622 & 722 & Harmony Remote

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
I currently have a 622 & 721 (SD) on the same TV.

Tomorrow, I'm swapping the 721 for a 722. The 622 & 721 will both be used in single mode.

I expect the 622 to respond to the 722 comands and vice versa. Normally one would just change the remote address on one of the receivers, but how do I do that with a Harmony remote without individually programming each button?

I am sure that someone more clever than I am will give you a better answer, but one approach would be to use the Dish remote to start the 722 (you may need to turn off the VIP622), follow the instructions in the manuel using the Dish remote to change the remote address on the VIP722, and then go to Harmony website and follow the usual instructions to replace the old receiver and program the VIP722.

A post script on the above suggestion, Harmony required that I place the Dish Remote beside the VIP722 to transfer the remote address from the Dish remote to the Harmony remote. As I recall, the website had pictures to show you the process, and the website will make the change on the VIP 722.

All you need tl do is once the 722 is installed in place of the 721 is "start" the harmony remote in the 721 mode and using the button on front of the 722 bring up the sys info screen the press the record button on the harmony and you will set the remote address to what you were using for the 721 & you'll be good to go. You might want to go into the harmony setup and change the activity name to view 722.

All you need tl do is once the 722 is installed in place of the 721 is "start" the harmony remote in the 721 mode and using the button on front of the 722 bring up the sys info screen the press the record button on the harmony and you will set the remote address to what you were using for the 721 & you'll be good to go. You might want to go into the harmony setup and change the activity name to view 722.

I don't understand this statement. I didn't think the 721 would ever have a problem with crosstalk since it's a few generations older than the 622. Because of that, on my online Harmony profile, I already deleted the 721 and added the 722 to be ready for the change tomorrow.

What you said does give me an idea though. Do you think this will work?
  • After installing the 722, turn on the 722 using the "view 722" activity.
  • This will undoubtedly effect the 622 as well.
  • Then, still using the Harmony remote, do as you said: bring up system info with front panel button.
  • Then, press the record button.
Will this "sync" the harmony remote to the 722 without interfering with the 622?

Hmmm...

after re-reading that, I don't think that's how it's done.

I guess, worst case scenario, I can change the remote address with the OEM 722's remote, then go to the Harmony profile and program each individual function.

You're 721 settings would have controled the 722 just fine. The IR commands are the same.

Once you get the 722 you can go into device settings (I think, not at home right now) and select confirm remote (not sure of exact name) and usig the 722 remote 1 (after you set to different code than 622) the harmony will then find the match in it's database. You still might need to make some minor changes but will be more likely good to use.

I have a Harmony 880. I had to do this with 2 Sony AV receivers in the same room.

#1 get your DISH remotes set up with separate IR addresses. I forget what Dish calls this but your 722 remote should be on a different IR "channel" than your 622 remote. Your Dish remotes MUST WORK CORRECTLY FIRST. This is very important.

#2 set up your 722 in the Harmony software.... I just used the web client. Update remote. You should now have your 622 activity and your 722 activity. You're not done yet.

#3 I can't remember exactly where in the Harmony setup this is... device I believe, but what you're looking for is "Confirm IR Language". It will ask you to press a few buttons on the remote and it will figure out the IR address to use for each one. So make sure when it's asking about the 622, that you have the remote for the 622 lined up with the Harmony. And when it's asking for the 722 remote, same thing. If you inadvertently switch remotes you'll screw this up. :) All that means though, is that you'll have to repeat #3 again..... not start all over.

I sell both Dish and Harmony and know where for I speak.

In fact, until I finished viewing all the content left on the hard drive on my 942, I did this exact thing when I installed my new 722.

Though this sounds stupid, on the Harmony set-up select one DVR as a Dish Network model DishPVR-501 and the other as a DishDVR-942. The reason for this is, that unlike most of the Dish receivers in the Harmony database, those two model numbers have the discreet Power On / Power Off as an option instead of just the default Power Toggle.

Harmony defaults to Dish's Remote #1, so you can just leave "as is" (after changing the "more options" / "adjust power settings" I mentioned above)

For the second DVR, take the remote that came with the Dish receiver and change it to a different remote code. for example, press the 'sys info" on the front of the receiver, then press the white "Sat" button on the remote until all the white buttons light up. Press "2" then #. Wait for the "Sat" button to blink 3 times then press "Record". You should see the Remote code change to "2" on the system info screen.

Now go back to the Harmony set up page (at the web based set-up page...NOT the software set-up. Go to members.harmoneyremote.com and login.

On the Device side of the page, click "more options" under the receiver you want to change to remote code "2".

Select "Confirm infrared commands".

It will then DL a small program to allow you to point at the bottom of the Harmony with your now "remote code 2" Dish remote.

It will ask you to press a few commands (like power/channel 1/direction up)

It will then recognize that you have a Code 2 remote.

(And PLEASE select "2" as the other code as it seems to have the complete Dish codes, while other Dish remote code addresses are spotty)

Finish up the wizard...update the remote and Happy Viewing!

I have a Harmony 880. I had to do this with 2 Sony AV receivers in the same room.

#1 get your DISH remotes set up with separate IR addresses. I forget what Dish calls this but your 722 remote should be on a different IR "channel" than your 622 remote. Your Dish remotes MUST WORK CORRECTLY FIRST. This is very important.

#2 set up your 722 in the Harmony software.... I just used the web client. Update remote. You should now have your 622 activity and your 722 activity. You're not done yet.

#3 I can't remember exactly where in the Harmony setup this is... device I believe, but what you're looking for is "Confirm IR Language". It will ask you to press a few buttons on the remote and it will figure out the IR address to use for each one. So make sure when it's asking about the 622, that you have the remote for the 622 lined up with the Harmony. And when it's asking for the 722 remote, same thing. If you inadvertently switch remotes you'll screw this up. :) All that means though, is that you'll have to repeat #3 again..... not start all over.
I was in the middle of writing my post when I got called to dinner.

Since I didn't expect anybody to come back with the correct answer, I just finished typing and hit send.

Had I seen your post, I wouldn't have bothered.

You got it exactly right!

(Though I do stress that "2" be chosen for the "other" code since the database is complete)

Thank you all so much.

I think I've got it. I'll try tomorrow after the 722 is in place.

Hehehehe....we've got 1 TV and will have 2 dual tuner HD DVR's. Up until this point it's been 1 dual tuner HD DVR and 1 dual tuner SD DVR. The reaon I upgraded is that sometimes there are actually times in which 2 HD tuners and 1 OTA isn't enough. Who wants to record Heroes in SD??!!

I primarily use the 721 for daily SD recordings like Family Guy, Robot Chicken, American Dad, etc. I really would like the name based recordings and the ability to group the recordings into files. Hence the reason I upgraded to the 722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)