612 issues.

dannorob

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Am on my third 612 in 6 months...hard drive failure every time... Suggestions? Foreign tech support stated 612 was only one available for my service.

3 is a bit much as issacmorseMi mentioned make sure its not overheating.It could possibly be a run of bad refurbs.

I have had a 612 for going on 2yrs now and its been solid no loss of recordings or anything major.It did have a few bugs but s/w updates resolved that.It was new and not a refurb though.

Each time I lost all recordings and have expressed my non-satisfaction, with no resulting offer to upgrade or even an offer of a credit to my bill...get a new 612 and start to get my recordings replaced.....boom hard drive failure with no recovery. I have stopped using my dvr for sheer frustration.

...and as far as I can tell it is well ventilated. It is not enclosed in any way...out of direct sunlight...with no other sources of heat near.

Each time I lost all recordings and have expressed my non-satisfaction, with no resulting offer to upgrade or even an offer of a credit to my bill...get a new 612 and start to get my recordings replaced.....boom hard drive failure with no recovery. I have stopped using my dvr for sheer frustration.
Have you tried using an EHD? You can transfer from the 612 to EHD then if the 612 fails you can connect the EHD to the replacement without losing your recording.

I have looked at the ehd option but would like for the equipment to work as designed. Question..does the ehd control the pause/ rewind live tv or is that via the ihd? If I switch ehd to another receiver or change providers do I lose recordings.

dannorob said:
I have looked at the ehd option but would like for the equipment to work as designed. Question..does the ehd control the pause/ rewind live tv or is that via the ihd? If I switch ehd to another receiver or change providers do I lose recordings.

If you switch it to another Dish reciever you will not lose your recordings. If you change providers then you do lose them.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I had a ton of issues with my 612 and once I replaced it with a 722K all of the issues went away (I have the Hopper now).
same here, we had 2 of them and had 6 different 612s come through our house in 4 months, plus about 8 tech visits and once we got rid of them no longer had those issues. We had video and audio drop outs on live and recorded programs. The 612 is a POS.

You have to keep the EHD to either dvr or non-dvr types on Dish. If you activate one for the 211, it will not work with 612, 622, 722, 922, or Hopper without losing recordings, or if you start with dvr unit and connect to the 211 or 411. Also, 211 and 411 has an activation charge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)