612 remote question

willr

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
se pa
can a 612 use a UHF remote? CSR tells me it already is a UHF remote but status screen shows it is an IR (plus it don't work if you cover the IR transmitter). I called to ask if there is anything we can do about the noise this thing makes at night (it's not the upgrade, that is set to 10:00am). CSR said to unplug it at night . Kind of defeats the idea of having a PVR. I need to switch to UHF so I can get this loud POS out of my daughters room and into a closet for noise abatement. If yes, can I convert an IR remote to UHF by getting dish to send me those chips that go in the bottom of the remote?

I have two 612s on lease from Dish and they both came with a UHF Pro 6.3 remote set to UHF by default. I flipped the chip at the bottom over and set them both to IR, to avoid chaos and confusion with my 722 which uses two more UHF Pro remotes. If that's the type of remote you have, then you should likewise be able to flip the chip back to it's deefault setup. Follow the directions in the manual for doing this. I don't remember what exactly you do, but I think you use the remote that works to navigate to Menu - 6 - 1 - 3, flip the chip over, and then hit the record button on the remote. The relevant menu item should then switch back to UHF.

My daughter set her 612 reset time to 8AM as an alarm, and that seems to work well for her. Both our units generally make the loud fan noise at the reset time and at no other time. Is yours getting adequate ventilation?

Its just sitting on a table top with nothing on top of it so it is getting full ventilation. I think what is happening is she is recording stuff when she would normally be going to sleep and she hears hard drive noise. I know once she is asleep not even the update would wake her up. I need to listen to it but every time I am in there she has a computer running and it's fans are louder then the receiver. Thanks for the tip on the remote.

I noticed the remote that came with my 612 already had a sticker on the back that said living room. Dam contractor gave me a used remote (and probably a used receiver). So I call Dishnetwork. Dishnetwork really needs to do something about their support. First CSR said the 612 is IR only (even though I already had a UHF from another Receiver working on it). Then another CSR said they were sending me a new UHF remote. I open the box and it is a 20.0 IR remote. I call them again, they continue to tell me the 612 is IR only. I ask why did they put that UHF remote antenna on the back? then they tell me they will sell me a 21.0 UHF remote because the 612 only comes with IR remote. I bet if I call back and ask for a replacement UHF remote for one of my 612's they will send me one :)

Yes, the 612 can use a UHF remote or an IR remote, or both at the same time.

The remote that comes with it has a chip at the bottom, One way it uses UHF, turn it over and it uses IR as you stated. If you have another remote, like an all in one, or from another device, it can control the box using the IR, while you keep the Dish remote on UHF.

What is the part number of this remote that should have come with my 612 (that is either UHF or IR)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts