622/508 should I upgrade to a pair of 612s?

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
I have a 622 in the living room and I kept the old 508 in the bedroom because it wasn't showing up as having any kind of extra charge on it. (no DVR fee and no additional receiver access fee). When I upgraded my living room 625 to the 622, I somehow got the additional receiver fee on the 508 in the bedroom.

We never do PiP on the 622 and we never user the TV2 output. It's connected to a single TV and that's the way it has always been. I have it for the same reason I had the 625. We make use of the ability to record from multiple sources simultaneously.

The 508, while it may be grandfathered out of DVR fees, is a single tuner. Lately, my wife is watching something in the living room that I don't want to watch (usually cop shows.... sorry... not a fan) so I go upstairs to watch TV even if it's SD only :) ... well I get up there only to find she's got something recording. (DAG NAB IT!)

So I'm thinking if I give back the 622 and replace it with a 612, I lose nothing in the living room... right?

I'm also thinking I could (finally) activate the EHD feature and if she recorded something in the bedroom and wanted to watch it on the living room set, we could move it. Flexibility?

And if I replace the 508 in the bedroom with a 612, I gain HD AND she can record still record up there while I watch TV up there (we have a 27" LCD HD TV in the bedroom).... but will I get charged any new fees? Will they take AWAY any fees? (I know that's not likely) Will my bill likely change at all?

Finally... is the 612 a solid box? I have had absolutely no issues with the 622 I have. I'd hate to do this and find out the 612 is still beta, if you know what I mean.

So I'd just be replacing the "additional receiver access fee" with a "dvr fee"?

I mean... they don't charge BOTH do they?

They certainly do. The "additional receiver access fee" and "dvr fee" are unrelated. If you have locals and an AT___ package, DVR Advantage will in essence waive the first DVR fee. With AEP, all DVR fees are waived.

From what I read, you don't want a ViP612. At least, not yet.

If it's not too pressing, you might want to wait until more word comes out on Eastern Arc. This might happen at the Team Summit next week. In a few months, they might make you an offer for that 508.

Keep the ViP622, and all the recordings you have on it. You won't save any money by replacing it.

Ok... sounds like I should wait a bit. Not like it's an emergency or anything. Just ticked me off that she had BOTH TVs tied up. :)

I have since talked to her about it. Turns out she didn't know it was recording in the bedroom and was WATCHING that show down in the living room. So next time... I stop the recording and go to live mode and watch what I want :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)