622 HDMI Question

sirkirby

Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
Does the 622's HDMI interface support HDCP?

Basically trying to figure out if it will work properly with my Onko receiver...my previous Comcast/Motorola HD DVR did not support HDCP, so the receiver would not allow the box to be connected via HDMI. Personally, I don't think the receiver should be restring the video at all, but from the reading I've done, all of the name brand receiver require HDCP encrypted streams.

Thanks,

Chris

I don't beleave it uses HDCP. I have a VP50 scaler and I switched the HDCP to off and the 622 keeps playing. If I do that with my HD-DVD player it stops playing.

The 622 HDMI supports HDCP, but it's not turned on.

I really don't see why this should matter to the receiver. It might be more of an issue with the Motorola box (or the receiver) not handshaking properly.

I'd try complaining to Onkyo.

I use my 622 with a DVI switchbox (which shouldn't be very different then what's in the receiver), and it works fine.

Evidentally, from the research I've done, there is no way to disable the HDCP requirement on the Onkyo receiver. So, if the HDCP feature is not enabled, then I believe the receiver will kill the stream as it did with the Motorola box. And, after reading the cnet review linked by bunkerbob, it appears that jvc, denon, and others are the same. So much for the convenience of digital...And, i have the feeling that this won't be the last DRM incompatibility (or lack there of) in the home theatre, especially with hd dvd and blue-ray around the corner.

Evidentally, from the research I've done, there is no way to disable the HDCP requirement on the Onkyo receiver. So, if the HDCP feature is not enabled, then I believe the receiver will kill the stream as it did with the Motorola box. And, after reading the cnet review linked by bunkerbob, it appears that jvc, denon, and others are the same. So much for the convenience of digital...And, i have the feeling that this won't be the last DRM incompatibility (or lack there of) in the home theatre, especially with hd dvd and blue-ray around the corner.

Both the 211 and the 622 have worked perfectly with the Denon AVR-4306 and the Pioneer VSX-84TXSi.

I have serious doubts about the accuracy of the CNet report.

Perhaps

Both the 211 and the 622 have worked perfectly with the Denon AVR-4306 and the Pioneer VSX-84TXSi.

I have serious doubts about the accuracy of the CNet report.

Perhaps
I also have never heard that a HDCP source is required for a HDMI receiver/TV to work. If there is no HDCP from the source then it is not copy protected so why would the receiver/TV reject the signal?:confused:

Well, i just hooked up the HDMI last night and the signal worked fine with my Onkyo TX-SR803...So the only conclusion i can come to is that the 622 must support HDCP. However, there is a problem with the digital audio over hdmi as topcats69 mentioned. For some reason it will only pass a pcm stream no matter what the audio format. So my final solution was to use the hdmi interface for video only, and use an optical cable for digital sound.