61.5 Spot 3 Transponder 15 Signal Loss

mciaio

Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
PA
Hello, new here, but have some experience with dishes. I have a "moved" sub from NYC. I am in zip 17522 and well within the spot beam on the map. With my 1000.4 I only get about 18-20 signal on the spot beam. On a dish 500 it's the same, with a fortec star 80 cm it is the same. That's fine through out the day, but at night at about 10:30 or 11pm I drop to 9 on all three dishes. This is a 1 month old install so I doubt the lines, LNB or box is the issue. Everything else on 61.5 is nice and strong 24/7. Does Dish lower the output on spot beams at night? Any other ideas on how to maintain this signal? Larger than a 80cm?

Why would they lower the power at night. How would there be any advantage to doing that? You mostl likely have a connection problem that is having trouble when it gets cold at night. It could be the LNB on the dish you will need to check and see if anything else is dropping in SS then as well.

Why would Dish do half the stuff they do? Save up battery power for the next day? I don't know. This is not related to temp. Works great at 14 degrees during the day, but drops off at night at 50 degrees. Two different LNBs act the same way. All the other transponders on 61.5 are fine all the time. Does anyone else see a drop in signal on that transponder at night?

I don't know about your problem, but I do know that the spotbeam maps for the 61.5 satellite are outdated. If they were accurate then my location would barely get any signal out of our own locals.

2 LNB"s ?

Why would Dish do half the stuff they do? Save up battery power for the next day? I don't know. This is not related to temp. Works great at 14 degrees during the day, but drops off at night at 50 degrees. Two different LNBs act the same way. All the other transponders on 61.5 are fine all the time. Does anyone else see a drop in signal on that transponder at night?

Are you saying that you have switched LNB's and still have th problem?

I don't know about your problem, but I do know that the spotbeam maps for the 61.5 satellite are outdated. If they were accurate then my location would barely get any signal out of our own locals.

I thought they were just updated? Guess not. I am maybe a mile outside of the white EIRP line which means I should be getting max possible signal. I feel like deep fringe where a 32" dish isn't even getting a good signal.

Yup it is. I tthought a bigger dish would have solved the issue, but it didn't. I have a dish 500 pointed at 110/119 not being used. I am thinking about dumping the 32" so at least I can get the NYC locals in SD when the HD drops out at night off of 119. Oh well, anyone else have an idea?

I thought they were just updated? Guess not. I am maybe a mile outside of the white EIRP line which means I should be getting max possible signal. I feel like deep fringe where a 32" dish isn't even getting a good signal.

It appears that you are right. The beams on satmaps do look slightly different from "the list." I wonder if it is something I noticed while searching for a market to "move" to. Sometimes sets of locals on the same spotbeam but a different transponder would give me very different values for signal strength. For example, when I was researching whether to move to an adjacent market in the Tri Cities, TN, I found signal strengths in the 20s on the 129 satellite. On supposedly the same spotbeam on a different transponder, a set of locals from West Virginia gave me strengths in the 50s. I settled on Atlanta, which gave me readings in the 30s and 40s on a different spotbeam.

Now I am just really pissed off... 10:45 pm. 6 on the meter. What they hell would make it go from 23 to 6 on one transponder? That's a HUGE drop if you ask me. All this for NY locals in HD! Sucks! My wife is ready to kill me because her shows are dropping out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)