61.5 reception

Trouthead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Rockies
Was wondering if the reception on the 61.5 satellite for those in the Rockies is better on DISH than it was on VOOM, (which I believe was the same satellite).

I was a Voomer and rain fade and snow fade was pretty bad at times.

An thinking of adding VOOM channels to my DISH setup and will need the 61.5 dish. Already have a dish 500 pointed at 110 and 119 and another 500 pointed at 148 for locals. Will I need another switch to add the 61.5

An thinking of adding VOOM channels to my DISH setup and will need the 61.5 dish. Already have a dish 500 pointed at 110 and 119 and another 500 pointed at 148 for locals. Will I need another switch to add the 61.5

yes you will. You would need the DPP44 switch for 4 slots

Was wondering if the reception on the 61.5 satellite for those in the Rockies is better on DISH than it was on VOOM, (which I believe was the same satellite).

I was a Voomer and rain fade and snow fade was pretty bad at times.

Is there something else on 61.5 that interests you? Otherwise, you could point a dish to 129 and get a much cleaner satellite look for the voom channels.

Or try 61.5and 129 and see what works best for you.

I might move to New England for HD and NESN.

Also still curious about rain fade in the rockies with the 61.5. It could get bad with the old Voom System at times.

I'll tell ya what I used to tell the Canadians...
"bigger is better"

Get a bigger dish. :eureka
30, 33, and 36 inch FTA dishes are readily available.
I've seen some outrageous ones in Florida to cut through the rain fade.
(four foot and better)
The guys who are serious about it, go for a serious solution.

Well, not to drop any names ,but Sadoun sells 30 and 36 inch dishes.
Here's their antenna page. Note: larger than 36" cost too much to ship.
Check all the advertizers on this forum for other choices.
And if you're located close to any of the suppliers, then a local pickup might save you a lot on shipping.

The FTA community uses these dishes to receive weaker satellites all the time.
No reason you shouldn't get one and pin the needle, too! :)
They often recycle discarded commercial satellite antennas.

Note that you may have a little trouble mounting a dishPro LNB, but many here will give you all sorts of suggestions.

didn't 61.5 get the cbs hd where 129 didn't??? or was that changed resently... either way i think all the hd channels are on both sats, which is very convieniant for LOS issues

I believe the CBS-HD East and West are history.

South of Denver, actually a little south of Aurora, and using a Dish 500, I have never had a problem with either 129 or 61.5.

129 also comes in good on a SuperDish 121 - when I tape a LNBF to it.:D

Hurry Charlie, I need a SuperDish 121 Repoint Kit. My Korean Variety Pack expires next month, and it will be time to look at DirecTV's Korean programming so that I don't have to use 3 dishes or duct-tape to get everything.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts