • 5LNB_2.jpg
    5LNB_2.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 212
I see grounding blocks but no ground wire. Is there a ground wire from both blocks ?

Without a ground wire connected ( grounded ) the grounding blocks are not accomplishing anything.

It is the new "wireless" grounding system developed by NASA. I wasn't aware it had been released to the public. Just kidding. No there is no ground, you can see the end of the messenger wires, and they are not stripped or attached to anything. I wonder what the other end of the messenger wires are attached to? If they are grounded correctly, then all he needs to do is strip the end of the wires and screw them into the ground blocks.

Your system is not grounded atleast where you have taken the photo's at, look through the rest of the system as it leaves the dish and goes into the house and if you see any more of the ground blocks then look for wires ( not coax) and where it runs to. I can tell you though as others have stated that at best its a redneck self install but I would label it more as a hack job done by someone thats paid by the install and not the hour. Installations like this have been my biggest wild hair when I did installation work, dont settle for this crap job and if they wont fix it then cancel and get another service.

Not the best I've seen, but not even close to the worse. The connectors at the grounding block WILL be vulnerable to moisture intrusion. At the bottom of the loop, water flows down to the connection. The connections should be horizontal but the cables entering and exiting should flow downward, with the connectors at the top of the loop.

The caulking does nothig to keep out water, but MAY ACTUALLY MAKE THE MOUNT MORE VULNERABLE. The entry points are sealed at the screws. The caulking might create pockets that MAY retain water. Properly sealed around the screws that have been driven into holes smaller that the screw shanks, the mount should NOT leak. Remove the black caulk.

The grounding blocks should be OK, if the cables enter the house close to them. Otherwise, they should be close to the point, where the cables enter the house.

Running a #10 copper wire through the holes of the grounding block and terminating the ends at a screw on the mounting foot and the other at the house electrical system ground is the way to go. The messenger wires currently not connected should be fastened to a point on the copper ground wire with a copper split bolt.

What the???
Call the install company and make them get rid of those ground blocks connected to nothing on your roof. The loops in the wire focus water right into those (nice actually) connectors. Ground blocks should be located by your existing cable demarcation point, main electrical ground, or at least the side of your house. Some yahoo sighted your dish with the short cables and threw in ground blocks for mysteious reasons. I have heard just installing a ground block, even improperly, will protect you from insurance claims.
Either way, that install is definately NOT up to NEC code!

I did the same thing on our DISH install last month. I specifically asked the installer to ground the system.

He grounded it alright, by attaching the ground wire to the metal casing of our electric meter. He did NOT attach the grounding block to the house. 3 calls to the installer's company and 3 missed appointments later I fixed it myself. Still not sure if the ground wire going to our electric meter casing is proper.

not only is it not grounded but you have two compression fittings improperly installed. check the frayed wire hanging out.

ohman said:
Folks,
I recently had the 5-LNB installed on my roof. Before the tech left, I asked if he grounded the dish, to which he answered yes. I checked after he left and my unprofessional eye doesn't see evidence of this. Here are the pics. Can someone advise? Sorry if this is a repeat post, if so, if someone can refer me to the archive, I'd appreciate.

Many Thanks!!

Horrible job on the part of the installer. Below are some photos of one of a couple of ways a ground should be.

BTW I know the pics suck because my camera sucks TY.:D

Attachments

• g.JPG
    g.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 217
  • g1.JPG
    g1.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 195
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)