$60 to send a dish?!?!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
I know shipping rates have gone up, but this is utter BS.

I have a directv slimline dish without the lnbf. I put it in a box as small as physically possible. The length and width is just .5" bigger than the reflector. The height is like 10". Weight is 25 pounds.

The cheapest shipping method I can find, UPS, is SIXTY DOLLARS.

I cannot make a smaller box, I cannot find a cheaper carrier.

Last year I shipped one of these, and it was only $22.50.

How solid signal can ship this dish for $20.95 is beyond me!

First, set up an account with UPS so you can print shipping labels yourself. Then, make sure your ship from address is one of their UPS stores, preferably one that is close to a major distribution hub.

Solid Signal has a huge advantage because they are so high volume.

Most Slimlines I ship cost 30ish. But keep in mind, this isn't flat rate shipping. Cost is going to vary GREATLY based on origin and destination addresses.

Well. This cost was with UPS and FedEx. I tried the post office, and they were only $25. Case in point, UPS is greedy.

I know shipping rates have gone up, but this is utter BS.

I have a directv slimline dish without the lnbf. I put it in a box as small as physically possible. The length and width is just .5" bigger than the reflector. The height is like 10". Weight is 25 pounds.

The cheapest shipping method I can find, UPS, is SIXTY DOLLARS.

I cannot make a smaller box, I cannot find a cheaper carrier.

Last year I shipped one of these, and it was only $22.50.

How solid signal can ship this dish for $20.95 is beyond me!
UPS shipping rates are by the zone. The farther the package travels, the more it costs.
To answer your second question, bulk rates. Companies that ship large numbers of packages can and do negotiate lower rates.
Did you check the rates for UPS Ground. Cross country (Zone 1 to Zone 8) for a 25 lb package is $24.90...For Second Day Air is over $70....I saw a rate for Zone 1 to Zone 6 which is like sending it from New England to Denver is $60.50

In my experiences with shipping in the past, on smaller items typically 2-3 lbs or less USPS is the cheapest. Anything over that weight Fedex is cheapest and UPS a few bucks more. The exception would be heavy flat rate priorities.

I guess that's one of the advantage of comcast - they don't charge you return their equipment if you cancel (or if you need to change out the DVR). I do not look forward to the day that I cancel directv (if I ever do).

I guess that's one of the advantage of comcast - they don't charge you return their equipment if you cancel (or if you need to change out the DVR). I do not look forward to the day that I cancel directv (if I ever do).

Neither DirecTV nor Dish Network has ever required you to return the entire satellite dish. DirecTV doesn't even ask for the LNB back. This is NOT an advantage of cable over satellite. Cable companies do require the return of their leased equipment, just the same as DirecTV and Dish Network.

all D* wants is the receivers....the rest is yours to keep
D* doesnt charge to send back recievers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)