6100 video pulsing plus dashes in STRETCH mode

user659

Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
Ontario
Have a Bell 6100 feeding a Panasonic Plasma TH-50PX50U. I get sporadic pulsing of the video with interspersed dotted lines when 6100 is in STRETCH mode. Seems to occur most often during video frame changes. Pulsing may last for several seconds. Can turn it off by changing the 6100 Aspect to anything but STRETCH.

The following attempts did not solve the problem:

- switching to another 6100
- switching the 6100 HD setup setting to 1080i, 720P or 480P
- switching from Component cables to SVHS or DVI to HDMI

The pulsing does not occur when viewing DVDs.
The pulsing does not occur when I connect to an old TV (not LCD or plasma).

Panasonic Cistomer Care said the problem is well known to them and is tied to the 6100 and the dish setup. I was told to contact Bell.

Has any one else experienced this problem and can comment?

Thanks,

Ian

It's a new one on me.....

Would love to know how the Dish setup can be affecting it though.....lol

I can only suggest the obvious, do not use stretch mode.

If Panasonic say it is a well know issue, what do they say is causing it.?

The rep claimed that the 6100's method for stretching the video was the problem, but that this could be influenced by the dish-to-receiver equipment status.

Naturally, I had a real problem accepting that two 6100's would produce the same problem and that connecting one of them to a different but non-LCD/Plasma TV was symptom free but she was unfazed by that. Indeed,as soon as I had mentioned:

- a Bell 6100
- pulsing/flickering image
- dashes appearing across the pulsing video
- no audio problem
- no problem when viewing a DVD (That was a big point)
- problem existed regardless of cable type
- problem existed regardless of 6100 HD resolution setting

her response was virtually - "Oh yeh. Known problem."

fI have seen other forum postings that criticize the 6100's method for stretching the video. So where ther's smoke,there may be fire.

Thanks,
Ian

I just hooked up a 6100 to my Hitachi 50" Plasma, looked just great, even when stretched. Took it across to my neighbors, 42" Panasonic Plasma, same results.

If it is any consolation, the 6100 will eventually be phased out when Bell TV go over to MPEG4, no idea when though.

I know it might not be ideal but keep you eye open for a good deal on the 6131, I have seen them for $199 pretty often, they can at least have an external hard Drive attached to create an HD PVR and you should still get $100 for the 6100....Just a thought.

Thanks.

Yes, I have two 6100's at another location and this problem has never arisen with them.

I e/mailed by story to Panasonic Service for a second opinion. They hung their hat on the fact that the problem does not occur when playing a DVD. Story closed.

We may just replace the 6100 with a Bell PVR, (which we wanted anyway) and have it installed by Bell. Then, if the Stretch problem occurs, have the installer address the problem.

ian

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts