622 HDMI Audio Question

brikim

Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
I am getting a new receiver that has HDMI connections. My question is does the 622 add the DD5.1 audio over the HDMI cable like my bitstreaming Blu-Ray player or will I still have to use two cables (HDMI and optical) for surround sound for the 622?

Thanks

Yes it will pass the 5.1 through the HDMI........I assume you have the tv's optical output going to your surround system?
Then it's up to your TV to pass it through correctly;)

Most newer HD (last two years) sets will not pass through 5.1, just stereo surround, so optical to receiver is necessary if receiver does not have HDMI.

Thanks for the info. I was planning on running the 622 via HDMI to the receiver first then use the hdmi out on the receiver to my tv. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to use the optical out from the 622 to the receiver to get the surround sound.

"I was planning on running the 622 via HDMI to the receiver first then use the hdmi out on the receiver to my tv. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to use the optical out from the 622 to the receiver to get the surround sound."

That is exactly how I have it done...I never use the TV for audio. Just make sure you have the 622's audio output on the correct setting. I think it is Dolby Digital + PCM.

Thanks for the info. I was planning on running the 622 via HDMI to the receiver first then use the hdmi out on the receiver to my tv. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to use the optical out from the 622 to the receiver to get the surround sound.
Makes no difference either way. Optical is a lot thinner, less cable clutter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)