622 died and can't upgrade

jerrya72

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Northern Michigan
So after having my 622 for a couple of years my hard drive gave out. I
talked to tech support on chat and they said I couldn't upgrade to a 722k so I could get a sling adapter (I don't mind paying the upgrade fee), said they would send a receiver but could not guarantee what model. Does that sound right?

Sadly, yes.

It is unlikely you would get a ViP622, but that is possible. In some areas of the country, people are reporting still getting ViP722 DVRs. If you aren't paying, or are only paying shipping, then the luck of the draw is the most you can expect. If you're paying, say $199, then I'd tell them if the guy shows up with anything other than a ViP722k, then I won't let him in.

FWIW, I'm quite happy with my two ViP722 DVRs. And if you get the k model, you'll need to buy a separate OTA module if you want to get OTA. Or negotiate for them to kick it in for free. But it doesn't sound like they'll be amenable. DISH seems to bend a lot less than they did a couple of years ago.

I'm tempted to say if I wanted the k features, I'd insist on it even if just replacing one of my ViP722 DVRs. But DISH may be pushing people to move all the way to a ViP922, which is finally a good unit. Too bad they charge an extra fee each month for it.

Since you have a 622, if we do the DIU (Dish'n It Up/equipment upgrade) with the shipped receiver option, you would be sent a 722. After you have the 722 installed, you can order the sling adapter online.

RA's can't be canceled, you can refuse shipping on it and UPS will get it back to us. DIU qualifications are account specific, so I'd have to look at the account to make sure it can be done.

Does somebody at Dish hate you? :haha ;)

Probably, and I'm about fed up with Dish and their piss poor CSR's who become experts after a week of OJT. I'm sure Direct is just as bad. Seems it take 5 hours of phone time to accomplish a simple thing because of the constant mistakes. RARELY do you connect with someone who is actually factual and helpful. Of course they probably pay those folks chump change.

I got a new TV a few months back and when I hooked up the HDMI cable it would not work. I had used the component cables on the old set. The Vip 622 was the culprit. DISH swapped it out with another one. Cost me $15 for shipping

I think the secret lies in doing one step at a time.

Waiting for something to die is something you do when you want to buy new gear. Waiting for something leased to die in hopes of getting a better replacement is folly.

I got a new TV a few months back and when I hooked up the HDMI cable it would not work. I had used the component cables on the old set. The Vip 622 was the culprit. DISH swapped it out with another one. Cost me $15 for shipping
Why should you have to go through the aggravation AND pay $15 ($25) to boot ..... that sucks. The CSR's pull that all the time and they can send a replacement at no cost to you if it is their problem and they want to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)