622 and DPP44 switch

jjjones

Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
Pacific Northwest
I have been a long time Dishnetworks customer, over 10 years, and have always done my own instalation.
My 921 was starting to exhibit the bugs that warrented a replacement, so I called Dish and they sent out a 622 and a DP34 and a so called qualified installer, after 3 hours they left and the reciever never worked as it should, the 311 worked fine, so i planned on fixing the instal myself, assuming the equipment was OK.
The 622 worked for about 18 hours before it just stopped, a check switch would not detect the installed 34 switch and I was limited to OTA Hd channels.
Another installer came out and replaced the 34 switch and it worked for another 18 hours.

In my last call to Dish they sent out a DPP44 and assured me this would fix the problem, the installer arrived and by this time I had fixed the previous attempts at instalation, found out the 34 switch was not connected correctly, hard to believe huh!
Installed the DPP44 and did the check switch and the 622 never would pass testing 1 of 1, on either tuner, the attached 301 checked fine.
Tried 3 different 44 switches and none of them worked on the 622.
Are there any known conflicts with the 622 and the DPP44 when there was a previous 34 switch installed?
Or any suggestions from any of the trained professionals on this board?

The system is working with a known good 34 switch, so maybe I should leave well enough alone.

Help!
Thanks
J.J.Jones

Okay...

So when you were plugged into the DP34 switch you had TWO homerun lines coming from the 34 going into sat input 1 and 2 on the 622, NO seperator, correct? If so all should be well.

If your using the DPP44, just plug the power inserter on Port 1 and leave it, you can utilize one line from the DPP44 to the 622 using the seperator, or you can get rid of the seperator and use two lines.

Remember NO diplexers on port 1!!!

The problems that I find especially with DPP44 switches its so sensitive to grounds, I prefer to install one of the adapters for outlets that have no ground. This also applies to the 622 itself, try putting a adapter on it or if you prefer barbarian style just rip the ground pin off the plug itself. I have also seen where I have had to disconnect the ground going the ground block in order to get all sats to pop in on the matrix. No it wasn't a hot ground, but it was something, I didn't sit there and analyze it for hours as simply put it worked fine with it NOT being grounded.

If this fails get a multimeter and check your voltage at your outlet, typically it should be about 118-119 volts, if your getting less or a few points more this could be a issue.

301 recievers are pretty good about having lowsy voltage going to it, the DVR stuff is pretty picky, as said so is the DPP44.

Also make sure the DPP44 on the power inserter is not plugged into a outlet such as a refrigerator or other type motor that will draw excess amount of current on startup. Yes this applies to the 622 as well.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, you are correct I had 2 lines running from the DPP44 to the 622 with the power inserter on port 1.
I also plugged the power inserter into a Monster Power line conditioner and reference power center, could that have caused a problem for the switch.

I am somewhat to surprised to hear the Dpp44 is so critical when it related to ground, I would have expected the switches without power inserters to be more sensitive.

From the way the 622 responds when attached to the DPP44, it never progresses past "Testing 1 of 1" on both tuners and then restarts the 622, it has me completely confused.

Any other help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
J.J.Jones

The only thing that comes to mind is the stingers on each cable coming from the LNBs. On a DP34 a regular stinger will be OK but on a DPP44 switch the center conductor (stinger) needs to be a little longer.

2 lines?

Thanks for the response, you are correct I had 2 lines running from the DPP44 to the 622 with the power inserter on port 1.
I also plugged the power inserter into a Monster Power line conditioner and reference power center, could that have caused a problem for the switch.

I am somewhat to surprised to hear the Dpp44 is so critical when it related to ground, I would have expected the switches without power inserters to be more sensitive.

From the way the 622 responds when attached to the DPP44, it never progresses past "Testing 1 of 1" on both tuners and then restarts the 622, it has me completely confused.

Any other help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
J.J.Jones
What are the 2 lines from the DPP 44 connected too?

Are there any known conflicts with the 622 and the DPP44 when there was a previous 34 switch installed?
Number 3 below should correct.

Although maybe not as much as the DPP-44, I've found that the DP-34 also needs a longer than normal center conductor. However:

1. As RandallA says, ensure coax cables going into the DPP-44 are extra long. 3/8" will not hurt.

2. Make sure you have the latest software download so that the DPP-44 will work with your receiver. I believe the 622 manual will tell you to use a DP Splitter to Sat 1 and Sat 2 Inputs using a single cable from Receiver Port 1, with either Sat 119 or 110 connected to Input Port 1. I think if a suitable splitter is not available (900 - 2150MHZ), you can connect it to the Sat 2 Input. This is from the long term-partial memory section of my brain. :D
NOTE: The DP Splitter is not the DP Separator that comes with the 622.

3. Once you have the correct software. Do a switch test without a switch. If it tells you it found less satellites, select save.

4. Then Connect the DPP-44 the way you want it, but no receivers except the 622, and then do a Switch Check.
NOTE: Make sure you select SuperDish, or other choices, if applicable.

NOTE: When connecting and disconnecting cables, make sure there is no power. I would just unplug the Sat Receiver, Power Inserter, and the TV set; as well as keep the other sat receiver disconnected from the DPP-44 until you have the DPP-44 and the 622 working.

I suspect you started with the cables being short, and then the receiver wouldn't look for a change in switches.

Last edited:
The ViP622 is compatible with DPP44 and separators in factory software. Something else is going on.

The ViP622 is compatible with DPP44 and separators in factory software. Something else is going on.
I had remembered one of the books saying the DPP-44 would not work unless the receiver took a software update, but I suspect that was for current and earlier receivers before the distribution of DPP-44.

When I was setting up a couple of receivers, the DP34, and DPP44, neither the vendor, nor Dish Advance Technical Support knew that the center conductor needed to be longer than normal, even after I questioned them about the length. So with that 3 week problem, it was hard to tell if shipped software was compatible or not. In addition, the cables not making good contact, caused erractic results when doing a check switch, even back to back checks without changing anything.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the responses, they are very helpfull.

Yesterday after work I tried to install the DPP44 again, I unplugged all receivers and disconnected all connectors.
I connected the power inserter into port 1 and reassembled the connections when everything was connected I plugged in the power inserter, then only the 622. The first screen that appeared, acquiring satellites, gave me a indication of things to come.
The system never did acquire any signal. I ran a check switch and this time the switch was recognized and did tests 4 of 4 on both tuners. It did not however, recieve any info from the LNB's. So what I think I have is a switch that is communicating with the receiver but not getting any info from the LNB's.

Does this sound like a bad switch or am I missing something? I also reconnected the 301 and ran a check switch, same results, checked 4 of 4 with no satellite reception.

The system is buggy with the 34 switch installed, each time I turn off the system it prompts me to run a check switch, so I really do want to get the 44 working.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks,
J.J.Jones

"So what I think I have is a switch that is communicating with the receiver but not getting any info from the LNB's."

Again, check the stinger on the cable coming from the LNBs. If it's too short the switch will not see the LNBs. The center conductor needs to be longer in the DPP44 switches.

I have not been able to get the DPP 44 to see the LNB's I tried longer stingers and that did not work, it seemed like a great suggestion but I think I have bigger problems.

I lived with the 34 switch for about two weeks and I finally got tired of doing a check switch each day when the receiver was off for a few hours, and called Dish again. They will be out after Thanksgiving. Now the 622 has a difficult time picking up the HD channels on 129

I live on Whidbey Island, about 60 miles Northwest of Seattle. in the Puget Sound.
I am luck enough to look right down the Saratoga Passage and receive OTA HD for the Seattle market over 45 miles away, with Channelmaster antenna and booster.

Thanks for all the help, this is a great site
J.J.J.

Power inserter

I have not been able to get the DPP 44 to see the LNB's I tried longer stingers and that did not work, it seemed like a great suggestion but I think I have bigger problems.

I lived with the 34 switch for about two weeks and I finally got tired of doing a check switch each day when the receiver was off for a few hours, and called Dish again. They will be out after Thanksgiving. Now the 622 has a difficult time picking up the HD channels on 129

I live on Whidbey Island, about 60 miles Northwest of Seattle. in the Puget Sound.
I am luck enough to look right down the Saratoga Passage and receive OTA HD for the Seattle market over 45 miles away, with Channelmaster antenna and booster.

Thanks for all the help, this is a great site
J.J.J.
For the DPP44 have you checked to see if the power inserter is supplying the voltage for it?
I have a cousin in Friday Harbor, I live in Tacoma and got my degree at Bates Technical College.

JJJ,

I wonder if whatchel1 is on to something? But since the DP34 doesn't use a power inserter (that I know), the problems should go away when it is in the mix; but you are still experiencing problems.

I'm down in Silverdale. If I was closer, I'd offer to go out and try and troubleshoot. Even if just to keep my troubleshooting skills in practice. My upgrade to 622 and DPP44 went super smoothly. The only hiccup I have seen is once in a while if I try to change to satellite channel from an OTA with weak signal (to the point of error message) my 622 will say I need to run a check switch. If I channel up back to OTA to get a signal lock, then back to satellite, it is fine. I don't have the benefit of a straight shot to the Seattle towers; just a million swaying trees in the way that create all kinds of multipath. Compared to my 811, the 622 is great, but I suspect they both gag trying to process the signal at times. Oh how I dream back to my days in Corpus Christi. No trees, no hills, and only 3 ATCS channels.

Miner

Gentlemen,
Thanks again for the advice, I am convinced that the DPP 44 has power and in some areas is functioning correctly. It checks itself fine but for some reason is not getting any info from the LNB's . It still may be the stinger length issue, that is the most likely explaniation, but I tried making a short jumper to increase the stinger length and that had no effect.
The installers did not leave sufficient cable for me to clip the ends and add new connectors with longer stingers.
I will live with the system until the installers come back out on Friday, and this time I will not let them leave until I am satisfied that everthing is working correctly.

It is a good thing I have strong OTA signal, it has been difficult to watch the 622 it is not close to my 921 in terms of resolution. I may take a giant leap backwards and reactivate my 921, it worked flawlessly since they day i installed it.
J.J.J.

I'm kinda late coming in here....

But, at one time there was a bug in that a 622 would not work running 2 cables to a DPP44. Did you try it with a separator?

Also, sometimes you have to disconnect all sat feeds and run a switch check to get the matrix cleared out.

I also ran into an interesting problem with one of my 622s (with DPP44 and separator). From the separator with port 1 connected to tuner 1 and port 2 connected to tuner 2, one of the 622 tuners was operating erratically. Failing switch checks and losing transponders.

I swapped the separator to tuner connection (port 1 to tuner 2), and the problem went away. Don't ask me why, but it's been operating this way since April.

Are they bringing another 622?

Gentlemen,
Thanks again for the advice, I am convinced that the DPP 44 has power and in some areas is functioning correctly. It checks itself fine but for some reason is not getting any info from the LNB's . It still may be the stinger length issue, that is the most likely explaniation, but I tried making a short jumper to increase the stinger length and that had no effect.
The installers did not leave sufficient cable for me to clip the ends and add new connectors with longer stingers.
I will live with the system until the installers come back out on Friday, and this time I will not let them leave until I am satisfied that everthing is working correctly.

It is a good thing I have strong OTA signal, it has been difficult to watch the 622 it is not close to my 921 in terms of resolution. I may take a giant leap backwards and reactivate my 921, it worked flawlessly since they day i installed it.
J.J.J.

With this statement about the resolution not as good as the 921 then the 622 may need to be replaced also.

Two thoughts: IIRC (not to contradict SmityWhity), the LNB inputs to the 44 are best with 119 on sat. port 1, 110 on port 2 and 129 on port 3. Might be worth checking if you haven't already. Also, confirm that you actually have a DC voltage out of the power insertor and available into receiver port 1. There have been several reports of faulty PIs in the threads...

I've been gone for over a week.

What happened on Friday? Did they replace the 622?

If they did not show up for the holidays, I would connect your old receiver and see if it all works. Even if its not activated, most models (if not all) will tell you if you have signals.

60 miles NW of Seattle -- I didn't think the 129 worked well up there!

SmityWhity,

We got slammed with snow starting Sunday morning and its been a mess since then. I can't speak for JJJones but with the 24" dish, I pick up 129 pretty well. I'm about 45 miles south of him and did have dropouts with a regular Dish 500 pan and I bracket. Haven't had any since going with the big dish.

I am curious about what the solution was.

Miner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)