622 and DD 5.1

kerronis

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
US and A
Hello All,

Just got my 622 and 311 installed today and I love it so far. Does the 622 have the ability to pass DD 5.1 to my home theatre system? I was thinking of using an optical audio cable out from the 622 into the home theatre system. The only problem is that my home theatre system has a digital audio coax input only (and obviously the 622 only has an optical audio out.) Before I go and buy an optical to coax adapter can someone please let me know if all the HD channels pump out DD 5.1, and if not, which ones do? I basically want surround sound for sporting events and movies.

Thanks!

The ViP622 does output 5.1- even over HDMI now.

You'll have to look at each movie or program playing to see which are in 5.1. Not enough of them for my tastes.

I'd love to hear from someone that knows if any sporting events are in 5.1. I never watch 'em.

I would say more often than not the HD channels are 5.1, assuming the show is actually HD. Most SD programs upconverted on the HD channels are 2.0. Universal HD is one that lacks though. This is based on the channels and programs I view which is most primetime programming and sporting events.

Watch out for depending on HDMI to be get DD sound. My Samsung HL-S5687 will output DD to optical (and HDMI maybe) from sound decoded by (antenna) it but for HDMI input (and all others) will only give 2.0. So the optical from the VIP622 must go to the sound system. I use a RS switch for up to 4 inputs although it just sits on the 622.

My RCA DRC8060N passes sound (not DD in, out maybe) through the live HDMI but not from my DVD+R recordings! Avoid. My "next" one will al least record component and not just S-video. I want that just slightly better picture and there are some component recorders although the cheap one (~130) I saw at BestBuy had coax, not optical, audio. Guess it will be a while for a Blu-Ray/HDDVD recorder and expensive too.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)