5x8 switch and antenna input questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

madpoet

Too Much Hi Def!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2004
Vernon, CT
I need to run an additional line to a room, which means I'll need to install a 5x8 switch for my oval dish. I'm already using the 4. All 4 lines from the dish run down to a point on the outside of my house and then branch off in various directions. Can the switch be installed outside, or since it's powered does it need to be indoors?

Also, I notice the switch has an antenna port. Currently my antenna line runs down from my roof into my garage where I have the power for my preamp, then to my various sets. I understand I would need to use a diplexer to seperate out the signal at the box, but if I only need to do it for 1 TV (all the rest already have seperate antenna lines run) would that impact the sat signal to the others? In other words, would I need to use diplexers on every box but only use the sat out except the one box I wanted antenna input?

Thanks,
MP

You can use most of the multi-switch in or outside. I perfer inside. But the simplest way to do this would get the antenna wire over to your multiswitch and diplex the one tv. since you done have the wire there but one the one if you diplexed it you would only need 1 wire going in.

t

put the M/S inside.

run the ota antenna on its own.

these are the same techs that were sayng, with (v) doom, oh my god , make the tech run a seperate line for the ota. now they are saying USE the diplexers!!! talk about an agenda!!!

While I agree that normally I would never use a diplexer, the fact is that running another wire to this set is impractical at best. I only need the antenna for 1 station, and it's a fairly powerful one. So I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to pick it up even with the loss from the diplexer. Getting the four lines inside will be a bit of a challenge, as will running 5 lines back out! Guess I need to get a big drill, some barrel connectors, and good connections.

madpoet said:
While I agree that normally I would never use a diplexer, the fact is that running another wire to this set is impractical at best. I only need the antenna for 1 station, and it's a fairly powerful one. So I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to pick it up even with the loss from the diplexer. Getting the four lines inside will be a bit of a challenge, as will running 5 lines back out! Guess I need to get a big drill, some barrel connectors, and good connections.

consider mounting a weather shielded box outside

sateck01 said:
put the M/S inside.

run the ota antenna on its own.

these are the same techs that were sayng, with (v) doom, oh my god , make the tech run a seperate line for the ota. now they are saying USE the diplexers!!! talk about an agenda!!!

If said run another line and not use a diplexer it was cause that is what the customer wanted.

But in this case he asked if he could do it this way. OR what would be the easyest and i told him what he could do.

t

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)