622 discontinued?

Roxor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Indiana
Sorry if this has been posted before. I was just looking at the Dish website and could not find the 622 listed as either a DVR or HD receiver. Is the 622 now discontinued, or did Dish screw up again?

It's discontinued. what they do have is refurbished 622's for replacing the ones that break on subs.

Over a year ago, when I ordered a 722, there were three differences between the 622 and 722; color (silver vs. black), storage capacity, and the 722 supported one video codec that the 622 didn't. There's no point in trying to make a new 622. The 722 is the new entry-level HD Duo DVR, with the 722K taking it's place as the "advanced" upgrade.

It's discontinued. what they do have is refurbished 622's for replacing the ones that break on subs.
Thanks for the info. So, what happens if one of my 622's breaks? Will they upgrade me to a 722 and want me to sign another 2-year DHA, or give me a refurb 622? I am out of contract now, thank heavens, and I do not want anymore extended contracts.

Most likely get a refurb 622, maybe for a couple of years to come. If a time comes when they're out of 622s, and you're still a DHPP customer, they would be fenced (not forced) into giving you a refurb 722.

If you have a 622 right now, and you like it, keep it. It makes more sense to spend $40 on the external storage device fee and expand the disk yourself. Unless you absolutely hate the silver case (it wouldn't fit in my rack), there's no call to get a 722. The 722K is a significant step up [from the 622]; more storage, more tuners, new platform, and is worth $100 upgrade + extension to a lot of customers.

Last edited:
"there's no call to get a 722. The 722K is a significant step up; more storage, more tuners, new platform, and is worth $100 upgrade + extension to a lot of customers"

I thought the 722 and 722k had the same size hard drive.

Note that there are also unconfirmed reports that 722's are also being discontinued, although there appear to be plenty in stock. That leaves the 722K and upcoming 922 for HD-DVR.

I was just looking at the Dish website and could not find the 622 listed as either a DVR or HD receiver.
Searching for ViP622 probably didn't get any results because they renamed it to "High Definition Duo DVR Receiver" recently. The ViP722 became the "Enhanced High Definition Duo DVR Receiver".

And the 722 has been replaced by the 722K.

I wouldn't go that far, yet. The 722 is still listed as available on the site, and an American CSR insisted that if I wanted to replace my 722 with a K, I'd have to pay about $75 plus the OTA module.

Thanks for the info. So, what happens if one of my 622's breaks? Will they upgrade me to a 722 and want me to sign another 2-year DHA, or give me a refurb 622? I am out of contract now, thank heavens, and I do not want anymore extended contracts.

they'll probably give you a refurb 622. the upgrade to a 722 will probably require a 2 year contract.

I wouldn't go that far, yet. The 722 is still listed as available on the site, and an American CSR insisted that if I wanted to replace my 722 with a K, I'd have to pay about $75 plus the OTA module.

But it reportedly is no longer being manufactured. Would you believe the 722k is cheaper based on the components needed to manufacture.

Sorry if this has been posted before. I was just looking at the Dish website and could not find the 622 listed as either a DVR or HD receiver. Is the 622 now discontinued, or did Dish screw up again?

Dish screwed up when it released the 622 to begin with.

J-U-N-K, pure and simple.

There's some J-U-N-K in every production run of every product in known history. For the most part my ViP622 experience has been trouble free.

There's some J-U-N-K in every production run of every product in known history. For the most part my ViP622 experience has been trouble free.

My vip622 experience was trouble free too for 4 years. my father on the other hand has gone through 4 622's in 3 years. his setup is fine and he knows how to use it correctly. hopefully this last 622 lasts longer.

Pure BS

Dish screwed up when it released the 622 to begin with.

J-U-N-K, pure and simple.

Your statement is pure BS. 722 is only a 622 w/a bigger hard drive with 1 codec added to it. For the most part the 622's were good units. I had one of the C versions that were junk and E8 contacted me and replaced it for free.